Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

I have yet to play Half-Life. So should I?

VSigma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By VSigma100

I've been questioning whether to play Half-Life for a while now. I've just recently been, getting into FPS games, and have heard that this is an okay game to play. So I was wondering about everyone else's opinion on the topic, on whether I should play it or not? I've expressed interest, in the series before, but I'm still trying to figure out if I should try it out or not.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

Fuck yes.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Yes. I'm not sure how well it has aged, but you still should play it. I think it is required almost. Like, if you are talking about FPS' and say you have never played a HL game then people will no longer care to hear what you have to say about the genre. It is like saying you love JRPG's but never played FFVII. It doesn't matter if you liked the game or not, you still need to have played it.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By myke_tuna

I think you should. Even if you don't like it, you'll at least know about the series some more. I still think it's a fun game to play (a little outdated in spots, but hey it was 98).

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The original Half-Life? You might find it a little dated but I think it's worth at least trying out.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jayjonesjunior

DO IT!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jasta

@VSigma100:

Alot of people who never played the game when it was released don't like it at all, mostly because they have already played Half-Life 2 and can't get past some of the flaws in the original. 

I'm gonna say hell yeah you should play it, but when you start to get frustrated just remember this game is 12 years old and it shows.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FengShuiGod

Yeah, you should play it. I think it holds up pretty well in terms of game play. Graphics are obviously old, but mostly the rest is at least ok by today's standards.

VSigma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VSigma100

O.O Wow. I wasn't expecting this many replies that quick. LOL But from what other people are saying, I'll definitely try it out sometime soon. I'm hoping to like it, so Valve better have done good with the game.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

I didn't play it until like 2005, and I loved it. It is very dated, but its worlds more playable than Quake or something.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon

It's story telling, while somewhat disjointed at times, is still very unique. That's one of the reasons why, even today, it's still a game worth returning too. 

Looking back at that sentence I realize that I sound like a goddamn paper-cut-out game reviewer sometimes. 
    Fuck.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Zippedbinders

I think its worth making a conscious effort to play all of Valve's games.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rockanomics
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Clinkz

Wow, God no  do not play it. I played it all the way through a year and a half ago and it was the most dreadfully boring game I can remember in recent memory.

I'm not bashing its influence, but god that game has aged.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By npeterson08

If you're unsure, I'd probably pick up the Orange Box. If Half-Life 2 gets you interested enough, I'd pick up the original Half-Life; plus you can mess around with Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Lokno

I played through the entire Half Life series early 2008. I had been sitting on a copy of Half Life for years, but when the Orange Box came out, I was finally interested in playing the series (since I at once had the whole run on Steam). It's never too late to jump in, I say. I even played the gearbox expansions! The original game is artifact of a time before the age where fulling-scripted experiences were the norm. It's a little hokey, but that's what makes it so impressive to work your way through the series and see it evolve. I'd suggest playing on easy, though. What's the point of wasting time trying to be all pro.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Try it out and see what you think, it can't hurt.

First time I played it was about 3 years ago, and I thought it felt really dated. Especially compared to other similar FPS games at the time like System Shock 2, or Deus Ex, which I feel have aged a lot better.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Slaker117

I don't think it holds up especially well. If you played it when it was new, I can understand still liking it, but for someone going in fresh, maybe not. Don't mean to knock it's importance, but that game is old. To play it now, I think you'd have to go in almost clinically, wanting to see what it did for it's time, and not expecting some great experience.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Getz

A resounding yes! The graphics and sound show their age, as anything 13 years old would, but the gameplay is still a shining example of great design. Except the last few levels...

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rattle618

I've not played it either, I was waiting to see if the community HD version of it ever comes out (Black Mesa or whatever it's called), but I'll probably check it out in a while if that doesn't happen soon.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Enigma777

Nah. It doesn't really hold up that well.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Naw. 
    gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By gormanator

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh probably not

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @IBurningStar said:

" Yes. I'm not sure how well it has aged, but you still should play it. I think it is required almost. Like, if you are talking about FPS' and say you have never played a HL game then people will no longer care to hear what you have to say about the genre. It is like saying you love JRPG's but never played FFVII. It doesn't matter if you liked the game or not, you still need to have played it. "

I've only played a bit of HL and none of FFVII. 

