Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft: Story Mode

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 13, 2015

A Telltale adventure game inspired by the sandbox game of the same name (and its numerous fan-created video series), as newbie builder Jesse and their friends search the lands of Minecraft for a group of legendary adventurers to save the world.

Will I enjoy TTG Minecraft if i have never played Minecraft?

intruder_joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Big fan of TTG.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've been assuming it's not for me because I'm also not much of a Minecraft player. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, and it's going to have to invent most of the characters and mythology from whole cloth anyways, but still, I assume there are going to be sly little jokes about like...Creepers or Enderman, or something, and I'll recognize there is a reference being made but I won't have any idea what they're getting at.

I have an easier time believing that I'd like the Borderlands TTG game, despite not caring that much for Borderlands itself, because I could at least see how they could contort that universe into a fun story with goofy characters (and I've heard it has cool heist stuff maybe?). The Minecraft Story Mode thing just seems baffling to me.

intruder_joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been assuming it's not for me because I'm also not much of a Minecraft player. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, and it's going to have to invent most of the characters and mythology from whole cloth anyways, but still, I assume there are going to be sly little jokes about like...Creepers or Enderman, or something, and I'll recognize there is a reference being made but I won't have any idea what they're getting at.

I have an easier time believing that I'd like the Borderlands TTG game, despite not caring that much for Borderlands itself, because I could at least see how they could contort that universe into a fun story with goofy characters (and I've heard it has cool heist stuff maybe?). The Minecraft Story Mode thing just seems baffling to me.

not a big fan of Borderlands but TTG Borderlands is amazing. and the first episode is now free.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bisonhero: Tales From Borderlands was a surprising success and is dangerously close from toppling The Walking Dead Season 1 for their best season imho, depends if they land the ending I suppose. Early Minecraft impressions don't seem nearly as positive, I've heard the voice acting is kinda crappy and the story is a bit of a memefest.. though the animation is meant to gave received a bit of an upgrade over other Telltale games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

not a big fan of Borderlands but TTG Borderlands is amazing. and the first episode is now free.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. Some people seem to like it more than TTG Game of Thrones, though I have to imagine that Game of Thrones sold WAAAAY better.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The game is not out so we have no idea

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume that it's for the fans, kind of like Game of Thrones. I probably wait until they give away the first episode of Minecraft and see if that grabs me.

I've just been really disappointed in their recent games. I don't like Tales from the Borderlands very much, but it at least made good use of the setting. Game of Thrones would be incomprehensible garbage if you weren't already a fan of the TV show (maybe even if you'd only read the books since the game takes place in the TV world.) Even if you are a fan, the gameplay is just abysmal and the story feels completely inconsequential.

The last game from Telltale I thought was really good was The Wolf Among Us. I wasn't into Fables before playing that game, and it was still really good.

On a side note, I'm glad to hear they may finally have some new tech. Their games have been janky for years.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Y2Ken

I enjoyed the first episode - I've played a fair chunk of Minecraft in my time, and I'd suggest that knowing it will definitely improve your enjoyment of the thing, but there's not much in the way of game knowledge that will change your enjoyment.

Jim Trinca from Videogamer compared it to a Saturday morning cartoon, and I reckon that's a pretty apt description. It's definitely a fun ride and I'm sure most kids will love it. It's a pretty funny story, albeit a fairly generic tale so far, but having it set around Minecraft works fantastically well.

Given that Minecraft has near-zero story (what "story" does exist basically functions as the opening cutscene to the TTG release) they have done a good job with creating fun, believable characters. There's a good mix of characters and personalities in the group you are with and some entertaining interactions to be had along the way.

It's definitely aimed primarily at children and the majority of the decisions so far feel fairly low-consequence, even at times where fairly intense and "dangerous" situations are afoot. But I still enjoyed it in the way I still enjoy watching the occasional kids' TV show once in a while.

@fallen189 Not sure where you got this idea. Game's been out for a couple of days now - unless that's a regional thing, perhaps?

Bonus plug: I put my playthrough of it up, if you want to watch some.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.