Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Does "Zero Dawn" actually mean anything?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Now that the game has been out for a while, maybe someone can tell me what "Zero Dawn" actually means in the game... Is it an important concept to the plot? Or did some marketing guy hear those two words and go "Whoa! Yes!" because he was really high at the time?

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Spoiler:

It's the name of a plot-critical project that caused the entire setting in the first place

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@mayu_zane: So its like the name of the top secret government project that makes robot dinosaurs? I guess that makes sense.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mayu_zane: So its like the name of the top secret government project that makes robot dinosaurs? I guess that makes sense.

It's not, but it is a code name for something important in the game and it makes contextual sense.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

The robotic wildlife (only a handful of the 20+ "species" are actually dinosaur analogues) is just a byproduct of project Zero Dawn, not the purpose of it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ares42

Full story spoiler:

The military was increasingly using robots instead of soldiers to fight wars. The robots (surprisingly...) suddenly glitched out and started ignoring command. The robots were also using biomass to fuel themselves, meaning they would strip the planet bare of any life. As the people in charge realize what's about to happen the concept of "day 0" (like in a countdown) emerged as a descriptor of the day we would no longer exist. The project Zero Dawn was initiated to try to plant a "seed" that would make it possible for life to re-emerge again, as in being a new dawn for life beyond day 0.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Zero (an)D Awn (1) . Binary code was used to make this creation.

I hope they use Quadnary code to make the sequel

Loading Video...

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: You better be careful posting that. Big Binary is watching.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@quantris: They are powerful, but i believe that if we inform the people, we can make forward progress. Good to see that you're part of the resistance Quadtris. No longer shall you be known as Bitris.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Dawn is described and I like the description. Horizon is the only thing that doesn't make sense. I'm guessing it's since it's a new outlook for humanity? Because it's a generic title like "Killzone" that you can turn into a franchise?

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: When you look at the horizon you're typically looking at either dawn or dusk so it's essentially just describing the 'dawn' of a new age. Dawn: Zero Dawn would sound silly but :P

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes, and it's pretty actually good.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@rongalaxy: I need to go find every podcast I listened to that had someone goof on the name because "lol how will they name the sequel? Two Dawn?!?!?" - now that it's out and it's a really good title and has a perfect explanation in game and see what they think now. It looks pretty obvious that going forward the series will just be called "Horizon".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.