Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

HTC Vive

Accessory »

The HTC Vive is a virtual reality headset for the PC, developed in co-production between Valve and HTC.

Prototype HTC Vive addon reads your mind (EEG Sensors & eye tracking)

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I’ve used my eyes to interact with a virtual world before, but startup Neurable just enhanced that experience by reading my thoughts too.

What followed was a brief training session where a group of objects floated in front of me — a train, ball and block among them. Each time one of them rotated I was told to focus on that object and think “grab” in my mind. I did so a number of times for several of the objects, all successful.

https://uploadvr.com/siggraph-neurable-lets-control-virtual-world-thought/

This looks pretty cool. I wonder what Kojima would be able to do with this technology.

Gabe Newell(Valve) talked about biometrics back in 2013:

I think you’ll see controllers coming from us that use a lot of biometric data. Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we’re a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method. Motion just seems to be a way of [thinking] of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth — so to trying to talk to a game with your arms is essentially saying "oh we’re going to stop using ethernet and go back to 300 baud dial-up." Maybe there are other ways to think of that. There’s more engagement when you’re using larger skeletal muscles, but whenever we go down [that path] we sort of come away unconvinced. Biometrics on the other hand is essentially adding more communication bandwidth between the game and the person playing it, especially in ways the player isn’t necessarily conscious of. Biometrics gives us more visibility. Also, gaze tracking. We think gaze tracking is going to turn out to be super important.

Gabe Newell, The Verge Interview

Sony showed off a similar eye tracking prototype device a couple of years ago before the release of Playstation VR.

I don't think I would be able to play horror games which could read my mind and was messing with me. I am barely able to play horror games on a regular screen let alone in VR. Do you think this will ever come to market or will this go the way of the Wii vitality sensor(it was cancelled)?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.