Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

Pit is brought back to life, now in 3D. Using clubs, staffs, arms, bows and a variety of other weapons, the loyal angel fights a host of old and new enemies in an all-new adventure.

First impressions on Kid Icarus: Uprising

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By evanbower

Hey guys, in the meantime before Brad gets his hands on the game, just wondering what any day one buyers of the new Kid Icarus game were thinking of it so far. I've just played the first two missions, and am pleasantly surprised by it so far. The controls are taking a little while to get used to, but overall the game feels good. The writing is actually great.. has all the humour of the Mario RPG games, but is brought to life by some decent voice acting. There is even a new (to me, at least. I haven't played the original Kid Icarus) character introduced within the first hour who adds a lot of personality to the world. So far so good, I'm hoping the level of quality holds up. What is everyone else thinking?

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By liako21

waiting for a quick look. i have read bad things about it...then the final score is like 4 1/2 stars or like 85. lol sooooooo..... i dont know haha

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

@evanbower: I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Still have to try the online.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evanbower

@msavo: Yeah, me too. My friend code is 0731-4890-1128, if you want to join up, and if there is even any sort of invite system in this game.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Played the first two missions and some online. This game is damn good.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scullinator

Im really loving this game but controls are game breaking for sure.  I changed the aiming to the circle pad and movement to the face buttons.  tweaked the speed od the aiming and played with attack on both the L and R buttons, works best for me with keeping attack on the L button.   

Now this game is much more playable. Anyone else play with changing controls to find a better setup? 

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kurtbro900

The controls really aren't that bad and the graphics are amazing for a 3ds game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

@Scullinator: Hell no. The stylus aiming works great it just has a pretty steep learning curve. But when you get it down it is far quicker and more responsive than the face buttons can ever be. I don't know why they don't let you go dual analogue with the Circle Pad Pro though.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

Haven't been following this game at all. What's the reason for Nintendo bundling that weird stand with the game?

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scullinator
    @TentPole: aiming with the CIRCLE PAD and movement on the buttons.   

There is really not much to the movement, even works great to tap buttons twice to sprint and dodge.  im telling you this setup is worth trying out  no stand required and no hand cramps since im holding the ds the same way i always do.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Andorski said:

Haven't been following this game at all. What's the reason for Nintendo bundling that weird stand with the game?

I think you aim with the stylus and move with the analog. The stand frees up your right hand.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

It took me a bit of fumbling to set up the game for use with the Circle Pad Pro (lefty here), but once that hurdle was cleared, I played up through Chapter 7. This game is awesome. The controls work great, the the writing and humor are wonderfully silly with great voice acting (would you believe that Palutena is voiced by the same woman that voices Lightning in Final Fantasy XIII?), and it makes all the right callbacks to the original Kid Icarus. I still need to touch the multiplayer, but as for preliminary recommendations, I'd say if you have a 3DS, you should get this game. And if you don't have a 3DS, this is a damn good reason to get one.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1
    @evanbower Add me too: Matt 1246-9085-7280
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

I'm digging the game so far. Like with some others, I'm still getting used to the controls.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64

Also Im surprised there isn't a community thread for this game yet. Someone should put that together.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By evanbower

@Scullinator said:

@TentPole: aiming with the CIRCLE PAD and movement on the buttons. There is really not much to the movement, even works great to tap buttons twice to sprint and dodge. im telling you this setup is worth trying out no stand required and no hand cramps since im holding the ds the same way i always do.

I did give it a try. But I have to say, after getting used to the touch aiming, I think it feels great.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By ahgunsillyo
    @Hailinel: Awesomely enough, Ali Hillis also voices Liara in the Mass Effect games. I like her voice quite a bit.

I'm still getting used to the controls (and I have been playing at my desk with the awesome stand!), but I have to say that I'm rather impressed by what I've played so far. There is a staggering amount of content in this game (in other words, and forgive me if this is played out, it's a Sakurai-ass Sakurai game).

I'm about 5 chapters in, and already I'm overwhelmed by the amount of unlockables and weapons and powers there are. They even have that Brawl-style slot machine minigame to earn more idols (the equivalent of trophies in Super Smash Bros). I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'll check that out soon.

Insanely enough, though, the first thing I checked out when I booted up the game for the first time were the AR Cards. I had a hard time getting the game to recognize some of the cards, especially from beyond around 1.5 feet or so. It might have had to do with the lighting conditions, but I found the act of recognizing the cards to be a little finicky.

I haven't played too much of it so far, but I'm really liking what I have played. It's pretty awesome.
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishinfoulux

Are the controls really that bad? What is the default setting?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

I saw the Quick Look. It looked like it should have been on the Wii, or like a Wii port would be very welcome. Or something that should have daul analog controls

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@kishinfoulux said:

Are the controls really that bad? What is the default setting?