And I call myself a gamer! For shame!  =P
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @august said:
    " Fuck yes. "
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By project343

Played it for the first time maybe a year ago. I did not have fun--and I adore Half-Life 2. Ended up just turning on console and playing it for the story--which is better recapped on a Wiki page somewhere.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, Half-Life 2 is pretty bad. You drive around a fanboat... It ain't all that.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By SBYM

As long as you go into it realizing that you're not going to get the full impact of how influential it's been, then your expectations should be at a realistic enough level that you'll enjoy it. You likely won't be blown away, though. A lot of games have taken things that were introduced or popularized by Half-Life and improved/built on them, so there's a good chance you'll feel like it's just a run of the mill FPS.

Granted, this could be applied to pretty much any classic game. Still, don't let decade old hype build up in your mind and it should be a fun couple of hours; at least until the part where the game goes to shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. Though if you're patient, you may just want to wait for Black Mesa. 

I'm not even sure why this is a question. You've got nothing to lose, and the worst case scenario is that even if you don't like it, you've experienced a highly influential and historic piece of gaming history.  

Just go at it with the right mindset. 

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nadril

Do it! 

Having played when it came out I don't feel like it has aged that bad. The story is told in a way that isn't very apparent either, I've gone through the game several times now and have picked up interesting bits of story. 

I do agree with SBYM though, considering that Half-Life really did change a lot of FPS games it may feel "old" in some spots. I still think the pacing is spot on though with the exception of a few parts. I'm a half life fanboy though, it's my favorite game. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By jorbear

The first game is still a ton of fun, even with dated graphics and near archaic gameplay concepts. The original Half-Life proves that Valve is able to make games that are fun when they come out, and years after their release.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JazGalaxy

I'm not a big half life fan, really, after having loved them when they were new. 

What you have to understand about HL is that the whole series is built upon the "It's an FPS but if an FPS was a movie!" concept.  

THis is frequently boring. 

If you're used to shooting badguys and navigating levels, Half LIfe is frequently just watching people talk and hitting things with your crowbar.  It doesn't help that the games main feature is the gravity gun which, while a neat idea, isn't a fun weapon to play with.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KittenMitten
    @Getz said:
    " A resounding yes! The graphics and sound show their age, as anything 13 years old would, but the gameplay is still a shining example of great design. Except the last few levels... "
    Agreed. It doesn't look great, but NOT terrible for a game as old as it is. I actually think that while the sound quality is not especially fantastic, the sound design is quite excellent/interesting as per usual with Valve games. 

The gameplay is absolutely still fun, unless you can't live without ironsights and snap-targeting. The weapons are fun to use and the enemies are varied. 

Definitely worth playing, if only to experience the excellent design that is Black Mesa.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aetheldod

Hell yeah you should ... I agree about the graphics they are indeed dated but the gameplay is still as solid as it ever was  (or maybe my affinity to it) :P Have in mind that I am the type of dude that can still put a NES game and have fun with it

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By WickedCestus

I tried to play it for the first time last year, and I couldn't get through it. It hassn't aged particularly well, but your enjoyment may vary,
    SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

YES! Get Half-Life: Source. Its Half-Life but with updated graphics. Then Play Half-Life 2 and the episodes.. I have yet to play the episodes, but I remember beating HL2 on the original xbox and thought it was fucking amazing!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gabriel

People seem to have forgotten the On a rail sections and Zen. I'd play it if you haven't but be ready for some frustration and tedium. 

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nadril
    @JazGalaxy said:
    " I'm not a big half life fan, really, after having loved them when they were new.  What you have to understand about HL is that the whole series is built upon the "It's an FPS but if an FPS was a movie!" concept.   THis is frequently boring.  If you're used to shooting badguys and navigating levels, Half LIfe is frequently just watching people talk and hitting things with your crowbar.  It doesn't help that the games main feature is the gravity gun which, while a neat idea, isn't a fun weapon to play with. "
    A. He's talking about Half-life (1), not the second. The first didn't have a gravity gun.  

B. You're so far off on the first remark. Half life is nothing like a "movie", I think its about as far as you could get away from it. If you can't stand not having to shoot something for 10 minutes though I guess it's not a game you should play, the series is known for pacing like that and personally I find it great. Too many games are just draining because its just shooting after more shooting after more shooting, no thought involved at all with pacing.  

@Gabriel said:
    " People seem to have forgotten the On a rail sections and Zen. I'd play it if you haven't but be ready for some frustration and tedium.  "
    I remember that. Zen I didn't find terrible, the on the rails section(s) though were probably the weakest point of the game. Still I think the rest of it makes up for those sections but yeah, they can be frustrating. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.