Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hobo

Concept »

Vagabonds, tramps, and transients. Unfortunate individuals who live on the streets because they can't afford a proper home.

Hobo Stabber

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

With all this Lincoln Force talk, I think we should bring to light another potentially awesome franchise put forth by Giant Bomb. Hobo Stabber has been mentioned by Jeff on more than one occasion, so let's try to birth it into reality. It may be not be for everone's tastes and wouldn't make as much money as the balls-out explosions of Lincoln Force, but we're looking for a niche audience here.  

CONCEPT: You go around stabbing hobos. 

In this truly revoutionary third-person isometric open-world game, your character rises through the ranks of the somewhat questionable pastime of stabbing hobos, to become the world's leading expert in stabbing hobos. Along the way you can inject whatever sub-plots and recurring characters you might like, but the main thrust of the game's story must remain. 

GAMEPLAY: As mentioned above. 

Bascially, mix Zaxxon's isometric view... 

...with the atmosphere of Manhunt... 

...and the background looming oppressivness of Syndicate... 

...and you've got a recipe for something truly unique.  

STABBING: Assassin's Creed 2 set the benchmark for current generation stabbing. We must harness this technology and improve on it ten-fold. The stab physics should become an extension of your own hands. Ragdoll physics and NPC hitboxes combine to create a fluid stabbing gameplay. We're looking for approximately 100-200 hit points (or 'stab points') on the hobos. 

CHARACTERS:  Hobos and plenty of 'em. 

Remember the hobos at the start of Rockstar's The Warriors? You beat the crap out them cause they wanted booze. That's what we're looking for as a template but we need to rack it up a notch. Give the hobos' eccentric personalities and mind-blowing backstories. Each hobo stabbing mission is a journey into the life of the hobo. And then you stab them.   

EARLY CONCEPT ART OF A SUB-BOSS.
    EARLY CONCEPT ART OF A SUB-BOSS.

DESIRED LENGTH OF GAME: 80-100 hours.  With persistent unlocks of better weapons to stab hobos with, the limits of the levelling-up aspect of the game is limitless.  

POTENTIAL STORY ELEMENTS: 

1) You play as a hobo who turns against his fellow hobos. 

2) Your father was killed by hobos and you are taking revenge against hobos to find the killer/killers. 

3) A hobo holds the key to an ancient artifact that has supernatural properties or something.

Looking at first gameplay showing at E3 2010 for release in Q2 2011 with a long view for an ongoing franchise. 

So, any designers/concept artists/studios want to get on board? 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By animateria

I think Condemned 2 was a good hobo game.

Don't need any better really.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

Trust me, if you Just add some Natal support , you can just sit and wait for the 'Game of the Year' awards to roll in.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By damodar

What about a guy who uses hobos as a weapon to stab people with...

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rayfield
    @jonnyboy said:
    "Trust me, if you Just add some Natal support , you can just sit and wait for the 'Game of the Year' awards to roll in. "

Hire this man!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Damodar said:

" What about a guy who uses hobos as a weapon to stab people with... "

What about a weapon who uses people as a hobo to stab guys with...
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rayfield
    @Damodar said:
    "What about a guy who uses hobos as a weapon to stab people with... "

We'll save that for the weird spin-off game launched between Hobo Stabber 4 and Hobo Stabber 5.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By jonnyboy
    @Rayfield said:
    " @Damodar said:
    "What about a guy who uses hobos as a weapon to stab people with... "
    We'll save that for the weird spin-off game launched between Hobo Stabber 4 and Hobo Stabber 5. "
    Oh so Activision agree to publish it. Cool, but you better read that contract.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By demontium

ugh?

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By emkeighcameron

I am so behind this project it's not even funny. Get 'er done people.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By demontium
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield

SOMEONE GET SHANE BETTENHAUSEN ON THE PHONE. HE LISTENS TO PITCHES FOR WEIRD-ASS GAMES ALL DAY LONG AND I HAVE A FEELING HOBO STABBER WILL BE RIGHT UP HIS ALLEY.
    SOMEONE GET SHANE BETTENHAUSEN ON THE PHONE. HE LISTENS TO PITCHES FOR WEIRD-ASS GAMES ALL DAY LONG AND I HAVE A FEELING HOBO STABBER WILL BE RIGHT UP HIS ALLEY.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rayfield

If there are any SEGA reps reading this thread, keep walking.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By raviolisumo
    @animateria said:
    " I think Condemned 2 was a good hobo game.  Don't need any better really. "
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Guest appearance by Patrick Bateman = necessary.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Radar
    @jakob187 said:
    " Guest appearance by Patrick Bateman = necessary. "
    Goddamnit. 17minutes late to the American Psycho reference :(
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rayfield

I'm currently searching around for contact details for actor Charlie Murphy to play Tyrone Bruta-Latea (Hobo #3).
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By AngeTheDude

Make mine Hobo Stabber!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By beargirl1

what the fuck is this shit? no plans for Hobo Stabber Kart Racing All-Stars? 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rayfield
    @AjayRaz said:

"what the fuck is this shit? no plans for Hobo Stabber Kart Racing All-Stars?  "

I'm happy to direct you to our marketing department for information regarding future projects in the Hobo Stabber franchise.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rayfield

GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT FOR 'VIDEO GAME HOBO'.
    GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT FOR 'VIDEO GAME HOBO'.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Cornman89

Wait a second. If you're out to avenge your father's death-by-hobo by cleansing the world of all hobos, but you yourself are a hobo, wouldn't you ultimately have to... stab yourself?

