Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

LA Noire, about half way through, is it worth it to continue?

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dread612

So I picked up the PC version the other day. Rockstar once again disappoints with a crappy unoptimized port. I'm playing with a 360 controller cause the rumble over the clues is kind of important but I switch to mouse when ever I need to shot someone. Sigh. Regardless, to the game play.

I'm about 2/3s through the Homicide cases. So I'm about 8 hr in or so. It's starting to get very repetitive. Examine the dead woman, her left hand, her right, her stomach, her face. Collect the 3-4 clues from the site. Drive to 2-3 places. Run after a dude or car chase. Question the dude. Cut scenes. Repeat for next case.

So to the people who have played this game, is something going to change for the better if I push through? Is it worth it to keep playing or have I seen what it's going to be?

Update:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just wrapped up Homicide. I've had enough I'm tapping out. I've uninstalled it.

I'm still very mixed on this game, put in about 10 hrs into it. Not sure it was worth it? Maybe?

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

If you're halfway through the game it's all downhill from here on out. I didn't enjoy the second half at all(because you'll keep on doing the same stuff over and over again), let alone the ending. I barely did one case a day during the last weeks I played it.  

If you're feeling satisfied with what you've seen of the game, go watch the ending on YouTube and be done with it I'd say. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

You're not missing much. I have no idea how it reviewed so well, it's a pretty poor game. Too many people were busy jizzing over the facial animation.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TentPole

I find the second half to be far stronger than the first. That being said if you are not enjoying it yet then just put it down because it is not going to change itself into something you will appreciate.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kmdrkul

I honestly thought the climax during the homicide desk was the best part. Then you get to vice and it's just really boring.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I only made it about 3 hours into the game and I played on the 360.

I was looking forward to investigations and such but my god, there is no variety at all.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

It gets very cool towards the end of the game plot wise, I'd say go for it.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Revan_NL

Finish the homicide desk, there are some pretty neat things going on with that near the end, after that the game goes downhill. Like really downhill, like it's falling off the Mount Everest.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

Nope. I made it to the last desk and just couldn't convince myself to play any more. Save yourself the time dude.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

I found the second half dull and receptive. I grew frustrated at the game for repeating itself in its story hooks. The story repeats the same structure in arson in homicide. No attachment to characters. The game dove right off a cliff during/after homicide. I disliked the story at the end, just poorly done.

Specifically. The Arson desk made me hate the game. Everything about that desk and the way it is literally the same crap from homicide turned me off.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 49th  Online

I started enjoying the game a lot after the homicide desk, which I found to be a bit too grim and repetitive personally. Vice was alright but after that it gets really good and I enjoyed my time with it overall.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

At least finish Homicide. The last homicide case is pretty different from the usual flow, and I liked the ending of it quite a bit.

Beyond that, probably not if it's already feeling repetitive. I know it was after homicide that I started to lose interest.

But the DLC case "Nicholson Electroplating" is the best case in the game (or at least I think so). I don't know how that stuff works in the PC version, but I highly recommend playing that case, and on consoles you could just play that stuff whenever.

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

The homicide ending is wear the game should have ended.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I got to the arson desk and couldn't but I couldn't bring myself to continue.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By dogbox

I found the Homicide cases to be the least interesting in the game, personally. I think it gets a lot better during Ad Vice and Arson. But, you will still be examining bodies and clues, and driving around.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sagesebas

I don't think time has been good for L.A. Noire

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marcsman

I disliked it from the start.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bestostero

LA Noire was a good game! I'm surprised so many people didn't like it. I loved it.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By haggis

It's worth finishing, even if the ending (and the entire last case) is ... a train wreck. But if you're already finding it repetitive then don't feel bad about putting it aside. I mean, seriously, don't waste your time on a game that isn't going to change at all. The game is so even that it's boring. There's hardly any tension in the plot. If you're waiting for it to get better, it doesn't.

That said, I'd like to see Rockstar or someone take the idea and do a better job of it than Team Bondi did. So much potential; so much disappointment. :/

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I got sick of it quickly. It was more or less a glorified point and click adventure game (In my eyes) 

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By Atlas

If you aren't willing to give yourself over to LA Noire's style and feel, and if you cannot get absorbed in the game's world, then there's not much that the later portions of the game will do to change your mind. For me, that game is all about tone and atmosphere; the actual story is almost secondary to that, which accounts for why I loved the game while also acknowledging the weaknesses in the story and some of the repetitiveness. The gameplay was neat and all, and some of the technology behind it is jaw-dropping, but the music, the aesthetics, the ambience, the spirit of the 40s is what makes that game special and unique. So few games can hit that kind of stylistic note - The Saboteur was a valiant effort - and I feel that the people who didn't like the game got caught up in the details and the technical side of playing the game, which are, in my view, the least essential aspects of the experience.

