Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

I'm worried about the future of Guitar Hero

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By calidan777

I've been a GH fan for a while now, but after buying GH5 I'm feeling kinda let down.My very first music game was actually RockBand, but after buying GHIII and a GHWT guitar I've been strictly GH.The problem is that I think that GHIII has the best soundtrack of ANY music game (even the DLC is amazing) and Metallica is a close second.But I wasn't really impressed by GHWT and Smash Hits was good, but that's because most of the songs on the disc came from GHIII.Now,GH5 seems to be going even further into RockBand territory with it's weak ass setlist.I liked several of the songs in the game, but several just isn't good enough.Also,I did the much hyped "song import" feature and first it did some of my DLC and then when I did the GHWT "import" I couldn't find hardly any songs that I even recognized as being from GHWT.I'm just not feeling real good about the future of GH at this point,is anyone else feeling this way?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Worried like your face.

Wait...

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

its shit, don't worry. just move on

rockband is far superior

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By yetiantics

Guitar Hero 5 is fun, but not the best. I wish the features GH5 had wouldve been implemented 2 (non spin-off) games ago tho. The setlist isnt that strong either. 
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By jonnyboy

Attention GH/RB Fanboys! Both games use master tracks now. Both games have you matching colours. You are arguing over which music game operating system is best. You are a marketing man's wet dream. Don't be a dick, play both, if you can't afford that pick the songs you like, if you don't like music or have no eyes/ears/fingers let other people play what they want, and leave them the fuck alone.

Message ends.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By calidan777
    @PantyshotMQN said:
    " Guitar Hero 5 is fun, but not the best. I wish the features GH5 had wouldve been implemented 2 (non spin-off) games ago tho. The setlist isnt that strong either.  "
    I agree, the features in GH5 are great it's just the setlist that I don't like.Well I'm not too fond of the new graphics either, but that might just be me.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Novyx
    @jonnyboy:
    Harmonix made GH and RB both. Neversoft and Activision drove GH into the ground. That's the argument.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By calidan777
    @jonnyboy said:
    " Attention GH/RB Fanboys! Both games use master tracks now. Both games have you matching colours. You are arguing over which music game operating system is best. You are a marketing man's wet dream. Don't be a dick, play both, if you can't afford that pick the songs you like, if you don't like music or have no eyes/ears/fingers let other people play what they want, and leave them the fuck alone.  Message ends. "
    Wtf are you talking about?No one is arguing about which is game is better.I actually own both RB games and ALL the GH games w/instruments for both.Next time don't be a dousche and read the fucking OP before you say some stupid shit.

Message ends.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jonnyboy
    @calidan777: Hey I read it, and I play the shit out of those games too. But lets face it, that's where this thread is gonna go.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By emkeighcameron

I'm still holding out for GH: Twisted Sister before I commit to anything.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jonnyboy
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " I'm still holding out for GH: Twisted Sister before I commit to anything. "
    Hell yeah, throw some Scorpions, Styx and Poison on that disc and I'm in!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like Guitar Hero's instruments better.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller

"Kurt Cobain bastardized," should be the name of this game.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By vaiz

The answer here is obvious: Play Frets on Fire.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By calidan777
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " I like Guitar Hero's instruments better. "
    Agreed.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, I just got my copy of Guitar Hero 5 today, and I must say that while I am enjoying the game, the soundtrack so far has been disappointing. Some of the songs I was looking forward to don't translate too well to the gameplay. Like Sympathy for the Devil is kind of boring to play on guitar. Personally I'm really concerned about the soundtrack issues as well. I'd like to see a way for them to bring last gen's Guitar Hero songs to today's Guitar Hero games. And dude, please, for cheap. $60 for Guitar Hero: Smash Hits is pretty janky. I can understand it's a lot of work to bring in these songs and update them, but for $60, I feel like I should be getting every GH song from every old game, not just certain ones. Maybe they could offer them as DLC, but that would get costly. Really, I'd just love to play some more Black Magic Woman. I freaking love that song. There were plenty of other great ones too, though, that I would love to replay with a full band.

Also, including Bob Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower is a slap in the face. I think Hendrix's cover All Along the Watchtower has probably been the most requested song to be included ever since Guitar Hero got big. It's like the ultimate guitar song. Instead, we get this easy to play and ear-pitching-harmonica-heavy original? Not cool, Activision. I think World Tour looks like it had a better soundtrack than RB2, but that's just from looking on paper, as I've never played World Tour. Still, unless they find a solution fast, this problem may get much worse. So many of the classic guitar songs have been done already, and dude... all but like 2 songs from the first two Guitar Hero games were covers. I wouldn't mind if they brought them back with the real versions of the songs. I don't think it would be cheap or lazy to include them in a new game's soundtrack.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By asurastrike

GH seems to be going the way of DDR.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @calidan777 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " I like Guitar Hero's instruments better. "
    Agreed. "
    I agree with you two as well.  The Rock Band guitar sucks monkey fuck.
    monkmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By monkmaster

Given the setlist for GH5, I think I can safely say I'm done music/rhythm games by the time GH6 hits.

zkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By zkilla

Too many godamn gh spin off games thay shoul just take a year off and focus on a main one
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Khann said:
    " Worried like your face.  Wait... "
    Seriously? That's the best you can come up with?
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By damswedon

world tour and 5 have both lost what it means to be Guitar Hero.
    Rock Band can have a range of music styles and allot more pop songs because it's about the band experience (also the DLC helps) but it doesn't sell it's self on on the premise of being a Guitar Hero.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By sjschmidt93

GH2 for life. 

