Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hellgate: London

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 31, 2007

From Flagship Studios, whose founders were involved with the creation of the award-winning Diablo series, comes the similarly loot-driven Hellgate: London, a futuristic third/first person action-RPG set in post-apocalyptic London.

Hellgate London?

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By albaker

What do you guys think of Hellgate London?

Anyone actually bought the game? Can someone tell me if he liked it or not?

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Lepuke

Now that a good portion of the bugs are fixed it really is a pretty good game for the style. Currently its my "I don't want to have to think about almost anything and just play a game, game."
    If your into the hack and slash loot pinata' games like Diablo I would check it out.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By albaker

Cool thanks, I do remember hearing about the game containing bugs but I am pretty sure all if not most bugs have been fixed.

Thanks man

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Moridin

Hellgate London is dead, for the time being. Flagship Studios recently laid off most of their staff and the future of the title is uncertain. Their Korean publisher was trying to buy the intellectual property rights, but I don't know how that turned out. I'm not sure if the multiplayer servers are still running, and if they are I wouldn't expect them to run for much longer. They already shut down the ability to subscribe, so yeah. I guess you could play single-player, but in all honesty - the game wasn't that fun.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RVonE
    Moridin said:
    "Hellgate London is dead, for the time being. Flagship Studios recently laid off most of their staff and the future of the title is uncertain. Their Korean publisher was trying to buy the intellectual property rights, but I don't know how that turned out. I'm not sure if the multiplayer servers are still running, and if they are I wouldn't expect them to run for much longer. They already shut down the ability to subscribe, so yeah. I guess you could play single-player, but in all honesty - the game wasn't that fun.
    "
    Really? I didn't know that. That's pretty serious stuff.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Moridin

Actually, this sparked me to do some research to get the latest, it looks like the servers are still running - though you probably still can't subscribe. Seems like Namco-Bandai may be taking over.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By albaker
    Moridin said:
    "Hellgate London is dead, for the time being. Flagship Studios recently laid off most of their staff and the future of the title is uncertain. Their Korean publisher was trying to buy the intellectual property rights, but I don't know how that turned out. I'm not sure if the multiplayer servers are still running, and if they are I wouldn't expect them to run for much longer. They already shut down the ability to subscribe, so yeah. I guess you could play single-player, but in all honesty - the game wasn't that fun.
    "
    Woah, seriously?
    That game had alot of potential before it was released though.
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By albaker

Wow that sucks, the game had allot of potential before it was released

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Moridin
    RVonE said:
    "Moridin said:
    "
    Really? I didn't know that. That's pretty serious stuff.
    "
    Yeah, kinda sad - I had such high hopes for Hellgate. I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but a lot of the things promised weren't there for release and it took them a long time to get things ironed out. Plus the game was a bit repetitive and bland. Apparently the "core team" at Flagship is still there, and the company isn't fully gone. Like I said, it seems that Namco-Bandai may be taking over. There was a post on the boards promising "news soon." So we'll see.

The real tragedy is that the development of Mythos, a truer spiritual successor to Diablo 2 that was in beta, has been halted. That game was really fun and had a lot of promise too.
    Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lepuke

I never subscribed to the game I just bought it to veg out and play single player.
    If the servers were not operating still that would be odd since the 1.3 patch was just recently released.

Cole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Cole

It was an alright game. I played up to nightmare then quit. It was way too boring for me and the thought of doing all that stuff over again killed. If you decide to play it, it is best to have a couple people you can play with to help you enjoy the experience.

Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corsaer

I bought Hellgate the day before Flagship went to shit. 
    I've always said I have great timing.
    I'm not sure if they servers are actually shut down, but for the life of me, I can't connect to them and I've tried all the fixes, so...
    Should've returned the game.

Sc00basteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Sc00basteve

Hellgate was a decent game that launched with severe bugs. It also failed to meet its potential. I felt it was worth buying it at a reduced rate $25 bones I paid. But would never be a founder or sub for that matter. As long as its free to play I may boot it up on occasion.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By Termite

Does Hellgate have online fees? I've never quite understood what the game actually is

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sarnecki

There is the option of online fees for extra content, but lets face it...  Not worth paying for.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By noremnants
    albaker said:
    "Wow that sucks, the game had allot of potential before it was released
    "
    If they weren't  forced to rush the game out the door to pay the bills it could have been amazing.
    Sc00basteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sc00basteve
    Sarnecki said:
    "There is the option of online fees for extra content, but lets face it...  Not worth paying for.
    "
    yup. Its an MMO/FPS. It has some PVP but I never got into that in this particular game. The game is primarily instanced though and the game feels very compartmentalized. Its best played with a friend or two.
    kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kuddles

Seeing as how Flagship just closed it's doors, it's hard to recommend to people picking the game up.  We've no clue how long the online portion will be available for much longer.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DualReaver

Yeah all of FSS staff was fired. The game itself is bad, but it did have a lot of potential.
    I blame a lot of why it failed on the shitty management. Bill Roper is a fucking retard.
    The monthly subscription thing was ridiculous as well they were throwing money at developing this game for the 360, when they haven't even fixed the PC version of it yet.

