Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Is it me or PS Vita is dead in Europe and NA?

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Noli

So not long time ago I went to see what kind of games I can find in game shops in my town. What I found made me feel kind of shocked. In the biggest shops there were only games from Lego franchise and kid titles. In smaller game shops they had maybe 2-3 games and those were as well Lego or kids games. Looking at the PS store I was surprised to find that at some point they stopped putting PSP, or even PS1/PS2 titles on the Store. UK version of the store has maybe 1/3 of the titles from the US store, and maybe 1/64 of the titles in Japan store for the Vita/PSP. What about that PS1/PS2 titles on the PS4? I think they will abanddon it after some time as they did with many things in the past.

I do love my Vita a lot, but at some point Sony Europe just said... Vita is garbage in our Europe, let's bury it. No wonder it sold so badly... if you don't put good games you will not sell it at all. And yes, I do know Europe and Japan are different, not to mention US. It's really stupid when I have to import games from US or Japan to be able to play them. They don't even need to be translated, just let me buy them SONY in place where I live!

I want so many games that came in US or Japan on Vita, but because the way Vita works I would have to buy additional Memory Cards, making another accounts, buying Jap PS points... too much work and money. Not worth it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It doesn't do well outside of Japan and Sony have stopped commenting on it here. Even in their big FAQ about the PS4Pro they mentioned remote play and didn't bother to mention the Vita.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Totally dead, and I loved my vita. With binding of isaac, rogue legacy, spelunky, necrodancer etc. it pretty much became my dedicated roguelite console. Nowadays I'm sitting on old firmware waiting to see how the modding scene takes off after the recent exploits

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Yup, you'd be lucky in the Pacific to find Vita games at "major" game outlets. In saying that though, I play my Vita all the time and only buy from the PS Store anyhow so it doesn't bother me.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I loved the idea of the Vita, it just never really took off as a legitimate platform. I bought one the day it came out with Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus. I thought this was what that system was built for: full games, built from scratch specifically for the system itself, or older games redone. In my mind it went like this: if this thing fails it'll just have older games as a draw and no new purpose built ones. That means I'll be playing Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy yada yada.

Well, no. Much to my surprise, it never featured any games really beyond Ninja Gaiden, on top of not having any games of its own.

It received a tiny boost of hope with Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars, but games like that were never released again. I have no idea if they did well or not, I assume not which would explain why games like that weren't made again. It's too bad really, the system itself makes a ton of sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Viva la Vita.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to dig a hole for the poor soul and bury it in Mad Dog juice.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not dead, just never took off enough to justify shelf-space. I think I've bought like one Vita title in an actual store? Course I've bought most of my PS4 physical titles through Amazon too...

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of is, sort of not. There's still plenty of games coming out for it, but practically all these games are ones that the vast majority of western gamers don't care about (read: anime-ish). Since in most video games in Japan now anime is the be-all end-all kind of style, and because just about all new Vita games are Japanese, it makes sense.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my beautiful little JRPG machine. I also got one the day it came out and was certainly expecting more support for it over its lifespan, but looking back I've put in many hours on it, and continue to do so with games like Trails of Cold Steel II, so I can't really complain too much.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think it is very much alive but it depends on what games you want to play. As a machine for JRPGs, Visual Novels and such it is great and there are plenty of games still being released for it this year and the next. If you are not into Japanese games then you are out of luck. I love my Vita and the crazy amount of games on it that before would never have made it out of Japan like Senran Kagura, and a ton of JRPGs especially dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Travelers 2 for example and Visual Novels.

If you like Senran Kagura then Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni is pretty much that game but with different girls, coming very soon.

If you like Criminal Girls (Not a great dungeon crawler but has some fans) then the sequel is coming this month.

If you like Trails of Cold Steel (which is a great game) then the sequel is soon out.

Steins;Gate 0 is coming in November. I Liked Steins;Gate but I have not read up on this prequel.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a surprise Vita gift for my birthday last week, so I went out looking for games. Seems like things are so bad in the West that stores like Gamestop and Target don't even have a section for Vita games in store or on their website. Ended up having to download everything from PSN.

There's stuff there, but it seems very... Niche, I guess. If you're into that niche though, it seems like a great little device to have around. Just, get a bigger memory card.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I just bought one basically because I own 90% of the good games on it through cross-buy or PS Plus. I even invested in the absurdly expensive 64GB card.

I've liked it lots so far, though the best stuff is how sharp the 2D games like Shovel Knight look. It's really too bad it never took off, because I wish Nintendo's handhelds were a bit more powerful (even though I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy.)

