Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ken Griffey Jr.

Character » appears in 30 games

Retired professional baseball player that played from 1989 to mid-2010 for the Seattle Mariners, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox.

"The Kid" calls it a career; Hopes of another "Slugfest" dashed

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ
    One of the best that ever played the game 
    One of the best that ever played the game 
    Today, one of the best players in baseball history decided to hang up his cleats. Ken Griffey Jr decided that today, exactly 22 years to the day since he was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in 1987, it was time to hang it up. He leaves the league at number 6 all time in home runs (630), close to 2,000 RBIs, nearly 3,000 hits, 13 all star selections, 10 gold gloves, and an MVP in 1997. He leaves the game nearly guaranteed to be a first ballot hall of famer, and as one of the only clean home run hitters of his era. While guys like Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds needed to be on steroids to do what they did, Griffey did it on his natural talent alone. 
    It is tantalizing to think about what his career might have been had Griffey managed to stay healthy during his time in Cincinatti. He should have been hitting his home run hitting prime when he requested a trade from Seattle to the Reds on the dawn of the new millenium, but instead had a career marred with disappointment and injury. The only player to have a realistic shot of being on two all-century teams, Griffey never managed to match his Seattle home run numbers while donning the red stripes thanks to a number of ankle and wrist injuries. Still, he managed to reach the 600 mark before coming back to where he started in Seattle.  
    I was honestly hoping that one of these years Nintendo would revisit its old Ken Griffey Jr baseball games, and now that Michael Jordan is hitting NBA2K11, perhaps they still will. They are still majority owners of the Mariners, so having him return to the Emerald City was the best shot at another game.  

Some more unique achievements: 
    One of the best games that was ever played 
    One of the best games that was ever played 
    Most home runs on Opening Day (as well as a number of other notable days, like Mothers Day) 
    Most consecutive games with a home run (8) 
    Part of the first and only Father-Son back-to-back home run duo. 
    And there there was this, the definitive Ken Griffey Jr, and Seattle Mariner moment: 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I don't remember baseball before there was a Ken Griffey Jr. And don't forget his SNES game, pretty sweet.

PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PenguinDoctor

Oh...that Slugfest. 

On a more important note, this makes me quite sad.  I never got to see the real Griffey, as he was already in Cinny by the time I really started to care about baseball, but he always seemed like a real nice guy.  Shame that Alex Rodriguez has been able to stay healthy all these years, but Griffey had to spend some many years on the bench.  I'll miss him.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

Slugfest 64 was my childhood.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @PenguinDoctor: Oddly enough, if he had taken steroids he probably would have stayed healthy enough to break Bond's home run record. 
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DanielJW
    @Dalai said:
    " I don't remember baseball before there was a Ken Griffey Jr. And don't forget his SNES game, pretty sweet. "
    I played the hell out of this game as the kid. Man, that game was so good. Goodbye Ken Griffey, you gave me one of the most memorable gaming experiences in my life. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Dalai said:
    " I don't remember baseball before there was a Ken Griffey Jr. And don't forget his SNES game, pretty sweet. "
    I played the hell out of this game as the kid. Man, that game was so good. Goodbye Ken Griffey, you gave me one of the most memorable gaming experiences in my life.  "
    Thankfully, the Mariners just won (on Griffey's best bud Ichiro's walk off hit in extra innings). Good to see them send him out on a high note. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Lol, I still have that game for the N64. Haven't touched a finer baseball game like that since.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

The Ken Griffey Jr. games on the SNES were awesome.  It's be nice if Nintendo finds a way to get the licenses required to put them on the Virtual Console.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @AgentJ said:
    " @PenguinDoctor: Oddly enough, if he had taken steroids he probably would have stayed healthy enough to break Bond's home run record.  "
    I think the Kingdome was more responsible for his injuries later in life then anything. Playing on that hard surface for 10 years did a number on his legs.
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By masternater27

I absolutely loved the SNES games as well.  It's especially awesome looking back on them now that I'm older and realizing all the fake player names were themed.  Authors, punk rockers, presidents, famous New England heroes, etc.  Not to mention the great strike out animations, bat breaking and OOOOOH COME ON! 

edit: Forgot to put in my love for Griffey in the post as well.  Growing up in the Seattle area and being way into baseball (playing up until college), Griffey was my idol.  I'd mess around in batting practice batting left handed and emulating his batting stance.  Every year #24 was the first number to go on when we picked numbers.  It's sad that my eventual children will only know Griffey through highlights and never know the anticipation of walking up the god awful Kingdome ramp which took like 10 minutes if you had cheap ass seats to be rewarded with a Griffey homerun and fireworks leaving smoke hanging over the field.  The greatest player I'll ever get to see no matter where the statistics end up for A-Rod or Pujols

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @PenguinDoctor: Oddly enough, if he had taken steroids he probably would have stayed healthy enough to break Bond's home run record.  "
    I think the Kingdome was more responsible for his injuries later in life then anything. Playing on that hard surface for 10 years did a number on his legs. "
    Most likely, though doing spiderman jumps into the wall probably doesn't help
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @AgentJ said:
    " Most likely, though doing spiderman jumps into the wall probably doesn't help "
    Yea, Griffey Jr. always played at an extremely high level. He could have a long and prosperous career as a coach if he ever chooses to do so.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Now he can catch up on some sleep

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

One of my favorite players not to wear a Braves uniform. I've never seen anyone go to the wall like him and that sweet left handed swing. What a great Hall of Fame career and during the steroid era, not a whisper about him.

I played all his baseball video games. But Winning Run on the SNES and Slugfest on the N64 are my favorites.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

he was awesome and definitely a easy hall of famer.  

also.. 
    fuck a rod and the yankees. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @TwoOneFive said:

" also.. fuck a roid and the yankees.  "

FIXED
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @AgentJ said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:

" also.. fuck a roid and the yankees.  "

FIXED "
    true dat

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.