Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Tyrany or Pillars of Eternity?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sombre

Hey gang,

I'll be brief. I've never played a CRPG properly before. I played a few hours of Planescape, the first part of Baldur's Gate 2, but they never really stuck.

I've just built a new PC, and I'm looking to dive deep into either Tyranny or PoE. What would you guys recommend for someone that's enjoyed a LOT of RPG's in the past, but never this type?

Thanks!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Pillars of Eternity is the better game over all but Tyranny is easier to get into and tighter and still very good so I'd suggest that. I love Obsidian games and say definitely check them out but honestly one of the best gateway drug games is Shadowrun Dragonfall although mechanically its quite different.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

@hayt said:

I think Pillars of Eternity is the better game over all but Tyranny is easier to get into and tighter and still very good so I'd suggest that. I love Obsidian games and say definitely check them out but honestly one of the best gateway drug games is Shadowrun Dragonfall although mechanically its quite different.

What this man said is on the money.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not super into RPGs but I loved Tyranny. Its short and sweet, with some really great writing. PoE on the other hand, just seemed like a drag. The kicker here is that I don't actually enjoy CRPG combat systems. I inevitably get stuck on one encounter, retrying over and over again, until I bump the game down to easy. I'm sure if I dedicate time and energy PoE gets amazing ,but Tyranny was more immediately interesting and felt better for a beginner.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i agree with the rest. i prefer PoE, but Tyranny is a good and compact intro to the genre. Though maybe take into consideration that Deadfire, Obsidian's first sequel, is not that far off and will apparently carry over player choices from PoE.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MattGiersoni

I'd recommend Pillars, I think it's quite accessible, especially on lower difficulties, plus the sequel is not far off. It's a better game than Tyranny, but honestly, both games are pretty good. Also, I know you did not mention it, but I really recommend Divinity Original Sin 2, it's slightly different combat (turn based in a way) but the writing, world building and player choices and possibilities are insane. One of the best cRPGs in recent years if not ever. It's also easy to get into and not that difficult on lower difficulty, but it can be as complex as you want it to be.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pillars of Eternity is a game that sometimes feels made for the singular audience of Me so it's hard to be impartial about it, but I think I might agree with the above that Tyranny may be a little easier to get into.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.