Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Kart 8

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 29, 2014

Mario Kart returns and makes its HD-debut with gravity-defying hover vehicles, a new spin on the traditional track designs, ATVs, the return of classic Last Man Standing-Battle Mode, custom online tournaments and Mario Kart TV, which allows for sharing of highlight videos online.

Q:Pre-race Lobby Chat?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Duders, I am surprised I can't find a definitive answer to this (maybe I missed it?) but I just got a Wii U. I have friends that I planned to play with, knowing we could only chat in the pre-game lobby. However, we STILL cant hear each other in pre-game. Is there a setting I'm missing? I know to press the 'minus' button on the gamepad to activate chat. Are we just having weird connection troubles??

Any info would be great! And sorry if this has been answered I didn't see another thread.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If there isn't a way to get that to work, bypass the in-game chat completely and set up a free Discord server on your phones or PCs. Better voice quality, persistence, text messaging, and it's all free and even works in a web browser.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@nickhead: In the pre-game lobby, you should be able to chat with each other. It may have to be a private game or something, where it's only your friends and bots. If you're in a public lobby that you happen to be in with 1-3 friends or whatever, I'm not sure the game knows how to open up voice chat only for part of the lobby at once. I forget.

I remember it being pretty straightforward as long as everybody was on everybody else's friends list. I don't think you have to do anything in options or whatever, because the game really has no "party options or anything. Also, I believe you have to turn up the volume on the Gamepad speaker, because I think the voice chat audio only goes in the Gamepad mic and comes out the Gamepad speakers and doesn't use your TV speakers in any way.

For these many reasons and more, I mostly just turn on Skype on my phone or laptop while playing Wii U, and try to adjust game volume to a suitable level that I can hear all of it, more or less.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'M USING MOTION CONTROLS!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@mike@bisonhero Yeah, we had a private match set up and we're friends through the Wii, etc. I also assumed I needed the gamepad volume up but still, no voice came through. Who knows. Thanks for the responses though. This is a super specific situation for my one buddy where his Wii U just barely works over his internet connection already and he doesn't have a PC/laptop available, nor good phone service. I had suggested doing a google hangout or skype but unfortunately those aren't options here. Frustrating!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.