Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 17, 2009

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers is a streamlined, user-friendly, version of the popular trading card game. Take one of eight decks and engage in a battle of wits against the computer or online opponents.

Anyone Play This Yet?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kush

I've never played Magic the Gathering in any form, but I've been interested in giving this game a shot for a while now...especially after falling in love with Culdcept Saga (yes, I know they're different). I was just curious as to how this version holds up and if it's a good version for new players.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

I'm considering getting this. If you're not sure about it, just try the trial version.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kush

I'd rather hear the opinion of someone familiar with the franchise than just trying the game myself...I know that I can try the game, but I'm curious as to whether this is a good version of the game or not. I don't want to get into the game if it's actually a crappy version of Magic the Gathering.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PureRok

Well, I'll download the trial and let you know what I think. I used to play it a lot when I was younger, and I play it off and on presently, so I guess my opinion may be worth a little bit.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush

Coolio...My one friend has tried getting me into the game for a while now through Magic the Gathering Online, but that shit just confused the hell out of me so I'm hoping this has a good tutorial. I just hope that I don't end up liking the game so much that I start actually buying decks in real life/online...from listening to my friend speak of his exploits with Magic; the game sounds quite expensive if you really want to get into it.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PureRok

I just finished the tutorial in the game, just to see how it is. It is a very good tutorial, actually. They also seem to have a mentor system in the game where you can find people to mentor/to be mentored by.

This seemed basically like if you took the card game and made it into a video game. All of the cards are high quality, they give you the ability to zoom in on them, and if there's something on the card you don't understand they give you a button that explains everything on the card.

There appears to be a Campaign, I haven't tried that yet, but it has co-op too. It sounds interesting. I actually really recommend this for new players. The tutorial does a really good job of explaining the different cards. They also have an in-depth section that goes deeper into gameplay mechanics.

An aside: I play Magic Online, too.

Kraivyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kraivyne

I really love this game. I know its nothing in comparison to the amount of cards in MGO but MGO requires you to purchase individual cards while this gives you a few to start with leading up to 280+ in unlockables.

The graphics are superb and its is a great start for anyone new to Magic, as everything is introduced to you and explained thoughraly.

The turns tend to be faster than a real game of magic but the game tends to last longer as people cant play "unfair" or "overpowered" decks, which I really like.

I would download the demo and buy it if your interested.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

I used to be way into Magic The Gathering when I was younger, haven't tried the game though.  I'll post here again once I try it out

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just tried the demo, and it was pretty fun. It's a good representation of what the actual game is. Now while the game does provide a tutorial, you'll still probably be overwhelmed a bit. But after a few games, you'll start getting the hang of it. The good thing is that at any time, you can highlight a card on the table and press LB/RB to see detailed information about what that card actually does.

So in short, yes, this game seems legit, at least from the demo. But just because it has a tutorial, don't expect to be a master in a couple days. You still gotta play some matches to get the hang of things.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush

Sounds good...I've been looking forward to this game for a while and it just randomly came out this past week. I'll give the demo a go in a little bit and hopefully I'll be awake enough to let it all sink in.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
    PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon

This game is an excellent introduction to Magic.  It streamlines a lot of the complex rules and interactions, and presents them to you in a friendly, easy-to-understand interface.  I can't personally say if the tutorial will be enough to "teach" someone new the game of Magic, as most people learn Magic through their friends, not the rulebook.  But this is as good a learning tool as Wizards will ever produce.

On top of that, there's a heck of a lot to do.  You can unlock 8 decks, which play quite differently from one another, and then 17 additional cards for each deck.  There's a normal campaign, a local two-player campaign, a puzzle mode, and online matches.  I've spent most of my time online so far, and it's fantastic - the matches don't drag on for too long, because of the timers in the game.  For $10 - the price of a couple Magic booster packs, or one precon deck - this game has incredible value.  Personally, I think it's a must-have for anyone remotely interested in Magic - you're much better off buying this than actual physical cards to try out the game of Magic.

And, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Pibo47

2 of my friends have this game. They like it. Personally im not really into this game, not a magic fan.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By breadfan

I played the demo for a little while and I thought it was better than most Magic video games.  I haven't played Magic The Gathering in about 10 years and now I might have to spend the 800MS points to get a little nostalgic

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Ineedaname

Picked up today, awesome game, only played as one card and am currently playing through the forrest(?) class, the default trial class it is, if anyone fancies a game give me a shout I'm not the best but I'm still picking up the concept.

A bit of info:

You have deck's where you start with 62 cards a game, if you play through the campaign you unlock more cards for each race, then you can mix the deck up and take cards out and put new ones in, I think that'll have more an impact in multiplayer, so it might be worth unlocking them all.

Any other question I'll try and answer I've not played online though.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VWGTI

If I had a 360 I would buy this. I can't seem to find many comments on how good this game is though.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

I'm really starting to get into the game now.  I thought it might be fun for me, but it really is a ton of fun.

I am completely new to Magic (of course I heard of it, but I never knew a single rule), and I've gotten a good handle on the rules and I'm figuring out strategies as I go.  Seems like a really great teacher.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Diamond: Fancy a game?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @Diamond: Fancy a game? "
    Right now?  Anyways, I'll send you a friend request.
    cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cjmhockey

I used to play Magic the Gathering when I was younger... didn't even know that this was coming out. If the trial is good, I'll definitely through down 800ms for the nostalgia factor

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Diamond said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @Diamond: Fancy a game? "
    Right now?  Anyways, I'll send you a friend request. "
    When ever you're online I'm on now though.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    @Kush said:
    " I've never played Magic the Gathering in any form, but I've been interested in giving this game a shot for a while now...especially after falling in love with Culdcept Saga (yes, I know they're different). I was just curious as to how this version holds up and if it's a good version for new players. "
    I love Culdcept Saga and Magic but as of now i am having tecnicall issues with Magic. It seems to freeze,crash and or spaz out on me quite often and i'm not to sure if it's just me. I have to say that what i have got to play so far is fun but than again i did love to play the card game back in the day.... (Is reminiscing)
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kush

I did rock the demo last night and I did actually enjoy myself quite a bit...I think I may actually pick it up even though my FL is pretty much full of people who will never buy the game :P

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai

Played it a ton loving it.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ahab88

Downloaded the trial the same day I got Red Faction, so needless to say I haven't even tried it yet. I really hope it's good, as I played Magic casually a few years ago.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ectoplasma

The game is pretty decent. There are some minor bugs and annoyances: sometimes the freezes in a screen (but never crashed so far), there is no resign button, no chat interface, the way how certain card mechnics work is tedious (if you have 2 cards giving you health if you play a certain type of card, you have to wait twice for a short amount of time, similar if you can buff a creature by paying 1 mana X times, you actually have to click X times and then wait for the game to load X times - its pretty annoying). I'm also not sure if the decks are quite balanced, I played the fire deck the whole night and often i didn't have a lot of chances, but maybe i had just bad drawing luck.

The other thing is: I played Spectromancer over steam for quite a while now. It's also only ten bucks. Actually the inventor of Magic helped to design the game. I have to say that Spectromancer is more complex than magic - it feels more satisfying in general. You have complete overview over your own cards, there is no random draw mechanic during the game - the deck construction is random and then you hold all the cards in your hand. This makes the decisions much more complex. I magic it is often quite obvious which is the best choice. When I was younger and palying it in real life (about 10 years ago), I never minded much the complexity - i thought it is interesting enough. But now I'm a little bit disappointed (especially with all the fond memories). 
    A last thing I want to add is that I think after the first 7 or so expansions they just kept adding cards that threw the balance askew in one way or another. There are a lot of cards which mean your complete destruction or victory if you get them in the right moments. And there's nothing much you can do toplan against a lot of those cards or combos. So it makes you feel a little bit dissastisfied at times.
    Anyway, I enjoy the game and if you're into that kind of stuff you should get it ;).
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Kush said:
    " Sounds good...I've been looking forward to this game for a while and it just randomly came out this past week. I'll give the demo a go in a little bit and hopefully I'll be awake enough to let it all sink in. "
    Why didnt you just download the demo in the first place?
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