Sc00basteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sc00basteve

So all that Flagship drama is true then? I thought it wasn't confirmed or anything... I need to peep the forums I hadn't looked inna while. If I lose my characters I would have no reason to play again and will uninstall It I guess.
     This is the what directly from Flagship's site..

"

San Francisco, CA (July 14, 2008) -- Flagship Studios has announced today that despite rumors to the contrary, the company is still operating.

“It is with deep regret that I must announce that Flagship Studios has laid off most employees. However, the core management and founding team members are still at Flagship.” said Bill Roper, CEO of Flagship Studios. “The past five years have been an incredible experience for us, but unfortunately, we couldn’t sustain the size of the company any longer.”

Flagship Studios owns the rights to all its technology and IP, including Hellgate: London and Mythos. Due to the current situation, Flagship will not be taking any new subscribers for Hellgate: London, and all current subscriptions will not be billed.

Flagship wishes to extend their heartfelt thanks to those that have supported the company and games over the past five years.

About Flagship Studios
    Flagship Studios is a creator of innovative entertainment software, designing games that focused on ease of play, replayability, and fun. The studio was formed in 2003 by former executives and developers from Blizzard North® and represents the creators of the worldwide, best-selling Diablo® franchise. With members that are renowned within the gaming industry, Flagship Studios and its Flagship Seattle division embodies a team that has worked together for over a decade and have numerous #1-selling games and multiple Game of the Year awards to their credit.
    Posted by: Scapes on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 22:22 Talk About This Story!
    Filed under:Press Release"
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By chililili

Hellgate London was a sort of OK game couldn't help me get interested more than like 4 hours I saw some controls and ideas tha twere a little better than diablo, but ultimately it still screwed up on a lot of things that kinda sucks on Diablo II (even though the game is great). Could have been much better and the whole subscription thing just sucked.

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo

Hellgate London was pretty decent for what it was, but only if you didnt pay the fee. With Flagship tanking it will probably just fade into obscurity.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vlademir

It's okay but felt unfinished.

gladestone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gladestone

They shouldve went with guild wars theory...Buy the game play online..Than do expansions with the added content..Guess Bill wanted to try a new thing..It was a good idea..Though the ideas didnt come fast enough..Plus like every one said it had a rough start..It wasnt as bad a game, as some of the users uptop said it was..Though i agree certain times it did get a tad boring..Plus the game didnt have enough london spots in it..I mean its suppose to be london an it had a few areas in the game...Not even the castle..Ah well here is to hoping Bill can do better with another ip..If he gets another shot..

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By epic_pets

It was an average game

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Scorched

I played the demo and had fun
    did not buy it though

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heil68

I thought about buying it as it's already bargain binned at $19.99.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By OGCartman

Played a little bit, not bad but not great either.

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By sculsoldi3r

Lots of hype, bad game after release

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By aegis_and_pred

i've played my fair share and have failed to find that OMG I MUST PLAY MORE aspect of the game.  It's not addictive at all and it shipped with a TON of game killing bugs.

I was there on launch day ... with the collector's edition ... complaining ... like everyone else about how unpolished the game felt when it was released.  Being unable to subscribe for like ... a week because they fucked up the servers and couldn't apply the subscriptions to accounts.

It all really showed just how unprepared Flagship was for the pressures of going out and developing a real title on their own.  They should've stayed at Blizzard IMHO.

gladestone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gladestone

They had great ideas predasus..Cant blame them for trying..It wouldve been great...They just didnt do what blizzard normally does...Wait until its ready..They rushed the damn thing..

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aegis_and_pred

i agree 100% ... it really had a lot of potential

sorry if my post didn't reflect that

but yes ... hellgate london would have rocked face if it hadn't been rushed out the door by Mr. Roper and friends ... which is really kind of a contradiction given the release window for Diablo 2 ...

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DualReaver
    gladestone said:
    "They had great ideas predasus..Cant blame them for trying..It wouldve been great...They just didnt do what blizzard normally does...Wait until its ready..They rushed the damn thing.."
    They had 5 years, the development was just a mess. The game had no direction and Bill Roper is an idiot.
    This game almost insults your intelligence with it's almost non-existent shit story and some of the dumbest dialogue I've ever seen.
    I don't understand why they didn't at least try to make the game gritty as the CGI videos made it look.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bane

I thought it was pretty fun and I didn't play much of the online.  The online I did play was fun too, and had better loot drops than the single player.

It has some great loot and a pretty cool item upgrade system.  The artistic design of the armor is some of the best I've seen, especially for the melee characters..  All of it makes you look like a complete and total badass.

My best character was my level 22 Marksman:

My Marksman, Flintlock
    My Marksman, Flintlock

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Phog_of_War

I have said in a few other posts on the site.

Worst. Game. Ever. 

Save your hard earned money , especially in a world of 4 dollar gasoline.  At least dont spend you money on this.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By unclejohnny79

I brought a copy and its allright. but it hasnt compelled me enough to really play it alot

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Wow that blows about Flagship. They had potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.