Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

My variation on Project B.E.A.S.T. - Manley edition!: "All Dres'd up and no place to go"

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrzBlueFog

So this one's a little late - my Steam HD started dying so I had to replace it. Then it took some time figuring out what target would be possible... and about 5 tries to pull it off. It's an interesting design (which I slightly modified to incorporate full asparagus staging, replaced the probe body with a battery, and added some legs) which flies reasonably well in the atmosphere. The last stage, though, isn't the most suited for the mission I tried to accomplish!

Hope you enjoy!

The Arkangel! Far be it for me to question Mr. Manley's design decisions but that monopropellant tank is hyuuuuuge! I also don't reeeeally think two separators are necessary but I'll keep them both for the sake of consistency. Since our ship is manned I've replaced the probe body with a battery (as he talked about in the video) and added some landing legs! I also drained a lot of the monopropellant tank to gain about 350m/s of Δv.
    The Arkangel! Far be it for me to question Mr. Manley's design decisions but that monopropellant tank is hyuuuuuge! I also don't reeeeally think two separators are necessary but I'll keep them both for the sake of consistency. Since our ship is manned I've replaced the probe body with a battery (as he talked about in the video) and added some landing legs! I also drained a lot of the monopropellant tank to gain about 350m/s of Δv.
    Also added are some launch stability enhancers solely to provide power while we wait for a launch window.
    Also added are some launch stability enhancers solely to provide power while we wait for a launch window. "Was it really necessary to put us in the capsule 55 days before launch?" "Yes, it's cheaper than a hotel."
    Kertrice Kerman and crew are startled out of their 2 months of slumber by the sudden jolt of liftoff.
    Kertrice Kerman and crew are startled out of their 2 months of slumber by the sudden jolt of liftoff.
    Going full asparagus!
    Going full asparagus!
    Second-to-last booster detached.
    Second-to-last booster detached.
    "Still a decent amount of fuel in these last boosters... though I'm sure Manley would have had more." "... thanks for the input, Kertrice."
    "You're sure about this maneuver?" "Super sure, Kertrice. What could go wrong?"
    Back to the KSC to accelerate time until our transfer window opens up... a couple of months later.
    Back to the KSC to accelerate time until our transfer window opens up... a couple of months later. "Hey! KSC! Wake up down there! Stop browsing Reddit and get to work!"
    Burning for Kerbin escape.
    Burning for Kerbin escape.
    "I sure hope this course is sound..."
    Bye bye Kerbin!
    Bye bye Kerbin!
    "Yeah so why do we need this huge mid-course correction? I thought you said our first maneuver was good?" "... uh... didn't copy your last, Kertrice." "Ugh. Manley wouldn't have made this mistake."
    "What are YOU so happy about? Staring at that blank panel like that is kind of creepy..."
    On direct approach to our target - the planet Dres!
    On direct approach to our target - the planet Dres!
    Dres is located between Duna (Mars) and Jool (Jupiter). It's the equivalent of the dwarf planet Ceres in our solar system!
    Dres is located between Duna (Mars) and Jool (Jupiter). It's the equivalent of the dwarf planet Ceres in our solar system!
    We don't have the Δv to establish and orbit and THEN land, so we're going for a straight suicide burn!
    We don't have the Δv to establish and orbit and THEN land, so we're going for a straight suicide burn!
    Just a little tap of our fuel reserves to slow down. Luckily Dres's gravity is low.
    Just a little tap of our fuel reserves to slow down. Luckily Dres's gravity is low. "You couldn't have installed some LIGHTS on this thing so I can actually see?!" "Wasn't in the original design spec." "Neither were legs! Your argument makes no sense!" "... just land the thing."
    Touchdown in the dark!
    Touchdown in the dark! "I can't believe we're alive."
    Accelerating time to better see our surroundings.
    Accelerating time to better see our surroundings. "Not... the worst landing site imaginable."
    EVA on Dres! The whole crew posing for a picture with our inspiring flag.
    EVA on Dres! The whole crew posing for a picture with our inspiring flag. "... quit showing off, Herke."
    Back on board.
    Back on board. "Yeah, big surprise, no ladders in the original design doc either, huh?"
    "Somehow I get the feeling this engine wasn't really intended for interplanetary travel..."
    Dres's low gravity lets us get into a low orbit for a moderate amount of Δv.
    Dres's low gravity lets us get into a low orbit for a moderate amount of Δv.
    Almost a year later we're at our transfer window
    Almost a year later we're at our transfer window
    "I think I could get out and push faster than this thing accelerates."
    "You're aware there's not an encounter at the other end of this maneuver, right? And it's consuming almost all our remaining fuel?"
    "... this course correction is AFTER our Kerbin periapsis!" "Yeah, so... it's just one more orbit! And... another year or two in space..." "... Manley wouldn't have made this screw-up..."
    "This one had better work. We're out of gas."
    Yeah so there's one more correction needed...
    Yeah so there's one more correction needed...
    Monopropellant to the rescue!
    Monopropellant to the rescue! "In retrospect KSC should have ordered us to ditch the empty fuel tanks and engine. In retrospect... yeah, Manley wouldn't have made this screw-up either."
    Probably could have dumped another 50m/s of Δv worth of monopropellant to be honest.
    Probably could have dumped another 50m/s of Δv worth of monopropellant to be honest.
    Good aerobraking altitude.
    Good aerobraking altitude. "Assuming we don't explode."
    Hello Kerbin!
    Hello Kerbin! "We're coming in... awfully fast."
    Ditching the bulk of our spacecraft.
    Ditching the bulk of our spacecraft. "Look out below! That monopropellant tank still has some juice in it!"
    Yeah so it turns out that at high speeds... solar panels explode violently. Quote of the mission from Kertrice Kerman:
    Yeah so it turns out that at high speeds... solar panels explode violently. Quote of the mission from Kertrice Kerman: "WAAGH!"
    We have aerocapture!
    We have aerocapture!
    Landing in one!
    Landing in one! "ASSUMING WE DON'T EXPLODE!"
    Extreme atmospheric interface.
    Extreme atmospheric interface. "You mean roasting us alive?"
    Finally slowing down.
    Finally slowing down. "Why do we always land at night?"
    Good chute!
    Good chute! "Maybe we might live after all."
    Touchdown!
    Touchdown! "Can we go outside?" "Well, the radiators are glowing red. Might start a forest fire. Might melt your face off." "We'll wait till morning..."
    The intrepid crew! Only seven years in space!
    The intrepid crew! Only seven years in space! "Matt Damon's got nothing on me."

PREVIOUS MISSIONS:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.