Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts III

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 25, 2019

The third sequentially numbered title in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

KH3 Opening ft. Skrillex released

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So today is a momentous day. The FMV opening to KH3 has been released. It should be a day of joy, but instead it's a day of disappointment.

Japanese:

English:

As expected, I'm really not feeling it. At least it isn't full-on dubstep, but it's still recognizable as Skrillex to me and I just don't care for his stuff.

Perhaps even worse though, nothing seems to match up to the visuals. It's just pure chaos and very short. I have to wonder if they didn't already finish the visuals with Don't Think Twice in mind and just slapped on Face My Fears (with some editing).

Oh well, at least "Killers with an X" must be pretty stoked he got to work on one of his favorite game franchises.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
    deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting it to sound like full on Dubstep but this sounds more like Glitch Hop or something.

chacobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It ends really abruptly it's weird. I haven't been feeling the presentation of the music in this installment though outside of the intros I think it's been pretty strong.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Discordant with the visuals for sure. Song is just alright; feels like it's missing a backing track or something. There's that subtle bass that can barely be heard which I think if boosted a bit, for more of a presence, would make the song seem more whole.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Acura_Max

The song really makes me wonder if Shrillex and Hikaru Utada had even spoken to each other once. The song is not as bad as I expected but also not too great. It reminds me of how the Disney elements and the final fantasy elements mix together in the game that it is promoting.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It kinda sound like generic techno to me, but I don't really have any experience with Kingdom Hearts so maybe I'm missing some callbacks to previous themes or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's about as Kingdom Hearts as it gets

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently this is only a sample of the song. The full song is getting released near KH3's release date. I can't say it gives a good first impression though.

According to Pitchfork, Skrillex wanted to remix "Don't Think Twice," but Shrillex and Hikaru decided to do a song instead. It kind of feels like Hikaru decided to make this song so Skrillex wouldn't touch the song that she liked better.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's no Simple and Clean, but then again what is?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yup. Just as expected. It would have been the hypest shit back in 2012 when dubstep/brostep peaked, but now it just sounds dated; not "bad", but we've moved on from dubstep. I mean, as far as current music trends good, I can't hear a KH song starting with "Metro Boomin want some more..." outside of a parody or fan remix, but I would have preferred a second coming of "Sanctuary" and lean more towards symphonic rock for a more timeless sound.

@humanity said:

It kinda sound like generic techno to me, but I don't really have any experience with Kingdom Hearts so maybe I'm missing some callbacks to previous themes or something.

No, it doesn't.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some executive-level decisions were made to make that remix happen, which makes me think the western audience is definitely not as hot on the KH property as it once was before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.