Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outer Wilds

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 29, 2019

Explore a solar system on the brink of collapse in this Seumas McNally Grand Prize Winner.

Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wollywoo

Anyone play this? I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I was a big fan of the original game so I was excited to come back for another go-round. The original was so excellent that I was a bit trepidatious about this one - how could they live up to it?

I'm happy to say that this DLC is also great. Without any spoilers, I'll say that it is excellent and also sometimes frustrating in the same ways as the original game. Much like the original, it has some big surprises that will knock you off your feet. I played it with a friend of mine and there were a few places that made us simultaneously yell incoherently. It's also fairly meaty, probably taking me 20 hours or so to finish (although of course most of this was wandering around exploring with no idea of what to do.) I went into this almost completely blind, which is unusual for me - I generally watch or read several reviews before, after and during playing a game because I'm very curious about everyone's reactions. In this case I only saw the trailer and nothing else. I highly recommend this approach. Moreso than with almost any other game I can think of, Outer Wilds is about discovering secrets, and the game would lose a lot of its impact if you go in knowing what to expect.

Some slightly spoiler-y thoughts.

- The backstory is very interesting and provides a very nice contrasting tale to the original game. I'm very curious to find out how different people interpret the lore. I do wish it intersected a bit more with the original story - I would have liked an excuse to explore the solar system again.

- The time loop got very frustrating for me. It's quite time-consuming to do certain tasks that are needed, and you will do them over and over again as you die in dumb ways. Unlike the original, with so many different planets to explore, here I found myself almost always spending the first 2-3 minutes of each loop doing the same steps.

- For the most part, the puzzles are well-done and readily solvable. There was one place I did end up using a hint, but in retrospect, it was obvious and I could have figured it out. There was one other puzzle that my friend figured out that I think would have whooshed me completely. There are some puzzles that are VERY impactful and leave quite an impression.

- It could really benefit from some basic quality-of-life improvements that would have cut down on some of the repetition. Things like

- Being able to read your log at any moment.

- Being able to re-visit certain story moments / clues without as much hassle.

- More shortcuts

- An ability to have more time than the 22-minute cycle allows, particularly for certain segments.

- More diversity in the architecture and color schemes so I could more easily remember and distinguish the different areas.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played it and loved it, except one part I won't even allude to because I think it'll be exactly the main thing anyone else would not like either.

Overall, There was a ton of wow moment packed into it, especially on the first run through, and I felt like a fucking genius multiple times working through the puzzles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.