Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Paradox Interactive AB

Company »

A Swedish publisher and developer best known for its strategy games, mainly released for the PC.

Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing from CCP Games

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing from CCP Games

New Paradox Subsidiary will Operate Independently and Manage All White Wolf Properties, Including World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade

Full press release here.

It's probably too much to hope for a new Vampire: The Masquerade game, right? Big sprawling RPGs isn't exactly what Paradox is known for. And since they cancelled Runemaster it seems even less likely they would dive into another big project like that.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Vampire + Ridiculously Complex Strategy game! Fantastic.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You'll get a new Vampire game, only it'll be like EU4 but instead of kings and popes it'll be the different factions of the Vampire universe looking to control America.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@falk: I don't think necessarily.

They at least just published PoE so maybe we could imagine they could get another studio to make an RPG. I would be really hopefully that could come together. That series does very well as a video game I think so lets hope it happens.

Listening to that interview with Paradox on the site, it seemed like they were interested in growing and seemed open to all genres. They even discussed how Crusader Kings II was more of an RPG than strategy game . I think they are pretty open to making RPGs.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

hell yeah i'd play that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:
    @fredchuckdave said:

hell yeah i'd play that.

You'll get a new Vampire game, only it'll be like EU4 but instead of kings and popes it'll be the different factions of the Vampire universe looking to control America.

That could seriously be a great game. Vampire Kings.

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Good point. I wouldn't mind a PoE-style V:TM game. Isometric, turn based combat with a lot of depth and freedom in how you approach situations. Seems more likely than something like Bloodlines anyway.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Thank God...CCP was squandering that franchise every second they owned it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Vampire grand strategy where you lead one of several vampire cabals who seek world domination while also not being found out by the humans.

Yes please.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@falk: Yeah that would be a step up for sure in cost to make a Bloodlines type game, but that would work.

I would be happy with that isometric game too and that's what I'm hoping for. But I think the game can be done in many styles. The setting is just fun and different than what you see in most RPGs. You could really make a "Vampire Kings" game and have that be awesome.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhere, Chris Avellone just started salivating and he isn't sure why.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An EU4 style game where you are a prince of a city trying to expand your influence could be fucking AMAZING.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Great news! An unneccessary MMO is among the least attractive uses of the WoD license I can imagine. Paradox is perfectly comfortable with embracing the niche and they already have a relationship with Obsidian. This could get very, very exciting.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampire's IP owned by guys working with Obsidian. Please god make it happen.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falk said:
    Big sprawling RPGs isn't exactly what Paradox is known for. And since they cancelled Runemaster it seems even less likely they would dive into another big project like that.

Paradox have actually cancelled two grand strategy games in the past few years called Magna Mundi and East vs West. Just because they cancelled Runemaster doesn't mean they are any less open to making an RPG - if anything, Runemaster probably taught them the limits of what they can produce and if they were to make another RPG in the future, it'd be a more refined project.

Paradox has a tendency to cancel games instead of releasing broken crap, which is one of many reasons why they are my favourite publisher.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They said that Vampire will have it's own team, separate from the Grand Strategy one. They could do some cool stuff with that IP.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank goodness. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff, but it always bummed me out to see CCP do nothing with them year after year. How long were they teasing World of Darkness before they pulled the plug? because it felt like forever.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

This was surprising, to say the least, and in a good way too! Paradox can do great things with The World of Darkness, even if it's ridiculously convoluted at this point. I actually had no idea that CCP owned the IP up until now either.

You know, if I'm not mistaken Paradox got started as the "interactive entertainment" branch of Target Games, which was Sweden's no 1 tabletop RPG publisher in the 80's and 90's. Pretty cool that Paradox would go on to take over one of the most well known RPG franchises.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@babychoochoo said:

Thank goodness. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff, but it always bummed me out to see CCP do nothing with them year after year. How long were they teasing World of Darkness before they pulled the plug? because it felt like forever.

That's what I'm getting out of all this. It's really unfortunate that CCP couldn't make something happen out of that acquisition.

I would love a new Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines like game, but really anything of half decent quality at this point would be welcome news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.