Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nolan North

Person » credited in 223 games

Nolan North is an American voice actor, known for both the quality and quantity of his roles, and is now a winner (and loser) of multiple "Northies" from giantbomb.com.

The first sign of Nolan Fatigue

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By AndrewB

So we all knew that at some point this year, people were going to get sick of Nolan North's starring-roles in Video Games. What I didn't realize is that it would be so early on in the year.

In this week's Totally Rad Show, while reviewing Dark Void, the hosts expressed an overall feeling of what can only be described as Nolan Fatigue (North Fatigue?)

"... Huge fan of the dialogue stylings of Nolan North, um, however, totally played out. It's actually a problem. It actually affects the game."

They went on to talk a little more about it. If you want to catch it, it's about 22 minutes in to the episode. 

I'd probably agree with them, if I had played any of the big Nolan North games like Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed. Just a little too much oversaturation on the most major game releases (and in a main character role, no less). Though I don't begrudge the man anything. After all, dude has carved out a great position in Video Game voice acting, and I hope he's getting the pay he deserves.

What do you think? Found any earlier examples of Nolan Fatigue? Do you feel the same way? At what point does it actually hurt your experience of a game, if any?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Uncharted 2 is the last game I've been playing where I've heard his voice ina lead role, though its very understandable since checking out his work-log, he is everywere. Hearing between AC, the original uncharted and then shadow complex..I felt like his voice was going to be forever implanted in my brain. An annoying thorn, with a friendly accent.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By L33tfella_H

Not his fault that everyone casts him as Nathan Drake. Like i seriously imagine he gets called into a company for some voice work, and when he asks what kind of character they want him to play, they point at an Uncharted 2 game box.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I still haven't played a Nolan North game so I dunno. O_o I can see how people can get sick of him though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@eroticfishcake said:

"I still haven't played a Nolan North game so I dunno. O_o I can see how people can get sick of him though. "

You have, you just don't know it yet.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Buscemi
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I still haven't played a Nolan North game so I dunno. O_o I can see how people can get sick of him though. "
    Unless he is in Dungeon Keeper, which was the last game I ever played since that's about as good as games are going to get, I haven't heard him in a game.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Abyssfull: Well I forgot to mention the first Uncharted game which I have played. That aside, that's a terrifying thought...
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @Abyssfull: Well I forgot to mention the first Uncharted game which I have played. That aside, that's a terrifying thought... "

While hardly noticable as part of the cast, he also voiced like 80% of the stilwater citizens ;P. ''Holy shit this car has a CD player?!?'' 

Put enough investigation into it, he probably played all 7 dwarves from the Snow White cartoon too =O
    therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By therabidfrog

The guy is just a voice behind some digital characters. Seems like the only reason people are getting worn out on Nolan North is because every one keeps making referential jokes about the guy.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon
    @AndrewB: I'd call it Northatigue. I guess it all depends on the script. You can sound like Drake all you want, but if the script is worded like it was written by  Mark A. Altman, Mr. North can't save it.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndrewB
    @L33tfella_H said:

" Not his fault that everyone casts him as Nathan Drake. Like i seriously imagine he gets called into a company for some voice work, and when he asks what kind of character they want him to play, they point at an Uncharted 2 game box. "

Absolutely. I'm totally with the guy. Like I said, he's carved out a nice little niche for himself within the gaming industry. He's just trying to make a paycheck. I'm also a big fan returning voice actors, so long as they have a decent enough vocal range to change things up every now and then. For example, there's a place in my heart for any game with Kevin Michael Richardson (the voice of Sarevok and at least one character in every Bioware game through to Knights of the Old Republic, as well as a million other games/TV shows).

Of course, like you said, I'm sure Nolan North would love to change things up, but he's probably hired to do that exact Nathan Drake-esque character, and he has little choice over that.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Titus said:
    "Unless he is in Dungeon Keeper, which was the last game I ever played since that's about as good as games are going to get, I haven't heard him in a game."
    Like Abyssfull said, you probably have, you just don't know it yet. (Spooky!)

@Abyssfull said:
    "While hardly noticable as part of the cast, he also voiced like 80% of the stilwater citizens ;P. ''Holy shit this car has a CD player?!?''  Put enough investigation into it, he probably played all 7 dwarves from the Snow White cartoon too =O "
    I knew he did the first one but I didn't know he also voiced the second one. Then again I just found out now. Hahaha...the guy is like a freakin' poltergeist.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @AndrewB said:

" For example, there's a place in my heart for any game with Kevin Michael Richardson (the voice of Sarevok and at least one character in every Bioware game through to Knights of the Old Republic, as well as a million other games/TV shows). "

i can't get enough of him and Raphael Sbarge (Carth Onasi Forever Baybee!).
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
    " @Abyssfull: Well I forgot to mention the first Uncharted game which I have played. That aside, that's a terrifying thought... "
    While hardly noticable as part of the cast, he also voiced like 80% of the stilwater citizens ;P. ''Holy shit this car has a CD player?!?''  Put enough investigation into it, he probably played all 7 dwarves from the Snow White cartoon too =O "
    Scary though isn't the word I have Completed 25 games where he had a voice roll and that was only a smaller part of his list.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

Most of the times it's the developers fault. Nolan North talked about it in an interview where he talked about working on the Prince of Persia reboot game where he went in to do the voice and the developers basically told him to do what he did on Uncharted. 

