Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Game of the YearEdition – My Level PANDAmonium!

cstrfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By cstrfrk

So way back in March of this year I get an e-mail from Leo Cubbin, the producer of Little Big Planet.  He informs me that everyone at the office has been enjoying my levels that I’ve published and proceeds to offer me the opportunity to take part in an upcoming project for the game.  He says it would require building a level from scratch and proceeds to give other details regarding deadline and confidentiality.  Of course as you can imagine I accepted right away with a return e-mail.  I get another e-mail back from him and here is a quick quote taken directly from the e-mail I got back.

Hi Jonathon,

Once again, thanks for responding so quickly and I am pleased that you would like to be involved in this project.  I would now like to give you an outline of what it is we would like you to do.

We have chosen you as we were really impressed with the originality and design of your other levels.  Quite simply, we would like you to develop a new level, for us to use in a future version of the game or demo. This can be based on the levels that you have already uploaded or something entirely new, I’ll leave that up to you.  The main thing that we would need is that your level is original and all your own work, and does not contain anything that is indecent, obscene, or likely to offend anyone.

We recognise that the development of a really playable level takes a lot of time and effort and as such we are willing to pay your efforts, however, this means that we will need to enter into a legal agreement to formalise the arrangement and protect our and your rights.

Now, you can imagine at this point I’m pretty much peeing myself and completely overcome with joy.  At this point I begin to brainstorm ideas for my level.  The very first thing I designed was the cranes.  Once I had them I thought, ok maybe a far east or asian theme.  Because I always love designing outdoor environments and animals the next thing to pop into my head was PANDAS.  So I designed my first panda.  After placing one of the panda in the environment that I created It dawned on me that these guys needed to be the center of the show.

I sent off my first ‘alpha’ build of my level for review and it was accepted and I was told to carry on finishing my level to the point of what you finally see on the disc now.  Between then and now there were about 3 other versions that were revised and sent off to Sony and Media Molecule for review and Q&A.  At one point I was contacted again and asked if I’d be interested in having a video of me giving an intro to my level on the disc and again I accepted, so excited barely realizing what was happening.  Before I knew it, a crew of two were here at my apartment filming me.  They were here for about 2.5 hours filming multiple takes (of which you’ll see some of in this video) both for my intro as well as an interview that I’m not sure what they’ll do with.  I am so happy that I could be a part of this and am glad to share it with you guys.  For those of you that don’t own a copy of the GOTY edition of LBP, I created this video playthrough to at least share my final build with you.  So check it out!

cstrfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cstrfrk

So way back in March of this year I get an e-mail from Leo Cubbin, the producer of Little Big Planet.  He informs me that everyone at the office has been enjoying my levels that I’ve published and proceeds to offer me the opportunity to take part in an upcoming project for the game.  He says it would require building a level from scratch and proceeds to give other details regarding deadline and confidentiality.  Of course as you can imagine I accepted right away with a return e-mail.  I get another e-mail back from him and here is a quick quote taken directly from the e-mail I got back.

Hi Jonathon,

Once again, thanks for responding so quickly and I am pleased that you would like to be involved in this project.  I would now like to give you an outline of what it is we would like you to do.

We have chosen you as we were really impressed with the originality and design of your other levels.  Quite simply, we would like you to develop a new level, for us to use in a future version of the game or demo. This can be based on the levels that you have already uploaded or something entirely new, I’ll leave that up to you.  The main thing that we would need is that your level is original and all your own work, and does not contain anything that is indecent, obscene, or likely to offend anyone.

We recognise that the development of a really playable level takes a lot of time and effort and as such we are willing to pay your efforts, however, this means that we will need to enter into a legal agreement to formalise the arrangement and protect our and your rights.

Now, you can imagine at this point I’m pretty much peeing myself and completely overcome with joy.  At this point I begin to brainstorm ideas for my level.  The very first thing I designed was the cranes.  Once I had them I thought, ok maybe a far east or asian theme.  Because I always love designing outdoor environments and animals the next thing to pop into my head was PANDAS.  So I designed my first panda.  After placing one of the panda in the environment that I created It dawned on me that these guys needed to be the center of the show.

I sent off my first ‘alpha’ build of my level for review and it was accepted and I was told to carry on finishing my level to the point of what you finally see on the disc now.  Between then and now there were about 3 other versions that were revised and sent off to Sony and Media Molecule for review and Q&A.  At one point I was contacted again and asked if I’d be interested in having a video of me giving an intro to my level on the disc and again I accepted, so excited barely realizing what was happening.  Before I knew it, a crew of two were here at my apartment filming me.  They were here for about 2.5 hours filming multiple takes (of which you’ll see some of in this video) both for my intro as well as an interview that I’m not sure what they’ll do with.  I am so happy that I could be a part of this and am glad to share it with you guys.  For those of you that don’t own a copy of the GOTY edition of LBP, I created this video playthrough to at least share my final build with you.  So check it out!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

You start by going to the left?! WTF?!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn

Nice.  Will this be available to non-GotY owners or is it exclusive to the GotY edition?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Absurd

Congratulations!

cstrfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cstrfrk

Thanks guys!  And yeah, I thought of creating something a little different in the beginning.  You don't have to go to the left but there is a little bonus for going that way.  You get to see the little panda hiding in the cave and of course the prize bubbles are there. ;)

Unfortunately it's exclusive to the GOTY as of now.  
    Who knows if they'll make them available in the future for everyone to download.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Coltonio7

...I have a dude crush on you.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Coltonio7 said:
    " ...I have a dude crush on you. "
    You have a dude crush on A LOT of dudes.
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Coltonio7
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " @Coltonio7 said:
    " ...I have a dude crush on you. "
    You have a dude crush on A LOT of dudes. "
    I do actually...
    cstrfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cstrfrk
    @Coltonio7: Sweeeeet!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive

good job dude. made this level all by yourself? 

man, games like this are the reason i still love Sony so much. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.