Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ouya

Platform »

The Ouya is an Android-based device that hooks up to TVs and plays video games.

Oyua playing Broderlands 2

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MrMazz

I was surfing around and found this video of an Oyua "playing" Borderlands 2 via the Nvida Grid Tech. The Oyua and other “micro consoles” are something I am growing more and more interested in. If these currently annouced concoles or a future one were able to make cloud gaming an actual pillar of their service and good…not bad in the GameFly OnLive way. They might have something there. Why would people want to buy a PS4/Xbone for hundreds of dollars if they can pick up this and have a service just as good?

All of this is still largely unproven but I wonder what the minium specs would be needed to do this sort of thing. Nvidia has that Shield thing or is that just another controler? Or maybe Sony with Gaikai could possibly take over the market before it even starts. Or Microsoft buys someone and does the same thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mrmazz: " not bad in the GameFly way"

What?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@everettescott: O man I totally confused GameFly for OnLive...those sound alike kinda sorta definatly.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

So it sounds like they are trying to do OnLive but smarter?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

At the moment cloud gaming is not even close to where it needs to be to make stuff like the Ouya a real competitor to Sony and MS. Take away cloud gaming and the Ouya is just a fairly powerful android device, which isn't all that impressive and not an amazing deal. Once the tech is at where it needs to be the Ouya still be redundant cause my tablet is just as powerful plus has all the other capabilities of a tablet, and new phones like the S4 are as powerful now too, both often have video out as well so connecting to a TV is no issue.

The Ouya is a novel idea but it's stuck inbetween generations and isn't capable enough now and won't be capable enough later.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By reisz

Streamed games just aren't there yet. Hardware is a complete non issue, it doesn't have to be an Ouya there, it could be a Raspberry Pi. For instance I can play Saints Row 3 on my phone whenever I want. It doesn't play well but it's novel as hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.