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By frankxiv

he'll never be as bad as cam clarke

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AndrewB
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " @AndrewB said:

" For example, there's a place in my heart for any game with Kevin Michael Richardson (the voice of Sarevok and at least one character in every Bioware game through to Knights of the Old Republic, as well as a million other games/TV shows). "

i can't get enough of him and Raphael Sbarge (Carth Onasi Forever Baybee!). "
    Wow, I was wondering why Kaiden from Mass Effect sounded so familiar, and I never pieced that together.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zero_

I'm fortunate enough not to have played a large amount of games with him in it, at least with him in it that's not recognisable. His voice for me, is still Nathan Drake. I wonder whether or not North knows of his recent backlash against him, and whether he'll finally make a stand to the developers to not do a Drake voice.

thealexray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thealexray

Although they've joked about it, at this point I feel like the GB staff should actually hold the Northies and give a Northy to the Nolan North character most Nolan North this year.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Skald

No, this is Nathan Drake fatigue.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

People should stop this bullshit about Nolan Fatigue before it spreads through the internet and causes him to lose jobs. He is a great actor with huge variety of styles. He's obviously a great voice actor and I see no reason for people to complain, especially since he was in pretty much every game you've played before anyone knew who he was and people never complained then.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " People should stop this bullshit about Nolan Fatigue before it spreads through the internet and causes him to lose jobs. He is a great actor with huge variety of styles. He's obviously a great voice actor and I see no reason for people to complain, especially since he was in pretty much every game you've played before anyone knew who he was and people never complained then. "
    That still doesn't alleviate the fact that hearing his voice everywhere can affect the game it self. 

If people have a problem with it, let them complain. If they don't complain and just deny that it can affect the game for them, then it just makes matters worse. Better to get it out now I say.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " People should stop this bullshit about Nolan Fatigue before it spreads through the internet and causes him to lose jobs. He is a great actor with huge variety of styles. He's obviously a great voice actor and I see no reason for people to complain, especially since he was in pretty much every game you've played before anyone knew who he was and people never complained then. "
    That still doesn't alleviate the fact that hearing his voice everywhere can affect the game it self.   If people have a problem with it, let them complain. If they don't complain and just deny that it can affect the game for them, then it just makes matters worse. Better to get it out now I say. "
    I think that's bull because he's been in so many games, that I doubt you know he was in. I think the developers should just stop asking him to copy his Naughty Dog persona.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By bonbolapti

I can't say it's ever actually bothered me, mainly because I've watched a lot of cartoons and played a lot of games enough to know when I'm always hearing the same voice actors.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By oldschool

I had to look pretty deep to find a game of his I have.  I didn't find that many and those I found, I think he was a small part in them: 
    Madworld   Still actually haven't played it yet.  
     Halo Wars  Haven't played it enough to get to him I think. 
     Lost Odyssey  Haven't played it yet. 
     Assassin's Creed Still haven't played it. 
     Halo 3  Unless he was in the first 20 minutes before I got bored and stopped playing, then no. 
     World in Conflict  probably heard in that. 
    Guild Wars: Nightfall   &Guild Wars: Factions  Only my kids played that.   
    Gun   Never got around to playing it.  
     God of War  Another one I only played 20 minutes of. 

Holy crap, he is in a lot of games.  No idea what his voice sounds like though (all his stuff is my least played games), so I could hardly suffer fatigue from it.    I am guessing too many starring, high profile roles is the problem.  I am sure he will still get plenty of work no matter what, but some lead roles could be missed out on.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sil3n7

I just got done playing the supreme commander 2 demo... and hes the main character!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beforet

I've only only played 3 North games, so I'm not really feeling fatigued. Though his voice is start to get more and more conspicuous. I can imagine it being a real problem when I start to recognize it so often and quickly that it breaks disbelief, but Nolan certainly isn't the only actor with whom I have this problem.

EDIT: Nolan North was in God of War?! Okay, so I'm not at that point yet. Good to know.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rottendevice:  fuck you
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By BeachThunder

You know what? I looked through his Wikipedia page and I found that I haven't played a single game with him in it, nor have I watched any tv show that he's in.

What do I win?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.