Here's hoping the NX is that perfect blend of portable and console that it sounds like it will be.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play handhelds (if that's what I can call them) really. What I can say is that my brother does, and honestly, he plays the Vita way more than the 3DS (and he tells me he's surprised that he gets more out of the Vita than the 3DS), though has the same amount of games. He buys the games on Amazon. That said, yeah, I've heard that most people don't find much to really play on it. I didn't play any of the 3DS games, but I beat Uncharted: Golden Abyss the day Uncharted 4 came out; it was good, and I played a little of Killzone Mercenaries, and was impressed. My brother is into the Japanese stuff though, so there's more options there I presume.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BelowStupid

Unless you like weird to bad japanese games, or indie ports it's been dead for years. I wouldn't say I regret getting it, but I'm JUST on the side of being ok owning a Vita. The psp was so much more incredibly satisfying to own. Trying to buy physical copies, or used ones for Vita is abysmal. The prices never drop because there are so few out there.

CZYjoeDAVOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like noticing the sky is blue.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigsocrates  Online

Vita's not dead it's just a niche system. Aren't they doing a bunch of colors for the system? I think it's still selling in small amounts, and has a large enough fanbase that some games get ported and some get localized, but not enough for it to be a primary system. In a lot of ways it resembles the Saturn (and has a similar install base.) It's a cool system that some people love, and it has a lot of releases, but not a ton of huge titles (at least not platform exclusive) and not a lot of buzz.

That being said I recently stopped carrying my Vita around with me, but that's mostly because I've finally decided to accept that I don't really enjoy handheld gaming very much.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There's some, stuff. Just not first party, stuff.

*Vita continues to collect dust*

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've never seen a Vita in the wild here in the Netherlands.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Vita is the best system for playing disgaea and persona on the go.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates

If I were gonna give someone a gift to "get them into gaming" I'd still probably buy a Vita and load it up with more amazing games than one can keep track of. Most of the best indies of the last five years have come over, it's got the Persona games taken care of, it's got SO MANY PS1 JRPGs, Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear 1-3...it's a pretty amazing little device. The dedicated Vita software never really took off; even Danganronpa is on Steam now, right? But between a 3DS and a Vita, you can catch up on a massive swath of the period before the PC-console convergence as well as the indie scene.

Otherwise, yeah, thing's dead.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigsocrates  Online

If I were gonna give someone a gift to "get them into gaming"

No Caption Provided

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita software sales are actually pretty strong and it's far from dead. Why do you think so many games are released for it. Nobody buys the physical versions of the games though. Why would you want physical media for a portable system?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been dead almost since it came out

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Its slowly dying in the west. 1st party have been dead since forever and 3rd party been keeping it alive but i'm not sure how long that will last.

Mimakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought mine last year. with games such as Persona 4, FF X Dragon's Crown, Odin's Sphere and Muramasa, i think it has a strong line-up. Apart from these I use it to play discounted old games like Suikoden II, FF IX , and such. Works for since i never had a Playstation, so I can enjoy some games I missed portably. And I don't really regret not buying a DS instead.Even though it has stronger support and library. looking forward to Dragon Quest builders and FF World and umawari.

acidcrashx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really like my Vita, it's served me well over the years and I've imported a JP 'slim' model about 6 months ago which has gotten a good amount of use BUT i'm definitely in the minority when it comes to this, no one else I know (the gamers at least) use their vita, some of them I bet wouldn't know where the thing is.

It's a big shame really as I think the vita hardware is some of the best Sony has produced, it's a great machine.

I'm waiting for Steins;Gate 0, New Danganronpa V3: Minna no Koroshiai Shingakki and Root Letter .. apparently I really like VNs

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I live in Europe and I've never seen a PS Vita in the wild.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know whether to start a new thread or just add to this one.

For some reason Dragon Quest Builder make me think that now was a good time to buy a Vita. It turns out it's just not being sold in Canada anymore. Bestbuy and EBgames no longer even list the Vita in their database and the only way to buy one on Amazon.Ca is a shady 3rd party seller that wants $500 for the thing. Its a shame because if I want to play Vita games, I have to risk spending money on an Ebay listing. I guess the PS Vita is dead.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@geirr: You never see portable gaming at all IMO

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here in the Midwestern United States, game shelves in stores have very little Vita games if at all. Seems like if you want physical carts for the Vita, you have to order them from Amazon or whatever online shopping site you use.

I love my Vita even though I don't come across a lot of opportunities to play it. (Don't travel a lot and when I'm home, I just want to play games on my big TV).

wiseogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wiseogre

Like many people have already said, it's definitely just a case of it never really picked up much traction. Great looking machine, beautiful screen (If you have the OLED model) and has given me a lot of joy personally. Picked it up after the crew mentioning Persona 4 frequently and wanting to see what all the fuss was about, since then it's just been my gateway into JRPG's.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was amazing on it as well to be fair, replayed three and two! I too, have never seen one in the wild (UK), though I know a few people who have them... gathering dust.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.