Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire is getting a remaster on PS4/Xbox One, and a release on the Switch as well.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I played it on the 360 a few years ago and thought it was decent but I soured the experience on my own doing by using a guide in many sections, so I didn't feel like I was figuring things out on my own and really caring for the interrogation scenes. I didn't really want to take the time to think about some objectives either and wanted the 'best ending'. I figured out that wasn't necessary. I'd give it another try, perhaps in enhanced form, this time doing everything on my own. Instead of saying everything in my own words, I'll just post what it says on their site so you get the information straight from the people putting it out.

"Today, we're proud to announce new versions of the blockbuster detective thriller L.A. Noire, are scheduled to release on November 14, 2017 for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Alongside these three new console versions, we're taking our first steps into virtual reality with L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files, featuring seven select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC VIVE.

Set against the seedy and violent underbelly of 1940’s Los Angeles, L.A. Noire is the story of decorated veteran and newly minted detective Cole Phelps as he investigates an escalating series of cases inspired by real-world crimes. Each successfully solved case brings Phelps greater success, but also brings him closer to the dark criminal heart of post-war L.A.

L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive delivers seven of the original engrossing, self-contained cases from L.A. Noire rebuilt specifically for virtual reality, blending breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience.

L.A. Noire for the Nintendo Switch features the complete original game and all additional downloadable content, with specific enhancements including a Joy-Con mode with gyroscopic, gesture-based controls, HD rumble and new wide and over-the-shoulder camera angles, plus contextual touch screen controls for portable detective work.

L.A. Noire for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One delivers the complete original game and all additional downloadable content with a range of technical enhancements for greater visual fidelity and authenticity, including enhanced lighting and clouds, new cinematic camera angles, high resolution textures and more. Plays natively in 1080p for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, and stunning 4K for PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, these versions capture the grit and grime of the City of Angels like never before."

I assume the remasters on the One and PS4 are the PC version? Is anyone here interested in this? I originally felt I wouldn't go back to this game after I finished it (which is partially why I used a guide), but in all honesty, it's a game I hope gets release on the One through backward compatibility. It was a game I hoped would be anyway, but maybe not now that they're putting it out as a remaster.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Good game but too bad the studio fucked over their workers so bad. Game doesn't really hold to a second play through but i wish they would take the tech and make a sequel of some kind. Something with more available outcomes and less linear.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By damodar

One issue that LA Noire had was that the specific technique that they used for the facial animation required a lot of data, they more of less had animated maps for that stuff, which then had to be pretty heavily compressed, resulting in a weird swimmy quality to the facial features that occasionally really stood out. I'm curious if the PS4/Xbone version will even be able to address that or not. I think maybe some of the tech that is basically unique to that game will actually date it fairly badly in 2017.

Anyways, LA Noire is an interesting thing. I don't know if I could say it's a good game, but I'm really glad it exists. At the very least, it's a really cool realisation of post-war Los Angeles and a rather fascinating idea for a game, even if the execution was frequently lacking.

Also, I hope they have another crack at the black and white filter. The idea of playing the entire game with a stark, monochrome noir look was enticing, but the results of their shader weren't really what I would have wanted. For an optional filter, I guess it's unrealistic to expect the chiaroscuro look I'm after, since it just risks obscuring too much visual information actually required to play the game, but eh! Somebody probably made a mod that does better anyway!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I never did play the DLCs and I've forgotten most of the individual cases, so maybe I'll grab this with a discounted price for PS4.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

I really enjoyed LA Noire when it came out years ago. That's the last time I touched it. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good game at the time and this remaster has me really interested. Especially the Switch version. If it seems the remaster wont lose anything on the Switch version, I'm 100% game to give this a go again.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@maxszy: I don't think the Switch version will have the enhanced visuals.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So all their PS2 games just get ported with trophies but they're going to actually remaster a 360/PS3 game? Come on, give me actual HD remakes of Bully, Warriors, and Manhunt, Rockstar

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MocBucket62

Never finished L.A. Noire, but I really enjoyed my time with it. Granted, the gameplay is really flawed since you can still find out who committed the crime with little to no penalty of guessing which suspects tell the truth, doubt or lie. But the presentation was top notch and the storytelling and atmosphere kept things going for me.

