Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Original Soundtrack Release

Concept »

Games that have had an Original Soundtrack album released.

Which Game Has The Better Battle Theme

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By korwin

So the one piece of audio that your guarenteed to hear more than any other in a J-RPG is going to be the stock battle music.

With FFXIII now out there in the wild I thought it would be neat to compare new commer composer Masashi Hamauzu's work (yes he did Dirge of Cerberus but that barely counts) to the series longest serving and most revered composer Nobuo Uematsu's most recent work on Lost Odyssey. 

Personally I think  Hamauzu did some great work here, but I still have to give it to Uematsu.  Overall the Lost Odyssey OST was a fantastic bit of composition, I actually heard it performed live by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra before the release of the game at the Opera House (was at one of those Live game music performances).
    obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By obiwan

Nice post here. 

In terms of  "epicness'", my all time favorite is the final battle theme of God of War 3 of which all the best compositions in previous works mixed into one. 

Enjoy, especially the horn melody that starts from 3:42. :)
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cornman89

Not a fan of FFXIII's main battle theme. The violin sounds too...squeaky? I really dig the first boss theme, though... In terms of comparing Hamauzu to Uematsu, I think in both cases their best work is behind them, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Out of those two? I'd say Final Fantasy XIII. But yeah, I agree that Nobuo's best work is behind him and he's done a lot better in terms of battle music than both of these.

This game has the best regular battle theme, though. ;P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.