Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

PSP mini game developed by Mediatonic UK. The game is an upwards vertical scroller where players play as a demon only known as "The Duke". The princess goes missing and The Duke must search for her throughout 24 levels spanning over 6 unique worlds.

Indie Reviews - Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Edited By StarFoxA

Previous Reviews:  

Miner Dig Deep - September 18, 2010
    Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp - September 17, 2010
    Arkedo Series - 01 JUMP! - September 16, 2010
    Soulcaster - September 15, 2010
    Groov - September 14, 2010 

No Caption Provided
    Title: Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess 
    Developer: Mediatonic 
    Price: 240 ($3.00) Microsoft points 

Coming from Mediatonic, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a combo-based vertically scrolling platformer. You take control of the Duke, a narcissistic vampire whose princess has been (most likely) stolen by monsters. In order to discover which monster stole his princess, the Duke must fight five different monsters across a total of five stages. Yes, five stages. This game is incredibly short.

The core gameplay mechanic involves catching up with the monster and then hitting it. This must be done three times per stage. Each platform in the level increases the Duke's combo, with higher combos allowing the Duke to jump higher, as well as a visual flair (e.g. smoke trail, demon wings). This is a very fun gameplay concept, the only problem being the game's longevity. 

The game is fun, but its longevity really hinders its appeal.

Beyond the five stage story, there is a score attack mode and numerous unlockable awards (and a single unlockable level). The score attack consists of 15 stages rather than only five, but none of these differ incredibly from the main story stages (in fact, five of them are from the story). The gameplay is very fun, but it just doesn't hold up in these levels, due to the fact that no new additional mechanics are introduced.

The real appeal of Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is its humor. Every stage has its gag, usually consisting of the words "probably" and "stole my princess." This is the positive aspect of the game's longevity, as the humor doesn't get old (any longer, and it would likely be groan inducing). Some of the unlockables also carry on this theme, with one newspaper clip describing how a "demon" (the Duke) kidnapped a waitress (the princess) at a Burger Princess restaurant.    

The corny humor in Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is one of its main selling points.
     The corny humor in Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is one of its main selling points.

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a very, very hard game to recommend at 240 Microsoft points. The entire game can be finished in about 15 or 20 minutes, while other games at its price point and lower offer hours of gameplay. That's not to say that Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a bad game, but if the concept of vertically scrolling combo-based platforming intrigues you and you enjoy some corny humor, then this game is (probably) for you. 

Tomorrow: Leave Home
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

Previous Reviews:  

Miner Dig Deep - September 18, 2010
    Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp - September 17, 2010
    Arkedo Series - 01 JUMP! - September 16, 2010
    Soulcaster - September 15, 2010
    Groov - September 14, 2010 

No Caption Provided
    Title: Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess 
    Developer: Mediatonic 
    Price: 240 ($3.00) Microsoft points 

Coming from Mediatonic, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a combo-based vertically scrolling platformer. You take control of the Duke, a narcissistic vampire whose princess has been (most likely) stolen by monsters. In order to discover which monster stole his princess, the Duke must fight five different monsters across a total of five stages. Yes, five stages. This game is incredibly short.

The core gameplay mechanic involves catching up with the monster and then hitting it. This must be done three times per stage. Each platform in the level increases the Duke's combo, with higher combos allowing the Duke to jump higher, as well as a visual flair (e.g. smoke trail, demon wings). This is a very fun gameplay concept, the only problem being the game's longevity. 

Beyond the five stage story, there is a score attack mode and numerous unlockable awards (and a single unlockable level). The score attack consists of 15 stages rather than only five, but none of these differ incredibly from the main story stages (in fact, five of them are from the story). The gameplay is very fun, but it just doesn't hold up in these levels, due to the fact that no new additional mechanics are introduced.

The real appeal of Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is its humor. Every stage has its gag, usually consisting of the words "probably" and "stole my princess." This is the positive aspect of the game's longevity, as the humor doesn't get old (any longer, and it would likely be groan inducing). Some of the unlockables also carry on this theme, with one newspaper clip describing how a "demon" (the Duke) kidnapped a waitress (the princess) at a Burger Princess restaurant.    

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a very, very hard game to recommend at 240 Microsoft points. The entire game can be finished in about 15 or 20 minutes, while other games at its price point and lower offer hours of gameplay. That's not to say that Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a bad game, but if the concept of vertically scrolling combo-based platforming intrigues you and you enjoy some corny humor, then this game is (probably) for you. 

Tomorrow: Leave Home
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thedj93

Very well written. I probably won't be getting this, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have any charm or anything. Looks pretty cool!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is a very, very hard game to recommend at 240 Microsoft points. The entire game can be finished in about 15 or 20 minutes    

Well that's a bummer. I do like the art style, but there's no way I'm spending $3 for 15 minutes of game.
    ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ptc

I played the demo.  I would have purchased for 80 pts, but I just didn't like it enough to splurge the 240 pts.  Attention developers: 80 pts is the sweet spot, impulse purchase level for pricing XBLIG titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.