Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

Just bought this about 2 days ago. It's really fun!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looking at some screenshots before I bought it, I thought it might be kinda crappy now. But it holds up surprisingly well gameplay wise! The controls don't feel " old " at all and it has great level design in my opinion. I'm at chapter IV now and it's one of the most fun I've ever had with a third person shooter, I only wish I played this before.

I'm probably going to buy 2, but to fans of the series who have played 3, should I get that too? I only ask because it doesn't really look anything at all like this one in terms of almost everything.....Though I'm literally judging that off of a few screenshots and videos, so what do I know.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

Max Payne 2 plays very much like Max Payne 1 in all the ways that matter and has superb presentation. It's a fantastic game, although it's shorter than the other two. Definitely get it, you won't be disappointed.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

I do believe Max Payne was the first "mature" game I played. Before that, it was adventure edutainment and AoE. I loved the hell out of it; I remember the oil tanker level being pretty scary to my 8, 9 year old mind. In terms of level design, I guess, though I recall a few times such level design led to frustrating death/reload cycles.

Max Payne 2 doesn't play like MP1, IMO. It's faster and much easier, considering how it uses bullet-time. 1 relies on shoot-dodging almost exclusively (standing bullet-time is useless except for lining up shots, though that's rarely necessary). MP2 basically slows the entire world down while you move the same speed, each kill giving you a small boost in that speed - in the challenge modes, you can chain dozens of kills as you become hella fast, regain your BT fuel, and all the dudes get hella dead.

Max Payne 3 is... interesting. Reading about it years before it came out, people would say that it was being ruined by Rockstar by setting it in daytime Brazil rather than night-time New York, as well as shaving his head. I kind of breezed through it and didn't really consider my feelings on it until after, which made me realize how terrific it was - I didn't have time to think on the theoretical ramifications of the setting and character design because how balls-out crazy the entire time was. Everything made sense by the end. As for the mechanics, they updated quite nicely - I would safely assume this is Rockstar's best shooter in ever, though I did play it on PC, and wouldn't know how it works on a gamepad (which is blasphemy for a Max Payne game). All in all, an excellent game; in retrospect, I think it should have at least made the top 10 of the year, but that's me.

It's up for you to decide. All I gotta say is, Christmas is 2 months out, Black Friday is one - don't be a Scrooge.

PS I actually read your post rather than skimming it - you actually used a gamepad? Jesus. It being a decade-old game, your computer(?) should handle it soundly. Don't limit yourself to just the console experience. Much like Quake, the difference is night and day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.