The controls aren't bad: they're good. At least, I really like them. Using the touch screen for aiming feels much more intuitive than using, say, a second analogue stick.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By freewilly5

Doesn't this game have the exact same control scheme as Metroid Prime: Hunters? Why did no one complain about that game? Is the 3DS that much more heavy? Still trying to decide whether to buy this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel

@believer258 said:

I saw the Quick Look. It looked like it should have been on the Wii, or like a Wii port would be very welcome. Or something that should have daul analog controls

Doesn't need them, really. The game plays fine. People claiming that the controls are terrible are overreacting.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 49th

The big thing putting me off is that I'm left handed. I don't really want to buy a circle pad pro, is it possible for a left hander to play without one comfortably?

GolazoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GolazoDan

I got the game this morning and thus far am enjoying it. The flying bits are better but that's because the controls feel much more natural. The ground controls take some getting used to but they're not so bad. I'm using the stand and that helps a lot, at least if you want to play it for a long period of time. The main criticism has been the control scheme but it's not bad, it just seems to be the only thing that's potentially divisive about it so it's been magnified.

The thing that I really like about this game is that it seems incredibly deep. I haven't even delved that much into the weapons, nor the multiplayer, but there seems to be loads to do. There's the achievement thing which is nice, idols (codex, YOU CAN CATAPULT EGGS FOR SOME REASON!) and all of that non-essential but appreciated extra content. I also really, really like the game's humour. It's genuinely funny, particularly the discussion about why angels bathe with their clothes on and a flying sequence where the lady you're talking to blames something on "MY BOTCHED LASER EYE SURGERY". It's great.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@49th said:

The big thing putting me off is that I'm left handed. I don't really want to buy a circle pad pro, is it possible for a left hander to play without one comfortably?

You can map Pti's movement to the face buttons (XYAB). Not sure how well it works, however. As a fellow lefty, I bought the Circle Pad Pro and have been using that exclusively.

Distrato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Distrato

I'm in love with the game at the moment. Its just so much fun to play. The multiplayer is really fun and I normally don't play multiplayer games at all especially on handheld. The camera and controls during land battles were great and easy to get used to after I changed the settings to stop the camera when I flick right or left instead of continuing to slide.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scullinator

@49th: I believe my setup with aiming on the circle pad and movement on the face buttons would work perfectly for a lefty. Feels a lot like playing starfox on the DS.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By evanbower
    @believer258

I like the game alot, but I have to agree with you on the wii statement. Given all the kid Icarus wii rumours that went around a few years ago, I have to think this actually started out as a Wii game, was put on hiatus due to the Factor 5 turmoil, and was revamped under Sakurai as a 3DS game. Of course that is all complete speculation. If all that is true though, I'm glad in the end it had the chance to be all Sakurai-d up, because that guy just has a way with making me obsess over a game's extras.
    evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By evanbower
    @49th

You can switch the aiming to the face buttons.. But probably your best bet would be switching movement to the face buttons and aiming to the circle pad. It sounds bad, but is a method I considered while getting used to the touch aiming. It worked pretty well!
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kishinfoulux

@freewilly5 said:

Doesn't this game have the exact same control scheme as Metroid Prime: Hunters? Why did no one complain about that game? Is the 3DS that much more heavy? Still trying to decide whether to buy this.

I actually recall that being one of the main beefs people had with the game. I remember trying it out at a demo kiosk at a store and thinking "well this is no good".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@kishinfoulux said:

@freewilly5 said:

I actually recall that being one of the main beefs people had with the game. I remember trying it out at a demo kiosk at a store and thinking "well this is no good".

Metroid Prime: Hunters didn't have analogue movement, however.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By evanbower

@Hailinel said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@freewilly5 said:

Metroid Prime: Hunters didn't have analogue movement, however.

Just to clarify, even though you move Pit with what we normally think of as an "analogue stick," his movement in the game is largely digital. His movement speed isn't analogous to how far you push the circle pad, but is determined by a digital input of pushing the stick, or quick tapping the stick from a stopped position. I'm only pointing this out because this is actually my only problem with the way the game controls.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel

I think I've finally hit a wall as far as the difficulty is concerned. I reached a boss that I can't beat, either because I'm just not moving right, or my weapon isn't powerful enough to deal damage fast enough to outlast him. I figured that this was bound to happen eventually though since I've had a number of fights come down to the skin of my teeth. Still, I continue to be amazed at just how may stages there are in this game. I honestly didn't think that the single-player would be nearly this long.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By liako21

I just bought the game today. I really like it. I am using the default controls and they are not that bad, you just have to get used to them. The stuff I read prior to me getting this game made the controls seem unbearable. It looks great, sounds great, and writing its top notch. I have only jumped into the multiplayer for about 10 min but I need to progress in the single player story some more because i was getting owned. The stand is nice and sturdy as well!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.