Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

More Left 4 Dead Impressions

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By trav3ler

Just in case you guys didn't have enough.

My thoughts on the game were... it's decent.  Maybe something I'd buy, or get for christmas.  However, Gears 2 and Fallout 3 right now prevent me from giving it the time it deserves.

I had a great experience when 3 buddies and myself tried (and repeatedly failed) to beat the game on expert.  Even the times we fucked up and got completely wiped out were hilarious.  On the other hand... every single pick-up group I played in either had a teamkiller, someone who hoarded all the health and let everyone else die, people who have flat-out refused to help me up, or just people who refused to work together, ran off to play Apocalypse Cowboy, and got everyone killed by shooting a car or pissing off a Witch.  Not fun.

The game itself felt easy on every difficulty up until Expert, where it suddenly bent me over and violated me in ways I had never thought possible.  Tanks on Expert are hell... we never figured out a way to kill one without losing at least one guy.  Maybe if we'd had pipe bombs...  The other bosses all went down pretty easily, the Witch was an issue until we figured out a way to beat her - stand in a line like a firing squad, get someone to toss a Molotov on her, then just make it rain bullets.  Boomers are annoying as hell, and the AI director should know better than to spawn them in small, enclosed areas.  Bad AI Director.

This would be a good time to say the AI Director, at least to me, feels like it failed to deliver.  All it seems to have done is changed around which bosses spawn, where the horde shows up, and where weapon dumps are.  This is all fine and good, but there seem to be maybe a dozen noticeably different combinations that it's used at most (changing one boss from a hunter to a smoker does not a difference make).  So replayability is spotty at best.  The reason games like TF2 are so replayable is because the human mind can think up infinite different ways to play such a game, and when you get up to 30 people together playing, no game plays out the same way twice, ever.  The AI Director tries, to be sure, but I feel like the game will maybe last a month or so before the Director completely runs out of ideas and is just throwing stuff at me that I've seen before.  Versus mode, however, might alleviate this somewhat.  We'll see.

The weapons are nice... auto shotty feels a little overpowered, hunting rifle a little underpowered.  Maybe it's just me, but taking a precision, high powered gun with a slow firing rate into an area with hordes of fast but weak dudes waiting to kick your ass seems stupid... maybe that's how you kill the tank, now that I think about it.

The zombies are good enemies, I like how theyre portrayed more as 28 days later than Night of the Living Dead... it makes for a more frantic, fun game where teamwork is so much more key.  People aren't kidding... Expert requires precision teamwork to survive, which I fucking adore.  In most multiplayer games, teamwork consists of "Medics heal, protect the flag/oddball guy, kill the other dudes."  The only issue I have is mentioned above - because teamwork is so key, asshats and teamkillers have so much more potential to ruin the game, and unfortunately, they already are.  A functioning headset is also critical.

So, there you go - if you are fairly confident you will always have three or more friends to play with, I wholeheartedly recommend this.  If you can get seven, I predict Versus mode will be one of the greatest things ever.  However, if you're hoping to just play pickup groups with random internet people, I wouldn't recommend it.  You will only be disappointed and frustrated.

VERDICT: BUY IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS.
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By trav3ler

Just in case you guys didn't have enough.

My thoughts on the game were... it's decent.  Maybe something I'd buy, or get for christmas.  However, Gears 2 and Fallout 3 right now prevent me from giving it the time it deserves.

I had a great experience when 3 buddies and myself tried (and repeatedly failed) to beat the game on expert.  Even the times we fucked up and got completely wiped out were hilarious.  On the other hand... every single pick-up group I played in either had a teamkiller, someone who hoarded all the health and let everyone else die, people who have flat-out refused to help me up, or just people who refused to work together, ran off to play Apocalypse Cowboy, and got everyone killed by shooting a car or pissing off a Witch.  Not fun.

The game itself felt easy on every difficulty up until Expert, where it suddenly bent me over and violated me in ways I had never thought possible.  Tanks on Expert are hell... we never figured out a way to kill one without losing at least one guy.  Maybe if we'd had pipe bombs...  The other bosses all went down pretty easily, the Witch was an issue until we figured out a way to beat her - stand in a line like a firing squad, get someone to toss a Molotov on her, then just make it rain bullets.  Boomers are annoying as hell, and the AI director should know better than to spawn them in small, enclosed areas.  Bad AI Director.

