Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2015

The sequel to Dennaton's hit 2D action game moves the neon murder from the '80s to a '90s setting, and concludes the series.

Hard Mode Buffoonery (All the Spoilers)

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

I suppose in many ways this is just a topic to vent, but I've been playing Hard Mode and it feels like a completely different game. You get blasted out of the first room and the enemy zoning game with guns, windows, and obnoxious enemy types are in full effect here. This shit is getting ridiculous, haha.

I just played 'First Blood' or the first mission with Richter where it was so hard I had to restart the mission a few times just to get a weapon spread that would let me in through the front door. In case you're not aware, every time you start a mission weapon types on enemies are fixed. Guys with guns will have guns, melee guys will have melee... but not the specific type of weapon.

The first enemy kept giving me shotguns which can't even deal with the half a dozen (no joke, a half a dozen!) enemies with knives and clubs descending on you. I got the pump (only 3 shots on hard) and then the double barrel (only 1 shot on hard!) and had to keep restarting the mission until it gave me an assault rifle.

Now, maybe you could possibly still beat it if the guy gives you a shotgun, but the weapon pick up prioritizes firearms and there are so many enemies grouped together I kept picking up the shotgun and getting shanked before I could react. And even then, you NEED a gun because there's one of those fat guys you can only kill with weapons walking toward your position with nowhere to hide. And the second floor is even better.

Hard Mode is indeed pretty fucking hard. That's not even including 'Dead Ahead' or the container ship with the detective. Fuck man, I didn't think I was going to be able to beat that one.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RonGalaxy

I just beat hard today and yup, pretty damn hard, but never unfair. Also, this game is amazing. The story in this kind of makes me wish it was made into a movie, where it can be given its due. They definitely one up the first game in that department

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

With First Blood in particular, I stood half-way in the door way so that I could still wander around outside, and then I would lure the enemies out. Meaning I could deal with all the melee guys, grab a weapon, and then focus on the rest of them. And yeah, that container ship level was real tough.

Hard mode is no joke, but I managed to hit the top of the leaderboards on one of the missions, so I'm satisfied.

No Caption Provided

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Oh man, nice! I tried the door trick you mentioned but I guess I always stepped too far into the room. I eventually fell into some classic Super Meat Boy, OG Hotline mindset of 'go go go' until something stuck. And when I got the assault rifle to spawn I just kept trying to adjust my aim and manage bullets.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I dunno if this happens on normal, but when I was playing on hard mode and threw a gun, each throw would take away some of its ammo. o_o

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I dunno if this happens on normal, but when I was playing on hard mode and threw a gun, each throw would take away some of its ammo. o_o

So the way that works, is that Hard Mode is programmed as such to cut every magazine in half when you pick it up. It's not as simple as the guns have less ammo. It means every time you grab a gun, the magazine is cut in half. So if you throw the gun and pick it up again, it halves the magazine again. It's pretty messed up and makes your choice to pick guns up and use them very deliberate. Especially in the later stages.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm just starting the Hard mode, and it definitely lives up to the name. The whole losing ammo when you drop guns and getting half than normal is rough. I haven't made it too far yet but I'm all for more challenge.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what's more difficult; completing hard mode or getting A+ on all levels on normal. Some of the Richard levels require you to get a really high combo for that rank. There's no way I'm trying for A+ on hard mode.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no way I'm A+ (or S ranking stages. I actually managed to get one on normal mode) but I managed to get to the final level and it has a pretty nice gimmick taken from the first game. I noticed it actually doesn't have any of the Hard Mode hallmarks (you get normal ammo for weapon pickups) but it has a nice twist that still makes it pretty difficult to adjust to. Fun stuff, haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm going through hard mode now. I'm at the second actor stage and it's killing me. Although I went back and replayed some levels on normal and they feel like a walk in the park now. It's weird, just have gotten better at this game at some point.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

can you re arm the flamethrower or does hard mode just not fucking give you any ammo on beard's levels i couldn't seem to find any , or is it just not highlighted anymore?

hard modes kicking my ass so far i ragequit the container ship level but came back to beat it this morning oh god that room with the 4 patrol fattys ,

im not looking forward to any more evan levels, the first one i pretty much had to force him to use lethal force, and oh god the fuckign prison level , ack ..

Avatar image for mr_fahrenheit10
    Mr_Fahrenheit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@envane: I completed the ship on hard, and on the way to the car I got stuck in a wall. Needless to say, I stopped playing the game for the day

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_fahrenheit10: ouch hate that stuck in wall shit happened to me right at the end of the abyss

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@envane said:

can you re arm the flamethrower or does hard mode just not fucking give you any ammo on beard's levels i couldn't seem to find any , or is it just not highlighted anymore?

You can definitely refill the flamethrower ammo on hard, that's the only way I managed to survive it. There's a specific crate with ammo in each area.

Also, for anyone going after the trophies/achievements; you don't need to complete Abyss on hard for the trophy, but it does count as one of the levels you need to get an A+ ranking in.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you play as the twins on hard mode, the gun character gets the normal amount of ammo. They actually might be my favourite for just running like crazy through levels. Got the combo god achievement with them on their tower section (not on hard mode though).

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

If you play as the twins on hard mode, the gun character gets the normal amount of ammo. They actually might be my favourite for just running like crazy through levels. Got the combo god achievement with them on their tower section (not on hard mode though).

I noticed that too! Which only makes them cooler in my eyes. It makes sense too. Since it only halves your ammo count if you're the one picking up the guns. Since your tag-along buddy in the Swan pair isn't you, they get normal ammo reserves. I guess they found it too punishing (or too hard to program) if your buddy gets half ammo in addition to being kind of hard to control.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.