Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

My attempt at Project B.EA.S.T. 06 - Attempt #... I don't know, I really lost count

OrzBlueFog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, so timing isn't really my strong suit, finishing this one up right as the 7th episode came out.

So after failing to pull off the mission on my first two attempts [documented here] I decided to stick with it and see if it really is at all possible to pull off this mission with the design they used. It turns out with some very fiddly flying you can make it back to with enough fuel to enter Kerbin's atmosphere.

That's where things got difficult.

With so much crap bolted to the bottom of the pod it was nearly impossible to keep oriented correctly. I had to aerobrake over many orbits to get down slow enough to successfully land without exploding from overheating. It was a nightmare. See for yourself!

Liftoff! As before, no changes to the base design used in the video whatsoever
    Liftoff! As before, no changes to the base design used in the video whatsoever
    Gravity turn and 2nd asparagus stage separation
    Gravity turn and 2nd asparagus stage separation
    In orbit... and with more fuel this time thanks to some piloting tweaks
    In orbit... and with more fuel this time thanks to some piloting tweaks
    Burning for translunar injection!
    Burning for translunar injection!
    No waiting on orbit this time - it's a straight shot from liftoff to the Mun!
    No waiting on orbit this time - it's a straight shot from liftoff to the Mun!
    Burning for Mun capture
    Burning for Mun capture
    Landing... well, they added this piddly little stage, so let's use it
    Landing... well, they added this piddly little stage, so let's use it
    Aaaand it's gone. Still burning...
    Aaaand it's gone. Still burning...
    Valentia lands safely and plants her flag... and this time doesn't have to live here!
    Valentia lands safely and plants her flag... and this time doesn't have to live here!
    Liftoff and burning for the return home!
    Liftoff and burning for the return home!
    This time we have an excellent return trajectory, saving the most fuel of any change on this attempt
    This time we have an excellent return trajectory, saving the most fuel of any change on this attempt
    Burning to lower our apoapsis... because our speed is TOO DAMN HIGH!
    Burning to lower our apoapsis... because our speed is TOO DAMN HIGH!
    The worst part of this entire mission - getting our speed down so we don't explode in the atmosphere. It took many, many attempts to get this right.
    The worst part of this entire mission - getting our speed down so we don't explode in the atmosphere. It took many, many attempts to get this right.
    Finally, a result that didn't end with burning Valentia chunks scattered across the upper atmosphere!
    Finally, a result that didn't end with burning Valentia chunks scattered across the upper atmosphere!
    A soggy landing is a million times better than a fiery one. What an ordeal!
    A soggy landing is a million times better than a fiery one. What an ordeal!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.