Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Graphic Updates In Season 7 Is The Pièce de Résistance For An Original CE Experience

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xanadu

Hey everyone, wanted to do a quick write up because it doesn't seem like anyone is really talking about this. With the latest patch on steam for MCC Season 7, a lot of original Xbox assets have returned to C.E. Meaning a lot of things people complained about due to Gearabox's PC port being the base for CE anniversary edition as far back as the 360 release are fixed. But for some reason, no one is really talking about this. I did just skim through the steam update notes but I'm pretty sure there is no mention of the graphic changes. Other then having a keen eye, seems like the only source of info for this was in a letter sent to Halo Insiders (the beta program for mcc where you can get exclusive beta builds) detailing the graphic changes that could be seen in the latest insider builds. If you want to see the changes in motion and with comparisons, there appears to be a good YouTube video from all the way back in May showcasing this insider build:

And It appears as of the latest patch, these fixes are now in the main version of MCC. I started up a new game of CE last night and I could easily see the change, with Keyes in particular, right away. Additionally, I noticed some other updates and tweaks (mainly towards frame rate and animations) that have also been implemented since MCC's initial PC release. When Master Chief Collection initially hit PC's with just the campaign and multiplayer for Halo: Reach, it was in dour shape to say the least. When Combat Evolved arrived after that, it was definitely a much smoother release than Reach but it wasn't perfect. Technically, the game let you run at higher refresh rates than 60hz but a lot of key animations like reloading were locked at 30fps for some reason. These issues also appear to be fixed as well and it feels so good to play CE at a locked in 144hz with mouse and keyboard. It's a pretty unique experience since I'm so used to playing Halo as a console shooter. What surprised me the most though is that I now prefer the originals over the anniversaries graphics.

Master Chief is Back Baby!
    Master Chief is Back Baby!

Look at that dude and those square ass corners. Hell yeah. Obviously the anniversary graphics looked, and still look quite good, but the work 343 has done really makes the original experience shine again. Before, I couldn't see a reason to play through CE without the anniversary graphics. Something about the original setting with gearbox's port just felt hallow, like riding on Space Mountain with the lights turned on. But now in comparison to the updated original graphics, the anniversary mode is almost too much.

When anniversary graphics add to the lore it's great but it's mostly just a lot of new grates and vents on the wallsT
    When anniversary graphics add to the lore it's great but it's mostly just a lot of new grates and vents on the wallsT

That's not to say anniversary graphics didn't add anything to the game. They took the time to add some cool nods to the lore like this status screen for John and Linda who appears to be 'unavailable' But it seems like most of the work went into changing entire backgrounds to have more visual esthetics. The choice of which is better is up to you but the changes aren't so much like a traditional remaster but more of a reimagining. The newest update to MCC allows for a more traditional remaster featuring many elements from the original Xbox release presented in today's resolutions and high refresh rates. Also, one other thing I never knew is the cut scenes will use original models if you never tab back to the anniversary graphics. It's pretty cool to see the MCC in a state like this. It's obviously had a pretty troubled dev cycle (for xbox and pc) but it seems like they have really put in the work for both multi and single player over the years. And the world is better for it. After all: This Is Halo, right?

No Caption Provided

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm glad it's finally it's finally gotten there, but funnily enough this wasn't a big issue for me since the Gearbox PC port was the way I played Halo 1 back in the day, so it was accurate to my own personal nostalgia.

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Digital Foundry did a pretty good video with another YouTube channel to cover all of the improvements they made to the OG Halo in MCC:

Halo Combat Evolved - Is Classic Mode Fixed In Master Chief Collection Season 7?

Was really impressed to see them take the time to do this. Halo 1 did always look weird in the anniversary edition but I could never put my finger on why. Now that you can see all of the improvements, it's pretty clear the original game was actually really great looking and holds up well when all of the graphical effects are present.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.