Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

QL just blew my mind: auto-aim!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quipido

So, everytime I buy a game, first thing I do after I boot it up is going to options and set them to my liking. I allways disable auto-aim, because it just seems silly and in those games, where you can not disable it (talking about shooters obviously) I even felt it could make me miss (in specific cases like shootin a moving target, when I am subcounciously leading the target a bit but auto-aim just fucks the shot up). 

I have finished CoD4, CoD WaW and MW2 on veteran, with auto-aim disabled, I just assumed it would move my crosshair to "stick" to my targets. 

But now I have watched QL for Medal of Honor and I realised it actually snaps to a target when you go to ironsights! I know there was mention of this in old bombcasts (regarding to CoD series) but only now I realised all these years most of people must play it with this default setting: auto-aim on. It's really mindblowing, it looks like some cheat or mod to me! 

Am I weird for wanting to beat the game(s) by actually aiming myself... because those games are about shooting...?

Do you use this feature?

Now I am scared developers will sometimes take the option to turn it off out, everything is streamlined and players often end up with less options because of this (no custom controls in 99% of console games is beyond me!), that would totally ruin it for me. 

Also, is this in multiplayer as well (in CoD series?)? I not near my x360 to go and try it out right now.  

I know I talk a lot about CoD in topic in MoH - but this is basically a bad CoD ripoff.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

No Caption Provided
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quipido
    I have top of the line PC (4 months old, it was VERY expensive) but I still prefer my shooters to be played on consoles, I just got too used to it. 

@drag said:

" It's not in multiplayer.  "

EDIT: Thanks.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By yinstarrunner

I remember a specific spec-ops mission in MW2 where you had to hold out against waves of enemies. They advanced through smoke screens to make it harder. Thing is, the smoke was moot because I would just keep entering and exiting iron sights and if I saw the ironsight snap to something, I knew an enemy was there and I would kill him. Yes, its an absolutely ridiculous mechanic that doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.besides letting me kill enemies I couldn't even SEE. I felt dirty after that.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jayross

I thought Red Dead Redemption was strange in how you were able to lock on to targets, and played the majority of the game with it turned off. 

But then I turned it on and realized how easy it made things, especially hitting moving targets, so I left it on. 

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quipido
    @yinstarrunner:  LOL

@Jayross: I played that without auto-aim too! My whole world just changed, I have to re-think my gaming history.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

Honetly with auto aim turned off on ANY CoD game, there is still some in there.  Happens to me all the time.  That's what happens when you play a console shooter, they have to by default make up for the dead zones of the analog sticks.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Jayross said:
    " I thought Red Dead Redemption was strange in how you were able to lock on to targets, and played the majority of the game with it turned off.   But then I turned it on and realized how easy it made things, especially hitting moving targets, so I left it on.  "
    RDR was one of the easiest games I've ever played (with auto-aim on).  They should have implemented a first-person view when aiming and got rid of auto-aim.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Quipido
    @sammo21:  Yeah, you are right, I noticed it and in the multiplayer too. But the "snap-on-target" is today's news to me.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sammo21
    @teh_pwnzorer: I never was able to play the MP in RDR because it always freezes on me in online, but what little I did play amazed me at how cheap it was.  Literally was the single player game just mp.  So cheap!
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By faustyn
    @sammo21 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: I never was able to play the MP in RDR because it always freezes on me in online, but what little I did play amazed me at how cheap it was.  Literally was the single player game just mp.  So cheap! "
    that's why there are modes with expert targeting only.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sammo21
    @faustyn: as stated, I didn't get to play much so I'll have to take your word on that lol.  I would get kicked from any game or mode and then get stuck in an infinite load screen.
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By faustyn
    @sammo21 said:
    " @faustyn: as stated, I didn't get to play much so I'll have to take your word on that lol.  I would get kicked from any game or mode and then get stuck in an infinite load screen. "
    oh. that sucks ;d well like i said there are many modes with expert targeting. it actually takes skill to kill someone in them which is always cool. shame that the whole red dead community sucks.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Seppli

Can't play with Aim assist on. As you say, it fucks up my shots. I want the crosshairs to do exactly what I'm doing. The snapping to target just makes everything feel off and unresponsive.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Jimbo

I don't really have any experience with this snap-to targeting, so I couldn't help but laugh when Jeff started doing the zoom-in-zoom-out dance to cycle through the targets in the MoH QL.  I mean that's obviously how you play the game, given the snap-to mechanic, but it still looks ridiculous.  Maybe they could somehow make it so you can snap-to the next target without coming up out of the sight (unless you can already do that?).

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

Literally the very first training section in CoD4 taught you how to snap to targets. I'm 90% sure they teach you the same thing at the beginning of MW2. You gotta pay attention.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Snap-to targeting is awesome. I loved it in MW. And especially in Red Dead Redemption. 

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Bass

The snap-to targeting is ultimately useful for the harder difficulties. It will never be in any multiplayer implementation of the COD series, and I imagine the Medal of Honor Series either, since it basically takes all of the skill out of the equation (the bane of multiplayer games). 

On the topic of aim assist(different from the snap-to targetting), I believe you could turn it off in World at War in the single player and multiplayer, it makes it way harder to aim, overall (despite those instances when the game thinks you are aiming at 1 guy and you are actually aiming at the guy behind him and it moves the reticle in the wrong direction automaticaly).

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By MildMolasses
    @yinstarrunner said:
    "I remember a specific spec-ops mission in MW2 where you had to hold out against waves of enemies. They advanced through smoke screens to make it harder. Thing is, the smoke was moot because I would just keep entering and exiting iron sights and if I saw the ironsight snap to something, I knew an enemy was there and I would kill him. Yes, its an absolutely ridiculous mechanic that doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.besides letting me kill enemies I couldn't even SEE. I felt dirty after that. "

But it seems liked parts of that game were designed in such a way that it was essential to have that turned on.  

And honestly I don't mind super gamey mechanics like that since, quite frankly, they do a much better job of simulating quick and sudden, though precise, movements a hell of a lot better than I can with an analog stick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.