Yes I know they're remastering a 6 year old game, but its nice to know that even Rockstar is supporting software for the Nintendo Switch. Also, this means one Dan Ryckert will be in a game that will be on a Nintendo platform.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

L.A. Noire might just be my favorite Rockstar game, so this news pleases me.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11 Ben_H  Online

I will totally replay this on PS4. I played through LA Noire twice and liked it a lot. The DLC for it seemed really good too.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game really doesn't have enough engaging gameplay if you know everything already, and being that I watched a playthrough, I do, so I won't be getting this for my Switch. But it is good to see a major 3rd party like Rockstar giving the Switch attention

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this game. But. This is everything that's wrong with gaming nowadays. Instead of fixing, say, the Steam version, removing 30fps lock, etc etc, they are doing this. Sure, great for plebs with a Switch (granted I own one), but pointless cash grab in the eyes of a real gamer. Also, I'm still waiting for MJ's Billie Jean to be returned to GTA San Andreas. Yeah, f*** off Rockstar. I'm going to be pirating Red Dead Redemption 2, sue me. GET THE BENZ.

Edit: censored the swear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This game doesn't deserve a remaster it deserves a sequel in a different time period this is the most laziness generation of gaming that I have ever experience. I wish someone would create a picture of all the remasters and HD remakes since this generation has started it's ridiculous .

djn3811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By djn3811

I didn't really care much for LA Noire when I played it back in 2011, I think I was mostly put off by the story twist. That said I think back to it every few months and have an urge to play it again. I think I'll give it another try when the remaster comes out. There were things to like, it was really just that one thing that colored my impression of the game.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a world where there still hasn't been a PC port or rerelease of Red Dead Redemption, this move makes no sense...

..but I don't care, because L.A. Noire was a fun experiment and I can't wait to see it through again six years later.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This is a really good game and still very unique. There are real flaws to the story, but some of it is really amazing and as a fan of noir, pulled off quite well.

The music, visuals, and attention to detail are icing on the cake.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Tom_omb

LA Noire is my favorite Rockstar published game. It's the only one I ever finished, but I don't want to buy it again. It's cool that it's available for people who missed it the first time. I don't think a sequel would be right either. If this sells well I'd like to see Rockstar make a new game in a period setting.... besides Red Dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Never beat it back in the day so I may pick this up--my affinity toward noir has grown since then too. While it doesn't seem like a game that lends itself to handheld playing it might be novel on the Switch, but the lack of sweet achievos has me leaning towards PS4. Idk man.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I wonder how much they'll charge for this, remember picking up the PS3 version for $10 on Black Friday. At least Rockstar knows better than to release RDR ever again. ?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Selfishly I wonder if these changes will find their way back into the PC version. It would be nice to play it at 60 fps without needing to hack the game.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There was a thread recently about which R* game you would like a remaster of. I voted for L.A Noire and here it is. Coincidence or fate? Now I'm not sure if I even want such a thing.

Is the PC version considerably better than the 360/PS3?

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can't really say that I had much interest in the game when it first launched, and that hasn't really changed much. In principle, I do appreciate the re-release of beloved (and/or overlooked) games on new consoles, though.

Jeremy808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it for 360 and have been thinking a lot lately about playing it again because I don't remember much of it when I played through it originally. Thinking ill just pick up this remaster instead.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried to play this game a few times but I really can't separate it from all the bad shit that went on behind the scenes with this game. Hopefully some of the revenue for this goes towards the people who deserve it but... I really doubt that.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the VR port is way more interesting than a direct port of a 6 year old game

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soulcake

Finally i can kill Dan Ryckert in high definition.

Loading Video...

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the most baffling decisions rockstar has made. Where was the demand for this? Feels like we're being trolled honestly. They give 0 support to their shit PC port, that i paid for, and now release an awkward detective sim on the fucking Switch? The game was fine for a playthrough but was a little too precious with itself. Do something new R*, if you can pry yourself out of the trash that is GTA online for long enough...

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LA Noire>RDR???????

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These remasters need to stop tbh. It was a good game but didn't need a remaster one gen later.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good game but too bad the studio fucked over their workers so bad. Game doesn't really hold to a second play through but i wish they would take the tech and make a sequel of some kind. Something with more available outcomes and less linear.

There was a plan for a sequel or a spiritual successor called Whore of the Orient.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Never finished L.A. Noire, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Same for me, I after two mission is the late game, whatever 'desk' that was, I could see where it was going. It was an interesting game that coudl have been so much more. I liked that is was far less humorous that GTA game and certainly far more narrow in scope. I loved seeing late 1940s Los Angeles! What a treat that game was for imagining LA before the sprawl.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

One of my favorite games, can't wait to play it again without having to plug in a 360.

desmondsparrs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking loved that game. My 360 copy is broken(console scratched it) but I have it for the PS3 but I can't get myself to do the hassle with my Siberia headphones and switch to my PS3 to replay that game. Finally I can play this game again without much hassle! I'm def buying this!

