Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Screemer; The Cut Infected

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By weltal

I was playing through the director's commentary the other day and they had a pretty interesting comment on an infected which was cut. Known as The Screamer he was an boss infected who wore a straitjacket and when he spotted you ran and tried to hide. If you allowed him to hide he would let out a scream alerting a horde to swarm onto you. According to the commentary his ability was given to the Boomer in the form of his bile vomit.

Anyone else think that was an awesome idea that should have remained in the game? It sounds like it would have made for an interesting chase dynamic, forcing you to run after him dodging zombies and trying to take him down before he screams. Even with the Boomer's ability in the game he still seems like a character that could have beem implemented without it feeling like they were reuseing an ability too much.

Edit: Found a concept art

caption
    caption
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

Yeah I heard that, I think the design of how the screamer sounds would of been pretty cool, and kinda crazy.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah i enjoyed the commentary...when they didn't sound like robots haha, but yeah actually, im glad they cut him out in a way, he sounds like a mix between the smoker and boomer, since the smoker does occasionally piss off, sometimes i wonder if he will scream when he runs off now, i kinda wish.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

Sounds a bit like a With/Boomer mix...and you never know, he could make a return since Valve has said that along with new "movies" they plan to bring out new boss infected characters as well.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scooper

I wonder what type of new boss infected they'll put in when they patch it, they've said they're going to I just can't think of any unique characteristics they could have...

Maybe it'll be a long distance projectile boss that can throw about as far as a tank's rock-throw ability. Prehaps a zombie that can rip parts of its body out (leg... arm... guts... brain) and toss them at survivors, each throw is a random part of the bosses' body and whatever part gets thrown will change the way the thing moves 'til it dies, for instance if it throws a leg it has to hop.

I 'unno.................... what have you came up with that's unique.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Death_Burnout

I tell you what i'd like, perhaps a Boss infected option before starting a match, stating which ones you want turned on and off, if you turned them all off and had the regular zombies on expert, you'd still have one hell of a fight, and a more traditional fight too

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

I think it's an excellent model to put in the game, but I think that the "attracting" feature works better with the Boomer than it would've with this.  It seems like if this dood could just run off and attract some zombies without a good chance of killing him, it would just get super annoying.

I haven't played through the game with the director's commentary yet, as I'm still trying to get my achievements on it...but once I have a majority of those unlocked, I'll pop it on and check it out.

If they could find a different way to bring him back in for some DLC or updates, however, that would be pretty damn cool.  I think it would be interesting to have more than just three types of zombies to become in the versus (tank is still a random thing, so I don't really ever count it).
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper
    Death_Burnout said:
    "I tell you what i'd like, perhaps a Boss infected option before starting a match, stating which ones you want turned on and off, if you turned them all off and had the regular zombies on expert, you'd still have one hell of a fight, and a more traditional fight too"
    Nahh, I don't think that would be good, Left 4 Dead is only really Left 4 Dead with all of it together, once you start putting those decisions in the hands of server hosts it starts to split; it'll happen in modded servers though, I'm sure.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kush
    Death_Burnout said:
    "I tell you what i'd like, perhaps a Boss infected option before starting a match, stating which ones you want turned on and off, if you turned them all off and had the regular zombies on expert, you'd still have one hell of a fight, and a more traditional fight too"
    I don't like that idea at all...I think every current boss has it's distinct purpose and taking one(or more) out would ruin the awesome experience that is L4D!
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Coltonio7

Man, that sounds pretty cool actually. But I can see why they gave his power to the Boomer.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac

That would be pretty cool. More boss zombies in general would be awesome. Like, what if there was one that possessed you or a teammate unless a teammate shot a certain part of your body or meleed you? That'd be pretty cool. If you disagree, know that that was off the top of my head.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "That would be pretty cool. More boss zombies in general would be awesome. Like, what if there was one that possessed you or a teammate unless a teammate shot a certain part of your body or meleed you? That'd be pretty cool. If you disagree, know that that was off the top of my head."
    Depending on what the AI did after taking over your body that could be a bit overpowered...maybe if being taken over was like getting hit in the back in Haze and you just move a bit erratically and shoot randomly about.
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Coltonio7
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "That would be pretty cool. More boss zombies in general would be awesome. Like, what if there was one that possessed you or a teammate unless a teammate shot a certain part of your body or meleed you? That'd be pretty cool. If you disagree, know that that was off the top of my head."
    Well, I think the aiming is too sketchy to target a specific body part...but something like that'd be rad.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Coltonio7 said:
    Well, I think the aiming is too sketchy to target a specific body part...but something like that'd be rad."

