Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

What's With This Matchmaking?

Avatar image for japanesebuffalo
    JapaneseBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JapaneseBuffalo

I've been playing MKX and enjoying it quite a lot. However, anytime I try to connect to anyone via the matchmaking options like versus, KOTH, etc..., nothing comes up. Like I think I sat there literally for 5 minutes searching for a match and nothing came up. I've also tried the chat rooms but have had little success in getting a match that didn't have a bunch a latency.

So, have you guys been having a similar experience?

Edit: I apologize for the unconfirmed report of the character known as matchmaking man.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

All I can offer is that Ed Boon tweeted that they know there are issues and they are working on them. Seems to suggest server load is part of it at least.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I haven't had issues finding games except for the faction 5v5 fights, the big issue is what happens when I'm in game. Id probably say half my games I play in are at the very most, just playable. Less than half of those games I would categorize as optimal experiences. Seriously, I really like this game but dropping combos and not being able to do specials because of lag is maddening.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: they said this is the biggest Mk launch in history, I hope that has something to do with the in game lag as well as the issues within the menus

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't had issues finding games except for the faction 5v5 fights, the big issue is what happens when I'm in game. Id probably say half my games I play in are at the very most, just playable. Less than half of those games I would categorize as optimal experiences. Seriously, I really like this game but dropping combos and not being able to dCao specials because of lag is maddening.

Can agree with this, the input lag for the online is garbage. I don't get how Killer Instinct has amazing netcode, and this is NetherRealm's 3 game in 4 years and they haven't figured it out yet. I got beat last night by a Cyromancer Sub-Zero just using his d2 (uppercut with sword) over and over again, because my reaction to block or do combos was like playing underwater.

It is indeed maddening.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, with matchmaking I've been having that issue. Although, in rooms that's not the case. And I haven't experienced ANY lag, so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sackmanjones said:

I haven't had issues finding games except for the faction 5v5 fights, the big issue is what happens when I'm in game. Id probably say half my games I play in are at the very most, just playable. Less than half of those games I would categorize as optimal experiences. Seriously, I really like this game but dropping combos and not being able to dCao specials because of lag is maddening.

Can agree with this, the input lag for the online is garbage. I don't get how Killer Instinct has amazing netcode, and this is NetherRealm's 3 game in 4 years and they haven't figured it out yet. I got beat last night by a Cyromancer Sub-Zero just using his d2 (uppercut with sword) over and over again, because my reaction to block or do combos was like playing underwater.

It is indeed maddening.

I love these NetherRealm games, but I've basically completely stopped playing online since MK9/Week One of Injustice because of this continued shortcoming. It's a shame.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I totally knew what you meant in your title but I just had the image of the movie Hitch aka the match making man pop up in my brain. Now I'm thinking of how terrible of a DLC character he'd make.

Total bummer about the crappy matchmaking though.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: my memory of MK9 is pretty much overshadowed by the Sony hack. I recal in the beginning having some really bad issues but unknown the biggest offended was simply finding a game. Unless you were in a room I remember it almost impossible to do matchmaking. I remember injustice being better a week or so in so I'm really hoping that this is really just a server load issue and nothing more

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobby_the_great: I feel ya. Last night I got my ass kicked quite a few times as I simply couldn't do anything I wanted too. Whether I was trying to string combos or punish people I was always a second behind and my attacks would be blocked or I would miss my own. I'm good at fighting games, not great. I can usually hold my own against the majority of people and yeah I'm still learning this game but stil. There is nothing more infuriating than having other factors contribute to a loss.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Who is the Matchmaking Man, man?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Who is the Matchmaking Man, man?

lol yeeeep

I really thought for a second there was a secret character "Matchmaking Man".

The_def_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had this issue with MK9. I can get into king of the hill lobbies easy but I want to rank up and play in rank matches but it would either a) Take more than 10min to find a match or b) time out. It was really annoying that it really stopped me from playing the game online.

This has only happened to me with MK9. I'm really hoping this isn't the case with MKX when I'm ready to hit the rank matches. Still going through story mode.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the ranked mode start out like ranked modes in other games, match you wildly until they find your skill level? Because it's not fun fighting people who you have a 8% chance of winning again, who have 380 wins and 17 losses.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as badly as i want this game I didnt buy it because i just knew the matchmaking would be terrible. i missed the last mk game but heard nothing but complaints about the matchmaking.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_piano: I'm in the same boat I'm about 2 in 25 to 25 keep getting at he'd to people way out of my league

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@red_piano: I've played quite a few ranked matches this weekend and have 100% been matched with people who are way out of my league. I'm guessing the matchmaking has pushed away all the new players like me who are trying to learn and not get stuck in what seems to be infinite kombos.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By handlas

@tunaburn said:

as badly as i want this game I didnt buy it because i just knew the matchmaking would be terrible. i missed the last mk game but heard nothing but complaints about the matchmaking.

Matchmaking before was bad. It is bad again. No surprises here. I've played two ranked matches. I have a record of 0-0. It matched me twice with guys with records like 50-2. I got wooped. It was fun. The "Rooms" are better but often times most people are already playing or decline my fight requests for whatever reason.

Also, I'll jsut complain here, the gameplay feels more stilted than the last one to me. Maybe I just remember MK9 better than it was. But I have a real hard time in this one chaining moves together. Coupled with the different character verisons makes it worse because, for instance, the one combo Sub-Zero has that seems to allow you to chain combos together is removed when he doesn't have the weapon stance.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I think NOW it's a matter of the matchmaking not really taking win/loss into account...even in Ranked Matches! I don't know if that's something that'll settle down as the game moves forward (MK9 was mostly ok about it) or if it's permanently "completely random", but if it's the latter...that is SEVERELY disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my first match against a 340 wins and 70 losses guy. lol is this normal?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.