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

L.A. Norie was so good, but I don't see myself buying this because of the amount of games that have been released this year that I haven't been able to play this year.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FrostyRyan

I hope this is leading to a new game.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm with the "it was good" crowd here - I didn't finish it entirely but put a lot of time into it on 360. I bought it on PC and was baffled by the poor port and hoped this news was going to be with tweaks to that version but no dice. I'd welcome another entry here, and I hope it signals they might return to something like it because it was cool as a change of pace. I still want to see a remaster of RDR and it come to PC but I think the ship has sailed there, unless it's well under way and releasing just a few months before RDR2, we won't get it. RDR actually runs well on the Xbox One via Backwards Compatibility and I picked up a digital copy so maybe when Destiny 2 finally sours on me I can go back to the west.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't get into it after an hour. The movies it's inspired by are more interesting.

These remasters need to stop tbh. It was a good game but didn't need a remaster one gen later.

People don't wanna play old games, so it's safer to remaster new games.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

Couldn't get into it after an hour. The movies it's inspired by are more interesting.

@rebel_scum said:

One example to refute that would be the Crash trilogy. Didn't they remaster Halo as well? But yeah I disagree with what you said about "people don't wanna play old games." Isn't there a general discussion thread about playing a gem from previous generations? And most Vita owners will probably tell you that its a PS1 handheld lol.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@rebel_scum said:

One example to refute that would be the Crash trilogy. Didn't they remaster Halo as well? But yeah I disagree with what you said about "people don't wanna play old games." Isn't there a general discussion thread about playing a gem from previous generations? And most Vita owners will probably tell you that its a PS1 handheld lol.

Crash is a remake, which makes it a lot easier to look at for players now. Few devs are gonna do that. Remastering is much easier.

I don't know... I'm going off seeing, for example, people asking if they can start the MGS series with the newest game, as if the old ones aren't even an option. I doubt remasters of very old games make as much money.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @rebel_scum said:
    @ezekiel said:

@rebel_scum said:

Crash is a remake, which makes it a lot easier to look at for players now. Few devs are gonna do that. Remastering is much easier.

I don't know... I'm going off seeing, for example, people asking if they can start the MGS series with the newest game, as if the old ones aren't even an option. I doubt remasters of very old games make as much money.

Haha, I'm in the middle of finishing every MGS game in chronological order. Up to MGSV atm. I'll admit though, going from that to the first MG game is gonna be rough no doubt, even though I grew up with that early era.

Yeah my bad, about Crash. But yeah I don't see much of people trying to avoid old games. Usually when remakes get announced like Secret of Mana for example you see tons of comments from people saying they're gonna play the originals. So there's that.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was novel for about the first half, but really didnt feel all that fleshed out far as the city and open world imo which dragged it down. God people were gushing over the fucking face motion capture as the new thing to change gaming. Im mildly surprised its being re released. More money for them I guess, but is there really a fan base for it? And Switch version? I guess Skyrim didnt look amazingly bad on it...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Could've been the best game ever (I'm a big, big fan of the Blade Runner PC adventure game and all the pre-release hype had me fantasizing about a modern version of that) but the questioning became far too convoluted in the mid and late game. Either that or I'm totally socially inept and unable to read people and need to quit my job as a bartender tonight. That said, introduced my girlfriend to Mad Men last year and she's never dated a gamer before so we've had a lot of fun going through story driven stuff like Last of Us, Until Dawn and Uncharted Lost Legacy. She'd played Walking Dead and another Telltale game on her iPad before so she's also into the interactive storytelling stuff - we role played specific characters for our Until Dawn playthrough. So, I'm definitely signed up to play this again whether I'd fully like to or not (to be honest: I'm really excited), probably ask her to do all the detective work and I'll handle Cole's vigilante justice streak. If anything, I'll probably enjoy the game more due to her variety of, "I did not realize video games could be like this," and, "wait, that actor is in a video game?!" comments.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The box art for this rerelease is fantastic.

No Caption Provided

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ezekiel

@rebel_scum said:
    Haha, I'm in the middle of finishing every MGS game in chronological order. Up to MGSV atm. I'll admit though, going from that to the first MG game is gonna be rough no doubt, even though I grew up with that early era.

Why did you do that? The chronological order of MGS is the release order. You see, each game elaborates on the stories of the previous games (or retcons them). Each game also builds on the mechanics of the previous games. MGS1 would have had less significance for me if I had played 3 first.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NTM

@ezekiel said:
    @rebel_scum said:

Why did you do that? The chronological order of MGS is the release order. You see, each game elaborates on the stories of the previous games (or retcons them). Each game also builds on the mechanics of the previous games. MGS1 would have had less significance for me if I had played 3 first.

Yep. I don't know where this got off-topic, but I second this. Play MGS in the order of release, not the order of story timeline. Also, I may be in the minority (I don't know), but I still like every MGS game despite their age and lack of aspects sequels brought over. They also often have their own unique gameplay aspects.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.