Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

Mining for Fun and Profit

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By Shivoa

So I've been preparing for the KSP 1.2 patch (which will involve building out a satellite network to ensure communications with unmanned craft - I've never tried the mods that add similar functionality) by poking at the ore refinement system they added back at 1.0. Give me some practice with precision vehicles/landing and all that before the added risk of loss of communication is added into the mix. Yes, it's a photo blog!

I started out with sandbox mode and some over-engineered monstrosities in space around the Mun to work out what was what (hint: gravity is bad).
    I started out with sandbox mode and some over-engineered monstrosities in space around the Mun to work out what was what (hint: gravity is bad).
    So when moving into a real save, I built some large mining rovers to initially throw at Minmus (yes, they come in for a hot landing straight onto the wheels).
    Even with the ore canisters empty, they're not exactly light to get off Kerbin (and you've got the wrap them to stop the wheels causing aerodynamic horrors).
    Even with the ore canisters empty, they're not exactly light to get off Kerbin (and you've got the wrap them to stop the wheels causing aerodynamic horrors).

Of course, you've got to know where on the surface to land the rovers and for that you need scans from a polar orbit.

I may have gone somewhat fancy with the satellite design so one design can be sent to anywhere in the system with enough of an initial shove.
    I may have gone somewhat fancy with the satellite design so one design can be sent to anywhere in the system with enough of an initial shove.
    But when an area has been flagged then the rovers can congregate and pin down exactly where the best ore deposits are (they can also kiss when they meet).
    But when an area has been flagged then the rovers can congregate and pin down exactly where the best ore deposits are (they can also kiss when they meet).
    And all that ore needs a processing plant (and empty fuel tanks to spare) to turn it into unlimited fuel (and house the Kerbal who overclocks the drills when they hook up). Almost ran out of fuel landing this one.
    And all that ore needs a processing plant (and empty fuel tanks to spare) to turn it into unlimited fuel (and house the Kerbal who overclocks the drills when they hook up). Almost ran out of fuel landing this one.
    Finally, the complete unit is assembled on a deposit and ferry shuttles can drop down to grab fuel payloads which they push up into orbit for ships passing by.
    Finally, the complete unit is assembled on a deposit and ferry shuttles can drop down to grab fuel payloads which they push up into orbit for ships passing by.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.