Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Deleted scenes explain the game's biggest plot hole (Spoilers!!)

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Huge Spoilers

I can't believe they cut the stuff about Ethan's blackouts. Without those scenes him having blackouts and then waking up holding a piece of origami make absolutely no sense. You can't cut out scenes because you don't want the game to be supernatural if you've already made the supernatural elements integral to the story.

What were they thinking?
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Scapegoat
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

Those blackout scenes would really have helped explain the blackouts  
    I cant help but get the feeling that they should have removed the blackouts altogether when they removed the 'supernatural' element of him being in the nightmares - without the explanation and that little paranormal edge the blackouts just seem like complete red herrings that exist as nothing more than a 'this is designed to make you think ethan could be a killer' mould - definitely one of my least favourite devices in the game - and while i can see why theyd want to keep it rooted in reality (Fahrenheit says hi) surely a little strange explanation is better than none at all?!

Avatar image for optimusprime223
    optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By optimusprime223
    @OmegaPirate said:
    while i can see why theyd want to keep it rooted in reality (Fahrenheit says hi) surely a little strange explanation is better than none at all?! "

Didn't Fahrenheit get a some marks knocked off it by a load of people because of the non reality of some stuff? not that it matters, still a great game and I agree, should have left the blackouts out of it...
    Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Godot
    @optimusprime223: I think it was more the rapid introduction of several paranormal elements (due to the short timeframe they were given to finish the game after the idea that it would be separated into different episodes was canned) more than the presence of non-reality.

Personally, I think the water sequences looked really cool. I agree with everyone else that the blackout sequences should really have been cut along with them though. After all, why wake up on Carnaby Square if the killer wasn't in his mind or whatever? It's a shame they also didn't flesh out Madison more what with her visiting her offices and writing up articles, although I agree that explaining the insomnia was probably not necessary. At times it felt like Ethan was the only important character; perhaps four characters was a bit of an overkill?
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By probablytuna

Oh man, these deleted content looks amazing. I really wouldn't have mind if they kept the supernatural stuff in there cause they look really interesting. However it would be better if those underwater scenes are just there to explain Ethan's slow mental degradation and in turn believing he is the Origami Killer. The kids' faces need not be shown either. 

Also Madison's deleted content should've been kept in the game. Such shame, but nonetheless an amazing game.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ProjektGill

That tsunami scene looked cool thought swimming may have been tricky to pull off with their control scheme (I got the hang of it eventually). I really wish they had a section of Madison in Iraq because that concept art looked amazing. But I guess the explosions and action may have been to far of a deviation for the core feeling of the game. 

Anyways great find on the video. Should send it into Kotaku, could easily be on the front page.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tebbit

What the fuck. When they were looking for scenes to cut, why would they choose ones that are integral to the story!? After looking at the GoW3 scenes they cut SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.  
    It just baffles me. Did the person who wrote the story to either of these games say anything when they took those parts out? Was he drunk!? 

Or she, of course.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlindChessman
    @ProjektGill said:
     Anyways great find on the video. Should send it into Kotaku, could easily be on the front page. " 

I saw it on Reddit's gaming section, where Kotaku seem to get quite a lot of their stories, so I assume it'll crop up there at some point.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @optimusprime223 said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    while i can see why theyd want to keep it rooted in reality (Fahrenheit says hi) surely a little strange explanation is better than none at all?! "
    Didn't Fahrenheit get a some marks knocked off it by a load of people because of the non reality of some stuff? not that it matters, still a great game and I agree, should have left the blackouts out of it... "
    The problem with Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was that the supernatural elements simply became too much.  What starts off as a bizarre, intriguing mystery (Why am I in this bathroom with this dead man?) evolves into, effectively, The Matrix, or perhaps Dragon Ball.  The endgame takes the story from intriguing to ludicrous.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

Am I the only person who didn't think Fahrenheit was ruined by the supernatural/paranormal stuff? When playing Heavy Rain I expected at least some, and for good reason too. I was surprised to find there was virtually none.

I think they should have kept that stuff in since we aren't getting any DLC for it. This kind of game needs as much content as possible.

I've covered wars, ya know.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Th3_James

Heavy Rain was one of the best games I have ever played. I was so drawn in by everything, and I finished it in a 3 days. I than told a friend that he should play it, and I gave him my copy to play. He ended up watching his girlfriend play the game and they both thought it was awesome. I gave the game to another friend to try, but he has had it for quite some time and didn't play much of it. I want to replay it now. I almost forgot how amazing it was.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @MrKlorox: I liked the paranormal stuff in Indigo Prophecy, but when Lucas died and came back to life and had a Matrix fight with the trenchcoat guy and then the Internet became sentient and tried to freeze the world - yeah, you can see how that game fell apart in its narrative. 

Heavy Rain would have benefited from the cut content, though. Shelby being the killer did not make any fucking sense in the current version, and Ethan's blackouts were dropped and forgotten. They should've kept it all, in my opinion.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By themangalist

Hey guys are too serious on internet.