I still can't believe people are buying these games on a consistent basis. It's ridiculous.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akeldama

i cant wait for this music game fad to die out. 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Rowr

Dont worry about Blank, let me worry about Blank. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I was getting very worried about Guitar Hero franchise a while ago. The general consensus is that the quality took a pretty serious drop when ownership was handed from Harmonix to Activision and then when I saw the spin-off games they were coming out with like Guitar Hero: Metallica and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith I started to think the series might be going under. Currently I am a much bigger Rock Band player than Guitar Hero player but with the kind of reviews Guitar Hero 5 has been getting lately I'm surprised Guitar Hero is doing as well as it is. If they announced a Guitar Hero 6 (which they most likely will) I'll be somewhat sceptical but judging by what they're currently putting out Activision are doing pretty good for themselves.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CowMuffins

You know a game sucks, when you get another game with it free.

BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BranDong

The setlist is fucking garbage.. weak ass mother fucking bull shit.  I'm very dissapointed in this GH5.. with the exception of Sweating Bullets, Looks that Kill.... the rest of the tracks are pretty shitty.  If guitar hero continues down this road they are asking for trouble.  I will agree GH3 has the best setlist of all of these games.  GH2 is a close second or maybe tied with 3 IMO.  Also EVERY guitar hero game should have a HARD ass song equivalent at the very least to JORDAN ... and at the most or beyond Devil Went Down To Georgia and TTFATF

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deusdigit

@monkmaster:
    What if guitar hero 6 steps into the realm of Real guitars? i always wondered that. harmonix is working on rockband 3 right now. You never know, it could be the next step in actually using instruments. Playing a real guitar or getting trained from the game. Then all of the arguments could stop, and we could all live in rhythm gaming nirvana....

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deusdigit
    @CowMuffins: 

Not always, buying the orange box felt like a real value. but thats just my opinion.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By spacetrucking

The GB staff has been saying this for a while now that the rhythm game genre has hit a plateau in terms of what you can do with them. The only thing that keeps you coming back for more are the songs and maybe slick presentation (Beatles for example). I just hope they stop making me buy a new retail box every year for just new songs. 

However, Rockband network sounds like a good way to go forward where anyone can publish their songs on RBN. It could be a major coup for all those underground musicians who make some awesome stuff but never get the backing to do a proper bigscale album. I won't be surprised if some of their songs fit a Rockband game format better than some of the more classic rock songs out there. Besides there aren't that many of those left anyway, between RB and GH they have covered nearly every iconic guitar riff.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I, like yourself, thought GH3 was one of the best music games ever. The only entry in the franchise that I've truly hated is World Tour, the way they force you to play all of the shitty songs, the muddy graphical textures, the flimsy online, the list goes on and on with that game. I think GH5 is Neversoft's attempt at bringing back fans that were initially dissastisfied with GHWT, and the Van Halen offer only further supports this theory. I thought this game was going to be absolute shit, but I was wrong, it's great. The only problem I've had with it is the matchmaking, esecially band vs band mode. I've searched for a match for around three hours total (on and off searching) and have yet to be put into a match. Other than that it's a collossal improvement over World Tour. I hope they learned with WT that they need to put out DLC consistently, and put some more widely known bands in.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By djstyles92

guitar hero 1 and 2 were amazing...but then harmonix left and activison took over, and they have ruined the series. Fucking activision

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TimeWaffle

i was really big into GH when 2 and 3 were out but i stopped caring once GHWT came out   and it's seems like it's been all done hill from there

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By clubsandwich

Rock Band is the best option for rythm games, everything is nicely integrated, and there's a ton of epiic great songs, guitar hero became fail after guitar hero 3.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

Notes come flying at you and you hit colored buttons. They're the same game. Play whichever game has more songs that you like.

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mandeponium

I miss the magic of Guitar Hero 2 and the intense difficulty of Guitar Hero 3. 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @SJSchmidt93:  Dude still the best game in the series. Never have a problem playing any song in that game. That changed when GH3 came out and well...it just wasn't the same anymore. Damn you activision!
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By empfeix

You guys are right, the new guitar hero games are not the same as the old ones, they have different track lists.  I am glad we have figured this out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.