Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

Is Mortal Kombat X good for single player?

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want to buy some fighting game. I don't play online and want to play it alone. What does it offer (modes) in single? Is it worth it?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I would play through Mortal Kombat 9 first, lots of single player content.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

9 is'nt on ps4. What about X?

Slowpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

I would play through Mortal Kombat 9 first, lots of single player content.

Can confirm this. There is a lot of story in there! Corny as hell but a lot of content.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MK X has lots of single player stuff. 5 hour story mode (not as long or good as 9 but substantial) tons of challenge towers, Crypt. I probably played 50 hours of that game in single player. Of course I loved the challenge towers so if you don't enjoy them YMMV. But there is a LOT of content.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great thanks. So the towers are something like a tournament?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardqx: Sort of. You compete for score with others but you also play with various modifiers like health that drops in to the playfield or you can only play as Reptile or whatever.

There are towers without modifiers too.

But really they are like MK arcade mode with score attack and modifiers.

There is also a normal arcade mode with (I think) endings for each character.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Depends on how much you pay for it, but personally I didn't have a great time with MKX compared to 9.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

9 is a better single player experience, but X is still better than most fighting games. I got about 10 hours out of the story mode and the various towers before I got tired of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mortal Kombat X is a fine singleplayer fighting game. There is a standalone story mode, but it builds rather heavily on the plot foundations of the story mode in MK9, so if you haven't already played the previous entry a lot of the narrative stuff might not make sense. X's singleplayer campaign clocks in at a time considerably shorter than 9's, though it tells a mostly-new story. 9's, by contrast, was a retelling of the original trilogy--though it spins off into its own weird thing with some deliberate continuity changes. I preferred MK9's campaign, since it hits the nostalgia notes, does some cool things to the lore, and is a lengthy, fulfilling experience that feels worth your time by the end.

However, I'm probably an outlier, because on just about every other discussion point I feel like MKX is the superior game, even for solo players. NetherRealm's development team hit a serious groove with Injustice, and that only continues with Mortal Kombat X. It is tighter, faster, and more responsive than 9 in nearly every way, so the moment-to-moment combat always feels top-of-class.

Mortal Kombat X, like most fighting games, offers a singleplayer "Arcade" mode, which puts you in front of a handful of increasingly difficult fighters ("kombatants?"). This ends with a final boss fight and a cutscene relevant to the character you're using. It's standard fare. And to be honest, it isn't my favorite way to play these games.

Instead, I prefer the game's "Single Fight" option against the AI, an option first added in Injustice two years earlier. (Read: This option DOES NOT exist in Mortal Kombat 9. Outside of the story, you MUST play the Arcade ladder to spar with the AI.)

In Single Fight, you can choose your opponent and relative difficulty level, playing and rematching until you're blue in the face. The characters and their multiple playstyles create a myriad of interesting matchups. Single Fight, frankly, gives solo players a great opportunity to learn one or many characters, as well as their many strengths and weaknesses, in a painless environment. It's the perfect place to experiment, find a favorite fighter, or simply relax and beat some people into the dirt. And I can't stress this enough--the core fighting feels GREAT, so you're never without a fundamentally satisfying loop.

Largely, the AI on its default setting is pretty fun to fight. Enemy fighters block in realistic ways, mostly, but also leave themselves open to your hard-hitting attacks frequently enough. You'll have to apply some minor strategy to beat the AI reliably--mostly in the form of knowing how to avoid or mitigate an enemy's assault--but generally beating the AI isn't an arduous task. On Hard and Very Hard, the AI can be borderline telepathic, reacting to your inputs as you're pressing a given series of buttons, which doesn't always provide for the most rewarding of experiences. Occasionally playing on Hard emulates the flurry and speed of playing of a real person, though the AI never learns or makes exploitable mistakes the way a human in the same situation might.

There are other things I'm not mentioning. MK9 had a 300-fight Challenge Tower that was replaced by daily/weekly/monthly towers in MKX. The fights included were usually modified by silly circumstances. Fighting upside-down or only with the use of projectiles. X's towers don't have the same handcrafted feel as 9's Challenge Tower, but neither of those offerings appeal to me.

If you can get Mortal Kombat XL, the expanded edition that includes all of the game's DLC, for a reasonable price, there really isn't a glaring downside. Even offline, the game has a lot to offer, especially as far as fighting games go.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story mode is good and there are towers and what not to do but they didnt hold my attention long

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Richardqx

inevpatoria: thank you very much for your summary. You have whetted my apetite for the XL edition. :D

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love mortal kombat X, and never play online. The faction system gives you infinite towers that change up each time to enjoy, and there is also a standard story mode/ offline tower mode. Best fighting game available right now in my opinion, but Injustice 2 looks really good so far.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes. I absolutely love this game, and I've barely played online. To understand the story mode at least watch the cutscenes of 9 on Youtube. It's really fun to try all the characters and see the fatalities and special moves against the AI which provides just enough challenge to be fun without being cheap. X is definitely my favorite traditional fighting game (with Smash Bros Melee being my favorite in general)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

got XL upgrade on steam for $10 recently and am itching to get back into it. just worried it's a wasteland as far as online goes, and if i DO get matched up it will be against savants that kill me in 3 seconds w/o taking damage.

i also have it for ps4 and wondering if it's worth double dipping if there's a better player count there. if i do maybe i'll wait until/if the XL upgrade there is on sale.

either way i have a helluva hankering for fighting games lately.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.