Kush said:
    Depending on what the AI did after taking over your body that could be a bit overpowered...maybe if being taken over was like getting hit in the back in Haze and you just move a bit erratically and shoot randomly about."
    Arkthemaniac said:
    that was off the top of my head."
    I should be a game designer.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By weltal
    Arkthemaniac said:
    That's an awesome idea. Like a headcrab type of thing. Plus in versus it gives the infected an interesting angle. I'm guessing in the interest of fairness it'd have to take a couple of seconds to attach with the head and would have to be fairly easy to shoot off but that's a cool idea.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kush

Also...I think that your idea about an infected that could possess you or a teammate is flawed if you can also get damaged by regular zombies as well. Either you don't take damage or they avoid you because if they could hurt you as well then it would kind of make it a double punishment.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Kush said:
    "Also...I think that your idea about an infected that could possess you or a teammate is flawed if you can also get damaged by regular zombies as well. Either you don't take damage or they avoid you because if they could hurt you as well then it would kind of make it a double punishment."
    Arkthemaniac said:
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kush

Yes...I know it was off the top of your head. I was just expanding the idea because I think it could be something that would be pretty cool in the actual game, not that Valve stalks the GB forums for ideas or anything.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coltonio7
    Kush said:
    "Yes...I know it was off the top of your head. I was just expanding the idea because I think it could be something that would be pretty cool in the actual game, not that Valve stalks the GB forums for ideas or anything."
    $20 says that Levio is actually Gabe Newell
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Kush said:
    "Yes...I know it was off the top of your head. I was just expanding the idea because I think it could be something that would be pretty cool in the actual game, not that Valve stalks the GB forums for ideas or anything."
    Arkthemaniac said:

OK, now I'm just trying to piss you off. Anyways, Valve has probably already thought this up and either discarded it or reserved it for a sequel or something.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kush
    Coltonio7 said:
    "Kush said:
    $20 says that Levio is actually Gabe Newell"
    $50 on Levio being his secret love child.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Kush said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    I don't like that idea at all...I think every current boss has it's distinct purpose and taking one(or more) out would ruin the awesome experience that is L4D!"
    Im not saying how it is now is bad, but having game variables, like many games do, can add replayability, its all about fuckin preference! you love all 5 boss infected, they make the game the game, i know. Obviously with achievements and online ranks...this would never happen, but nevertheless i would still happily see it. Valve and Turtlerock Studios are very good at game balance, the way they have made everything in L4D and every other game they have done, has gone through multiple iterations, so obviously taking one or two out would disrupt it slightly, but again, all preference.

Note: i mainly play singleplayer anyway.

If you wanted all 5 in there, go ahead, thats what i would normally do, but its always interesting to see what would happen if you did this or this to the settings, a huge what if situation, only smokers taking the 5 slots, only hunters and boomers, just boomers and regular infected, that kind of thing, in essence what im saying is ...Make the game harder and more interesting per playthrough!!!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kush

I'm saying that I don't think the game would be as good without each and every boss infected in each match. I don't think that the game would be good with just 5 Boomers/Hunters/Smokers/etc

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Kush said:
    "I'm saying that I don't think the game would be as good without each and every boss infected in each match. I don't think that the game would be good with just 5 Boomers/Hunters/Smokers/etc"
    Again preference, i wouldnt think it would even work or be fair, but its all fun the same, its like garrys mod, we do dumb shit in that with the AI for a reason.

Im going to take a page from the mind of Jeff Gerstmann here, portal gun...with portals spewing Zombies.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush

Well you're basically just listing potential mods then...if you want this stuff in the game then mods will likely show up. All I'm saying is that the option should never have been in the retail version.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Kush said:
    "Well you're basically just listing potential mods then...if you want this stuff in the game then mods will likely show up. All I'm saying is that the option should never have been in the retail version."
    lol you sound heavily protective of it, it never will make the game, and theres a reason it didn't in the first place, so dont worry. Oh and guess what, i hate mods, so if there was one, i wouldnt take it, im a vanilla fan (bar game patches) when that demo first came out at the beginning of november, only after playing it for 10 seconds i instantly shouted, this is my GOTY, that wont change either. Im creative at heart, so "messing" with settings is what i like to do, you could say my idea is just my L4D fever dream, but a man can dream.

Now inevitabley there will be Garry's Mod and L4D fusions, now those mods and scripts, i'll happily take.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By TomA

That would be neat,maybe in a future update they will release new Special Infected and weapons.If they do,it will probably only be for PC though,and if they do release it for the 360,Microsoft will probably charge people.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Death_Burnout
    TomA said:
    "That would be neat,maybe in a future update they will release new Special Infected and weapons.If they do,it will probably only be for PC though,and if they do release it for the 360,Microsoft will probably charge people."
    Oh yeah there is that whole 360 support thing, i wonder how that will go down this time, luckily im on PC here so, bring on the content. I must say, even though the game does not need them, additional weapons would be a welcome thing, Counter-Strike had mad amount of weapons, but of course...thats competitive multiplayer, in this game you only need things that do the job. I just get sick of hearing that Assualt Rifle sometimes.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper
    Death_Burnout said:
    Death_Burnout said:
    Oh and guess what, i hate mods, so if there was one, i wouldnt take it, im a vanilla fan

there will beGarry's Mod and L4D fusions, now those mods and scripts, i'll happily take."

dick headdddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I already wrote ages ago that if you wanted the boomer to be taken out (by option, not just patched out the game entirely) then they'll be a mod that'll probably do all that junk for you, but you still got all up in arms when Kush simply critiqued your opinion for the option to take them out.

In other news I a birdy told me a type of animal, possible a dog could be a candidate for a boss infected, I guess it would be kind of cool and harder to shoot.

Personaly I'm waiting for the mod that'll remodel the tank as DOG from HL2, because that would be so funny.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok

I thought the Screamer sounded stupid from the beginning. I'm glad Valve saw that too and cut it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.