This is awesome. Great video bud!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I heard the infamous stripping scene was originally going to feature Shelby instead of Madison.

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By mrcellophane
    @Godot said:
    At times it felt like Ethan was the only important character; perhaps four characters was a bit of an overkill? "
    It might have been. I also feel that Madison served no real purpose in the game other than "generic accidental love interest". But one shouldn't underestimate the power of Norman Jayden - he was by far my favorite character in the game, and making the player control both the hunter and the hunted (as seen in Fahrenheit and movies like The Fugitive) is a really interesting thing.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So is there a deleted scene that explains why the voice acting is so bad? Like, they were all in a bizzaro version of the US that was actually in France?

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Xakura
    @SuperfluousMoniker:
    You are trolling a bit, but damn it, you made me laugh.
    Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godot
    @MrCellophane:  Oh, no doubt about that. When I accidentally got Jayden killed in a scrapyard I reloaded that save andgoddamnit made sure he lived. I'd be damned if I was going to let the most interesting character die. Give me a Norman Jayden spin-off game, Quantic Dream!
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ramone
    @bartok: I can't believe they took that out!
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Xakura:  Sorry. But yeah, I wasn't a fan of this game at all. Between the slow paced story riddled with plot holes (in a game that's supposed to be all about the story), terribly stiff animation (in a game with purportedly great graphics), and that unnatural voice acting, it was just a mess. I still don't understand why people liked it...
    Gam3rKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gam3rKitten

I know this is off topic, but Battlefield: Bad Company is beating Heavy Rain and this is just wrong 
    http://g4tv.com/videogamedeathmatch/battle/5/ make sure to vote for heavy rain.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benjaebe

This was an awesome video that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I loved Heavy Rain, but I definitely wish they had kept the scenes with Madison - compared to the rest of the characters, she felt really weakly characterized and could've used some more scenes. David Cage does some great work though...I can't help but feel they should have included Ethan's nightmares, regardless of the paranormal aspects. Without it, we're left with some unexplained event that really has nothing to do with the story other than to distract you from who the real killer is.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrikeALight

Hard to believe this was only released only 8-9 months ago. 

It feels much longer than that.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TJ311

i wouldn't have mind if the game was a little longer for the reason of story telling because thats wat this game is all about. its got so much to tell already with the branching story that even long chapters would have been fine.

arcade78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By arcade78

Thanks for posting! 
    Just finished the game and the first thought was 'wow' followed by 'but what was with the blackouts....' 
     But im glad they didnt introduce that 'paranormal' aspect, i think that would of really ruined the experienced, not the flooded house part, the part where ethan and scott share a mind, i just think thats not realistic at all... 
    Its good that they shed some light on madison...But how is anyone, ever going to guess she was a war correspondent?? xD 

Interesting video though! Thanks again.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By donutfever

I think it's for the best that they left that out.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Kierkegaard

Thanks for the post! That was enlightening. 

I still love Heavy Rain despite its faults. It felt like a game that was truly treating me as an adult and trying to push and pull me in subtle yet valuable ways. 

But those blackouts were always a mystery. I figured Shelby was just drugging Ethan and confusing him, an explanation that would work and could just as easily be fit in at the end reveal. I kinda like that the game as is forced us to not know the reason, but without any hint of an explanation not knowing is just frustrating. 

Cutting the second slow bit with Shawn was also unfortunate. Fuck people would have had called the game too slow. This relation to the kid is vital, so beef it up as much as possible. Heavy Rain was at its strongest when it was slow and methodical and caring.

Cuts like Madison's apartment redecoration and Shelby killing his mom are good, though. 

Ultimately, Heavy Rain was a flawed masterpiece that I hope will be followed up with even greater attempts.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By popmasterruler

WTF?!Those were some lame excuses for the cuts.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Aetheldod

I could live without the supernatural elements and the blackouts , but Madison was a complete misstep from their part , as in the end they just made her to be the "naked lady that the protagonist bangs" , also Shelby went from cool headed guy to pyscho without sufficient elements ,  made me hate the story which is the main focus of this game

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
    @DonutFever said:

" I think it's for the best that they left that out. "

Seriously. 

How is contrived super natural bullshit better then plotholes? a good narrative wouldn't force you to choose between the 2. Physics links have no place in the type of universe David Cage tried(and failed miserably) to create. 

@Aetheldod said:

" I could live without the supernatural elements and the blackouts , but Madison was a complete misstep from their part , as in the end they just made her to be the "naked lady that the protagonist bangs"

I dunno, even with these additions Madison would still feel like a depository for mr.Cage's weird fetishes.
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Trebz

Watching this video reminds me of how stupid Heavy Rain's narrative was. Having some explanations for the two biggest red-herrings in the plot (Madison's insomnia and Ethan's blackouts) would have definitely heightened my opinion of the game. Having to suspend my disbelief is preferable to being insulted. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.