In your case, you might want to drop it. Enough people have raged about how that game ends that maybe you'll spare yourself some anger by not seeing it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

I say go play through it but don't expect to walk away afterwards glad you've played the game. I'm seeing people throw around the word disappointment for games like Arkham City and Uncharted 3 which baffles me because L.A.Noire and Rage are quite possibly the most disappointing games this year if not this entire generation.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TentPole

The game has a great ending and screw anyone who hates things that are not wrapped up with a convenient bow at the end. Does anyone like the film A Serious Man? Now that is an even greater ending.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GeekDown

I think it is one of the best games of the year and I loved pretty much every minute of it. It's definitely worth finishing even though the ending isn't all that great.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By swamplord666

tbh, although i loved the game at first, towards the end i wanted it to end and got pretty sick of it overall. I wish i could say i enjoyed the game but i know deep down that i didn't.

Also the mess at team bondi helped that thought.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @sagesebas said:

I don't think time has been good for L.A. Noire

Which kind of pisses me off. The GiantBomb staff wasted an entire episode of the BombCast talking about LA Noire, they've could of created a separate podcast about the game, and then several weeks later the staff is all like, "Yeah that game isn't that great." I was like, "Fuck you Patrick Klementia."  Ryan Davis was apart of that conversation but I like Ryan Davis =/.
    theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theguy

I loved it but as soon as I got to arson I just gave up. What I played was great though just make sure you don't try to marathon it, take it case by case it's much better that way.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eminenssi

Very soon after starting the game I found myself thinking two things: 1) It's an spiced up adventure game, it has some action thrown in but it's very methodical in its pacing. 2) Definitely one of the more stylish games I've come across.

I think it requires a certain mindset to enjoy, I think it was Vinny who said he thinks it's best enjoyed in small chunks over time, and I heavily agree. I've played the game in 1-3 case chunks, 'cept taking a longer session to power through most of homicide cases, wanting to get rid of Rusty and the morbid mood, only to get bored by it during that lengthy session. That said, I slowed down, am still playing (end of vice currently) and enjoying the setting & mood greatly, but don't feel there's any rush to sprint to finish.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I gave up on it about halfway through, deciding that I never wanted to play it again. It is not a very good game. The gameplay is pretty lousy and things get so dull and repetitive. I couldn't continue to drag myself through it. I wasn't having fun and the game just has too many problems bringing it down. It totally doesn't deserve the high review scores it received. I think it's probably 2011's most overrated game.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Seems pretty mixed here, I really enjoyed this game and I thought the story good pretty good towards the end. I'd say go for it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Dagbiker

the separate missions are good, until the arson and the one before it. where they tie together in a plot hole ridden way.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Vexxan said:
    If you're halfway through the game it's all downhill from here on out. I didn't enjoy the second half at all(because you'll keep on doing the same stuff over and over again), let alone the ending. I barely did one case a day during the last weeks I played it.   If you're feeling satisfied with what you've seen of the game, go watch the ending on YouTube and be done with it I'd say. 
    This guy has it right. There's no rule anywhere that says you need to finish a game. Games are really long; go watch two or three good movies instead of wasting your time doing something you aren't even really enjoying.
    MrFwankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrFwankie

No.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fullmetal5550

@Vexxan said:

If you're halfway through the game it's all downhill from here on out. I didn't enjoy the second half at all(because you'll keep on doing the same stuff over and over again), let alone the ending. I barely did one case a day during the last weeks I played it. If you're feeling satisfied with what you've seen of the game, go watch the ending on YouTube and be done with it I'd say.

The ending never really bothered me that much. It was what led to the ending that disappointed me.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sagesebas

It's weird to think how every one loved it at the start, it probably had to do with the face tech, but I guess the game under it wasn't so great. I rented it and really had no conection to it at all

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Sooperspy

If you don't care for it, then stop. The last few desks aren't too great.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dread612

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just wrapped up Homicide. I've had enough I'm tapping out. I've uninstalled it.

I'm still very mixed on this game, put in about 10 hrs into it. Not sure it was worth it? Maybe?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RsistncE

If you're not enjoying it now there's nothing in the rest of the game that will change that for you. If you're really not enjoying it then just stop playing since you're definitely not going to enjoy the rest of the game.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SlightConfuse

this would have been a good episodic game i felt it got too repetitive with the investigations stuff. i enjoyed the interviews and the ambiance of the world though

Avatar image for uomoartificiale
    uomoartificiale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uomoartificiale

I actually enjoyed my time with the game alot, especially because tof the tone and setting more than the story and the gameplay mechanics. I quite liked the second part twist and the finale was disappointing more because of some bad acting and rush than because of the story itself.

That said, if I detach myself from the time I had with the game, I cannot a disagree that the game is profoundly flawed. They nailed the setting, but the open world is totally useless (I went through the second part without driving myself). It's an adventure game without any puzzle, the exposition sometime makes no sense at all, the interview system screwed me all the time because there's just one right answer at the time. And, most of all, it's probably the first game with totally zero replayability I ever encountered, if I don't get some brain damage in the near future, I cannot see myself play it again ever. Also the DLC was clearly pulled from the main game (bastards) and, even if I bought the season pass for all the DLCs, the consul's car case wasn't included for the PS3 in the pass (but it's in the store now -> no thanks).

So a big disappointment? yes. A good game? I still feel compelled to say yes nonetheless.

But those are just my 2 cents. If you didn't like it so far I don't think that the end game will change that.Maybe let it sink for a while and then give it another chance.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Uninstall that rip-off POS and piss on its dead corpse  

Edit: Good on you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.