Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

I guess money is at the forefront of executives' priorities

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

So I guess any company dealing in whatever type of consumer product is willing to license some of its assets to pretty much anybody for the right amount of money? Is that it? This is just weird. Sure, if Disney came to me with thousands of dollars asking me if they could use something I own in one of their promotional videos for a crappy show which has absolutely nothing to do with my work, I'd probably think about it hard. Money does smell sweet. But what would this say of me? How would people, and my fans, perceive such a decision to prostitute my work? Maybe it's just me though. Movie companies do it all the time. That song from Requiem For A Dream has been overused like there's no tomorrow, in movie trailers and video games alike. But this... this doesn't seem right to me.

What the hell am I talking about, I hear you asking?

This is an official promotional video for the latest Power Rangers season. Watch it, and listen. It's at the very beginning and the very end.

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Twazuk

Or, you know, they might have, like, stole it? 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

The whole video I was thinking "Well at least they didn't use the main theme. They wouldn't use the main theme." Then... Yeah.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Twazuk: But this is Disney we're talking about, not some Chinese or Brazilian backwater company. I dare not think they'd let this kind of thing happen, no?
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zyn

Wow, Power Rangers is shit nowadays.  I remembered when they were awesome.

About the music, I laughed hard.  It doesn't suit it at all.

If it was my music, like you said yourself, thousands of pounds wouldn't change my mind.  Millions... maybe.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By defaulttag

wow............

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@AuthenticM said:
    " @Twazuk: But this is Disney we're talking about, not some Chinese or Brazilian backwater company. I dare not think they'd let this kind of thing happen, no? "
    Yes
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill:  Why do you say that? Did they ever infringe on some kind of copyright material before? If yes, they should really pay closer attention to their employees; this is the kind of shit that could get them in trouble.
    greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By greennoodles

Actually, Power Rangers has nothing to do with Disney anymore. Aintitcoolnews reported that the guy who brought them to america the first time repurchased the rights. 

But yes, executives only care about money, that is why they are executives.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @AuthenticM: I'm not sure if using this example is played out or not? but for an example of 'Disney takes what it wants and makes it print money' take exhibit A) 
    http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm  

Before you hit that link take note that a lot of the 'text' on that site is very internet conspiracy rant like, however take a brief look at the screengrabs and a few of the sentences that arent too OTT and the similarities are  - uncanny

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.