This would be a good time to say the AI Director, at least to me, feels like it failed to deliver.  All it seems to have done is changed around which bosses spawn, where the horde shows up, and where weapon dumps are.  This is all fine and good, but there seem to be maybe a dozen noticeably different combinations that it's used at most (changing one boss from a hunter to a smoker does not a difference make).  So replayability is spotty at best.  The reason games like TF2 are so replayable is because the human mind can think up infinite different ways to play such a game, and when you get up to 30 people together playing, no game plays out the same way twice, ever.  The AI Director tries, to be sure, but I feel like the game will maybe last a month or so before the Director completely runs out of ideas and is just throwing stuff at me that I've seen before.  Versus mode, however, might alleviate this somewhat.  We'll see.

The weapons are nice... auto shotty feels a little overpowered, hunting rifle a little underpowered.  Maybe it's just me, but taking a precision, high powered gun with a slow firing rate into an area with hordes of fast but weak dudes waiting to kick your ass seems stupid... maybe that's how you kill the tank, now that I think about it.

The zombies are good enemies, I like how theyre portrayed more as 28 days later than Night of the Living Dead... it makes for a more frantic, fun game where teamwork is so much more key.  People aren't kidding... Expert requires precision teamwork to survive, which I fucking adore.  In most multiplayer games, teamwork consists of "Medics heal, protect the flag/oddball guy, kill the other dudes."  The only issue I have is mentioned above - because teamwork is so key, asshats and teamkillers have so much more potential to ruin the game, and unfortunately, they already are.  A functioning headset is also critical.

So, there you go - if you are fairly confident you will always have three or more friends to play with, I wholeheartedly recommend this.  If you can get seven, I predict Versus mode will be one of the greatest things ever.  However, if you're hoping to just play pickup groups with random internet people, I wouldn't recommend it.  You will only be disappointed and frustrated.

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mugugipan
    trav3ler said:
    "Just in case you guys didn't have enough.

"
    I say don't buy it at all.

Three reasons ...

1. This game is waaaaay too easy. I only died one time and thats because I was goofing around and being stupid and careless. Rarely do zombies ever rush you. Most of the time they are just standing around. When they actually do get a hold of you all they do is punch you. Sometimes I wouldnt even notice zombies were hurting me. Its amazing how non-threating 10 or 20 zombies trying to sarround you can be.

2. Feels like cheesy arcade game like house of the dead. The narrative is weak. Wait!!! Did I say narrative? What narrative?!!!

3. The targeting radicals are way too small, even for the shotgun.
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trav3ler

I'm curious... what difficulty were you playing on?  On expert, you really can't survive being stupid and careless unless you are really really lucky.

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mugugipan
    trav3ler said:
    "I'm curious... what difficulty were you playing on?  On expert, you really can't survive being stupid and careless unless you are really really lucky."
    I played it on normal, than I played it on advanced.
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trav3ler

Yeah, there's your problem.  Try it on expert, you will get buttpunched.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio
    mugugipan said:
    "trav3ler said:
    "I'm curious... what difficulty were you playing on?  On expert, you really can't survive being stupid and careless unless you are really really lucky."
    I played it on normal, than I played it on advanced."
    lololo Easy and Normal are if you're new to the game and want to have an action game experience. Advanced provides a tiny challenge if your partners don't know what to do.

Expert is where the actual challenge is at.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By xruntime
    trav3ler said:
    "The reason games like TF2 are so replayable is because the human mind can think up infinite different ways to play such a game, and when you get up to 30 people together playing, no game plays out the same way twice, ever.  The AI Director tries, to be sure, but I feel like the game will maybe last a month or so before the Director completely runs out of ideas and is just throwing stuff at me that I've seen before.  Versus mode, however, might alleviate this somewhat.  We'll see."
    These are my thoughts exactly. I don't think the versus mode will add much, so I'm not too optimistic on the replayability. Check my blog for my impressions.
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trav3ler

I played it some more with friends... finally beat it on expert.  That was an amazing experience.  I've mellowed on the replayability somewhat... I think there will be enough maps and the AI Director will remain different long enough to give me at least 20 hours of gameplay, which is more than enough to justify me spending 50 bucks on it.

My friends and I have all decided we're going to get it, and make it our goal to beat every level on expert.  Now, just to wait for either a paycheck or christmas...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.