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Potential plot: The president bets you ten bucks that you couldn't stab all of the hobos in the world.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rayfield
    @Cornman89 said:

"Wait a second. If you're out to avenge your father's death-by-hobo by cleansing the world of all hobos, but you yourself are a hobo, wouldn't you ultimately have to... stab yourself? "

Those three potential story elements are totally separate from each other. One idea is the player is a hobo, while the second idea is to take revenge on hobos for your father's death.  

Let's see. Idea #1 seems suitable for the first game. STORY CONFIRMED. In Hobo Stabber, you play a lowly hobo who has to rise through the ranks of hobos by stabbing other hobos to escape the life of being a hobo. 

If I pay you a undisclosed sum of money, I would like to licence the phrase 'Death By Hobo' from you. That way, greenlighting the sequel, HOBO STABBER 2: DEATH BY HOBO would be made all the more smoother. And story appropriate since it will use the 'take revenge for your father who was killed by hobos' premise.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cornman89
    @Rayfield: Hand over my prized phrase to a man who lacks the vision to understand that "main character suicide" is the best twist ending EVAR?

...Yeah, sure.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rayfield
    @Cornman89 said:
    " @Rayfield: Hand over my prized phrase to a man who lacks the vision to understand that "main character suicide" is the best twist ending EVAR?  ...Yeah, sure. "

I was going to surprise you with that being the fucked-up, didn't-see-that-coming-kinda-like-the-start-of-Metal-Gear-Solid-2-type ending to HOBO STABBER 2: DEATH BY HOBO but I thought you may see that visionary element already. And then start with a new character in HOBO STABBER 3.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Skald

PLOT IDEA: 
    I think you should play as a robot programmed to eradicate hobos and take their stuff. The twist ending is that you're actually a person who thinks they're a robot. Add a bit of Bioshock-esque 'freewill vs. control' overtones near the end, a couple of crazy set-pieces, maybe a sex minigame, and you have the best game ever made. 
    I imagine the box art would be a severed hobo arm or some such, HOBO STABBER in bold helvetica, all capital letters. Instead of coming with an instruction manual, the game mechanics are explained on the side of a fifteen inch serrated blade that comes with all new copies of Hobo Stabber. Also, the limited edition costs ten dollars less and has way more gore than the standard edition.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rayfield

PRELIMARY CHARACTER ART FOR MURRAY 'SCHLUB' FAUNTLEROY (HOBO #2). VOICE ACTOR APPROVAL PENDING.
    PRELIMARY CHARACTER ART FOR MURRAY 'SCHLUB' FAUNTLEROY (HOBO #2). VOICE ACTOR APPROVAL PENDING.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rayfield
    @extremeradical said:

"PLOT IDEA: I think you should play as a robot programmed to eradicate hobos and take their stuff. The twist ending is that you're actually a person who thinks they're a robot. Add a bit of Bioshock-esque 'freewill vs. control' overtones near the end, a couple of crazy set-pieces, maybe a sex minigame, and you have the best game ever made. I imagine the box art would be a severed hobo arm or some such, HOBO STABBER in bold helvetica, all capital letters. Instead of coming with an instruction manual, the game mechanics are explained on the side of a fifteen inch serrated blade that comes with all new copies of Hobo Stabber. Also, the limited edition costs ten dollars less and has way more gore than the standard edition. "

STORY SYNOPSIS FOR HOBO STABBER 3: (SUBTITLE PENDING) CONFIRMED! 

CONFIRMED STORY ELEMENTS FOR THE FAR-REACHING HOBO STABBER FRANCHISE: 

Hobo Stabber - 2011:  As Fred Frobisher, the player is a lowly hobo who has had enough of the hobo lifestyle and decides the only way out is to stab his way out. Fighting against different clans of hobos and hobo leaders (Including Tyrone Bruta-Latea and Murray 'Schlubb' Fauntleroy), Frobisher needs to rank his way up through his fellow hobos to finally escape and make a life for himself. Through stabbing.

Hobo Stabber 2: Death By Hobo (title pending) - 2012:  Our hero, Fred Frobisher, returns in this brutal tale of revenge. Cedric Frobisher, Fred's father, is found viciously murdered in an alley and after a tip-off from the police, Fred learns that the killer may well fit the profile of a hobo. Fred must return to the seedy hobo underworld and uncover a conspiracy of hobos and find the killer. SPOILER: Game ends with the player-assisted stab suicide of Fred Frobisher when he is forced to make a dramatic sacrifice. By stabbing.

Hobo Stabber 3: I, Hobo - 2013: New character, the government licensed droid HOBO-ERADICATOR-9000, is put in place by the oppressive Mayor to finally do away with all hobos in his city. Gradually as the game progesses, the droid realises that he is in fact a real man, brainwashed by the government to stab hobos. He turns against the Mayor and tracks down the man who brainwashed him : Stan Frobisher! Who is alive! When the unnamed brainwashee finds Stan, he prepares to stab him but is stopped by the sudden appearance of Fred Frobisher, our Hero from Hobo Stabber 1 & 2! Back from the dead! He prevents his father's death by telling the brainwashed man - "You won't be stabbing anyone today." And then he stabs him.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.