Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Trouble getting it to work on PC

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is anyone having trouble getting this game to work on PC, specifically steam? The game used to work prior NEXT patch, but now it freezes on the loading shaders screen after the No Man's Sky title card and loops background music. Has anyone had something similar happened and found a way to get it to work? I've tried most of recommended fixes I found on steam forums, but nothing has helped so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: Yeah it takes a good while when you first load it, you could try and delete the contents of the "shader cache" folder inside the NMS folder, that will force the game to rebuild them.

Then just start it up and be patient.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattchops

@onarum: I did that previously and have let it run for a while. It ends up not showing the passing stars anymore and goes to a black screen with distorted music playing in the background. It kicks out to a no longer responding message, which I then close the program.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattchops

@dgtlty: Thanks for sharing. It ends up going to a black screen with distorted music after a while of showing the stars passing by and then gives me a non responsive application message, which I then close the game.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: The Games got a Graphics update, so maybe you pc is below system requirements ?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine runs better since the update. The initial 'Loading Shaders' screen took around 10 minutes, and 2-3 minutes for every boot after that.

The game itself runs smoother than before, which is still not perfectly. My i5 2500k processor is holding my PC back.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_greg: Did it go to a black screen with distorted music during that process or always show passing stars? I don’t remember it doing that prior to the update.

I’m well above the minimum PC specs, too.

I’ll keep messing around with it. Pretty frustrating

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: No, I never got anything like that. It did crash about 10 minutes into my first NEXT session, which was worrying. I was messing around in the menu with controls and graphics. It hasn't done it again since, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.