First off, I played the physical card game of MTG for around eight years as a hardcore player.  I was a certified level 2 judge and held, tournaments, etc.   I eventually quite the game as I entered college due to money constraints.

As PlatypusPlatoon mentioned, this may be the greatest introduction to the games that WoTC has ever produced.  The decks begin very simple and never ramp up to any insane combo decks but still involve a large amount of the rules that make the basics of the game.  This game also upscales such that if you do know the rules rather well then you will still be entertained by the decks available.  If you can, without cheating, beta all of the puzzle challenges then you are MORE then ready to play the physical game if you so choose.

If your like me though, you enjoy the engaging yet simple structure of the decks and can enjoy this for what it is. 

Given all of this, the fact that I can't edit the decks may just drive me insane.  I think this is a move by WoTC to drive people back to the game and bring in new blood.  You will also notice that their is a DLC option on the main menu... my pocket just began crying.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I've always thought Magic was interesting but figured it would cost way too much money to get into.  Has anyone here played Spectromancer?  Is the XBLA Magic game similar to that in any comparable way?  I don't know much about how to play.  Does the demo do a good job teaching newbies?

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shulinchung
    @ValkyrieGoddess & anyone encountering freezes:
    Was the background music still playing during freeze? Did freeze happen when you were trying to zoom in cards?
    If so, try pressing LT or RT. My game freezed several times with background music still playing when I was trying to zoom in cards. I found that pressing RT or LT(usually RT) to zoom the card which my opponent just played always solves the problem. It seems to me that the game sometimes locks up because I zoom in my cards while the opponent AI is doing something, and the game "forgets" to pause the time for me while I zoom in, which causes the freeze.
    Hope this helps.
    tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By tovan

I'll throw in my two cents as well, the game sounded cool and I had some points to spend. But man, I didn't expect it to be as much fun as it is, I'm having a blast with it right now.  The game does a good job of introducing the rules for first timers. I had never touched Magic before, but after the tutorial I was fine with moving on to the "campaign", so don't worry about not knowing the game, It will teach you

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kush
    @JeffGoldblum: I didn't want to just play the demo because I know nothing of how Magic the Gathering works in its traditional form. I wasn't just looking for a good game, but also a game that could potentially teach me the ways of Magic. I would be able to judge the game from the demo, but I wouldn't be able to judge how true the game was to the physical card game. I wasn't just looking for a potentially fun game, but a game that was a good reprensentation of the "real" game.

...All that being said, I played the demo and enjoyed myself and ended up buying the game. I have yet to dive to deep into the game, but after some practice I hope to try out the online a bit...and most likely get my ass handed to me on every occasion!
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Kush: I'll play you if you're still looking for someone to play it.  I just picked it up yesterday so I still have some stuff to unlock.  MTG is one of my favorite games of all time and this MTG:DoTP allows me to play it without sinking every penny I have into it.  That's the best part ;) 

The cost associated with MTG is just WAY too much for me.
    Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Althox

Looks interesting, tried the demo out and it was a nice start. Have been playing MTG for 10 years and choosing to play a PC game instead of buying the cards are awesome. A definite buy. Oh and if anyone plays on the PC/Steam (Steam actually), my name is "Althox" (durr).

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno

I've pre-purchased it. Anyone who's interested in fantasy card games should also look into Spectromancer, which just had its expansion released on Steam recently. 

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arestice

What makes this any different than MTGO? I've already invested into that, I'm not switching.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.