Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

April Vita lineup and upcoming titles

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BlackLagoon

It's April, and it's time for another edition of my monthly Vita games list. As usual, this list is focused on the North American market, with Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.

In a bit of an unusual situation, this month's annouced releases are all retail titles: Ragnarok Odyssey returns with the expanded Ace version, while Sony provides the latest edition of its highly rated annual MLB The Show baseball franchise. Atlus makes child soldiers fun again with Conception II, and NISA gives the west its first taste of RPG developer Experience with the Wizardry-style dungeon crawler Demon Gaze. Most likely more downloadable titles will be annouced as the month progresses though.

Looking back at March, it boasted new Vita game announcements galore, with the west getting about 17, while Japan jumping ahead with 19. For retail games, it started off with XSEED surprising no-one with their previously teased localization of modern day action-adventure Akiba's Trip 2. Then Idea Factory International revealed they'd be taking over the Nep-Neping duties with the Vita remake of the first Hyperdimension Neptunia game. Things got a bit less predictable when Sega annouced they'd be bringing over Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd, with a retail release no less. And even more unexpected was Bandai's press release that they were porting the previously 3DS exclusive One Piece: Unlimited World Red to the Vita with additional content but also bringing it to North America and Europe (and in spite of initial reports, it will see a limited retail release in NA through GameStop). Finally, just hot off the wires, NISA is publishing Kadokawa's SRPG Natural Doctrine in the west later this year.

Oh, and the indie/PSN torrent continues with Foul Play, Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, Cel Damage HD, Forma.8, Galak-Z: The Dimensional, Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops, Rocketbirds 2: Evolution, Race the Sun, Aztez, Dragon Fin Soup, Hand of Fate, and Jet Car Stunts.

In Japan, highlights include the Ico sounding Hotaru no Nikki from NIS, games based on franchises like Prince of Stride and The Irregular at Magic High School, a port of the newest Nobunaga's Ambition game, and Idea Factory throwing their full bishonen-powered might behind the Vita with 8 new games and a port from its Otomate label.

And we're done. Come back next month when Class of Heroes creator ZeroDiv tries their hand at something a bit more Persona-ish with Mind Zero:

April

Retail

Downloads

Next few months?

Retail

Downloads

Rest of the year

Retail releases

Downloads

Unconfirmed/Vaporware

Europe

(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)

Japan

(Incomplete list of Japanese titles that have yet to be announced for western release)

Upcoming

Retail (released)

Download (released)

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mustainium

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Sly and GoW collections. Sanzaru gives me hope, since Sly 4 runs pretty well on the Vita.

I'll probably be in for Borderlands 2, provided the frame-rate is at least decent. What I'm really hoping for is that Iron Galaxy allowed for those god awful cut-scenes to be skipped. The game can be funny at times, but when it tries to get serious, it's just awful. Those awkward nine second character introduction splash-screens need to be eliminated as well.

Also, where the hell is Duke Nukem 3D?

Great list btw, very well organized.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

Woah, I did not see that news about Natural Doctrine's localization. I don't know that much about the game, but it's a strategy RPG so I'm forced to at least give it a shot.

Much like every other console, it's looking a little barren in April. I would look into Ragnarok Odyssey Ace if I was starved for MH style games, but I haven't even dug my teeth into MH3U yet. I think I could safely skip it.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By ManMadeGod

I'm not sure what happened to The Wolf Among Us for Vita. It was suppose to come out late 2013 along side the iOS version. Then TellTale said we would find out more after the holiday season. Here we are on April 1st with no news. It may very well be dead..........

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By plop1920

I hope the sly cooper collection comes out ok after the disappointing Jak collection with its frame rate issues

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I would kill for a U.S. release of Winning Post 8.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklagoon: Great post, I've been looking for a list like this for some time now.

@manmadegod: They might have decided to hold off and just release it all at once?

NoMoreMutants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NoMoreMutants

I'm planning to get a vita at the end of this month, really hope the Borderlans 2 port turns out well!

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadegod said:

I'm not sure what happened to The Wolf Among Us for Vita. It was suppose to come out late 2013 along side the iOS version. Then TellTale said we would find out more after the holiday season. Here we are on April 1st with no news. It may very well be dead..........

Where's The Wolf Among Us episode 3 for anything? Seems to me that Telltale has simply bitten off more than it can chew, promising too many games for too many platforms and is struggling to deliver anything on time. The Walking Dead did show up eventually, and there's no reason to believe Wolf won't either.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklagoon: They put trailers out for it just yesterday/today.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jesus_Phish

One thing at a time!

I do agree with you though, it feels like they've taken on way too much and it's impacting their current output.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ManMadeGod

@manmadegod said:

Where's The Wolf Among Us episode 3 for anything? Seems to me that Telltale has simply bitten off more than it can chew, promising too many games for too many platforms and is struggling to deliver anything on time. The Walking Dead did show up eventually, and there's no reason to believe Wolf won't either.

The worst part about Telltale is their total lack of transparency. Instead of coming out and saying that Wolf Among Us for Vita has been delayed..... they say nothing.

Also they just came out 2 days ago and said Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us and the new Game of Thrones game are all coming out FireTV. Guess we should expect those in 2016.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone know if Blazblue CP is getting a European release?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: I don't think anything's been announced, but Zen United has typically handled the BlazBlue games in Europe. They can be a bit slow though.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo: Hey, I think it the game looks rather interesting given the lengths it goes to recreate an authentic Akibahara, complete with real brands and stores. Sort of like a silly otaku version of Yakuza. Even Super Potato is apparently in it, so Jeff could use it to practice for The Raid.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@blacklagoon: the video I watched reminded me a lot of Yakuza and a little of Kenka Bancho.

I doubt they go there, but there seems like a lot of potential in a game about beating up strangers in a crowded street in daylight and stripping their clothes off to consider the possibility that the people aren't actually vampires and you're just playing an insane character.

I'm assuming vampires have invented clothes that protect them from the sun and you have to expose them to the sun to kill them. Not the craziest or most offensive thing I've seen in a game, especially from japan, but with all the sensitivity about rape culture these days it seems like people could make a huge deal about this one especially Americans on twitter.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ugh, i may have to get one of these at some point? or maybe i can show some restraint? or if i can't, should i get a $150 refurb one that has the OLED screen or just get the LCD one bundled with BL2?

tbh i'm trying to justify getting one for Luftrausers alone

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ripelivejam: You should try to get an OLED one, the screen is definitely worth it. Battery life is a little lower but I don't find when I'm out and about that the battery is an issue because i don't spend 6 hours away from home straight gaming without my charging cables.

Also from all the previews, BL2 seems to be coming along pretty terribly. I haven't read a single positive article about it. But don't let that sway you from getting a Vita because there are other games!

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlackLagoon

Just did a sizable update to this blog, adding a bunch of indies and the localization announcements for Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Tales of Hearts, and Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

tbh i'm trying to justify getting one for Luftrausers alone

Oh don't worry; I basically got my Vita because I wanted to beat Spelunky at some point in my life. Also, Lumines.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contraception huh? Guess I'll be getting that, too crazy not to

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.