Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 4.50 Transferring Games

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I moved house recently to a lovely new property development site with sadly the slowest internet I've had in years, 0.5Mb/s. I download all my games but since I've moved this can take days.

With 4.50 I thought I would be able to log in to my profile on another PS4, download the game and copy to my PS4, but that doesn't seem possible. My friend and I usually buy the same games so having to download it twice seems so redundant.

Am I right or is there actually a method to get this copied from one PS4 to another? Copied, not moved.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@dave_tacitus: If you are talking about the new external update for games, yeah it supposedly works just like that.

But as to what the OP was talking about, i think he is asking to basically copy his friends games off of his PS4, then copy them onto the OP's PS4 since he has crappy internet? Which the new update "moves" the game to the external, which is not what he wants. And the transfer process other have been talking about after reading up says he can select which games/content he wants to transfer/"copy", but then it formats the PS4's HDD that is getting the "copy", so not really a good solution for the OP. I think its an odd use case that will never be addressed.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

For some reason I remember seeing data transfer options buried somewhere in my PS4 options menu at one point. I want to say you can do this by connecting two PS4s with a LAN cable and using the proper menu options, but I only have the one so I've no opportunity to use it.

It stands to reason that it can be done. It would be stupid of Sony to not do this if they have people upgrading to the PS4 Pro.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@lawgamer@baillie: Yep, there seem to be options there - I'm upgrading to a Pro some time next week and was checking through my existing PS4's settings menus after today's firmware update.

How well this works, I have no idea.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: I did it when i bought Pro and it worked well! I did it via network cable, because doing it over wifi might be a bad idea. It took 3 hours to transfer about 800GB of stuff.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not on topic, but does anyone know how to clear notifications now? There doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@pompouspizza: I don't think you do anymore. They've consolidated that area and it'll no longer become a new notification after you look at it I think. I'm actually glad 'cause I have a pea brain that NEEDS to clear that kinda stuff.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you can copy games between PS4s like you want to do. You can migrate to a new PS4, but not copy single games.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I don't think you can copy games between PS4s like you want to do. You can migrate to a new PS4, but not copy single games.

I didn't do it because I didn't want to transfer to my PS4 but I'm pretty sure you are right. I think its an all or nothing proposition. It's in the systems menu if I remember though and both PS4's have to be on the same network.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fierrze: Thanks for the tip!

Now, in an ideal world I'd be able to unplug my 1TB USB drive from my old PS4 which now is half filled with games, plug it into my new Pro and work immediately on my account.

I doubt the world's that kind.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: yeah. I think the only way it could be possible is to move the data to a hard drive and then clone the hard drive.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my Pro today and just to confirm - I was able to plug my old PS4's USB drive straight into the new console, play the games from it or transfer them to the Pro's HD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.