Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 6

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

The sixth entry in PlayStation's flagship racing series, Gran Turismo 6 hopes to bring a better, richer driving experience, including 1200 cars and new features like improved car personalization.

Unplayable out of the Gate

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Project Cars wasn't doing it for me, and Driveclub was a joke, so seeing how GT6 has been dramatically reduced in price on PSN, I grabbed it and spent yesterday at work looking forward to coming home and checking it out.

Ho boy... It seems as though their updating the game post release has been their undoing, as once I downloaded the (about five million) update files and launched the game, it started giving me update errors. Attempting to cancel the update just to play the un-updated game doesn't work, as cancelling the update simply relaunches the game and prompts you to update yet again.

So I did the only thing I could do, and took to the internet. It turns out if you let GT6 go for too long without installing current updates (or if you're a sad sack like myself, who is a fresh user), the extractor the game uses to install those updates once you actually launch the game flips out for whatever dumb reason and cannot finish the process, leaving the game unplayable.

There is a laborious process entailed on the PS forums which requires you to delete your save data (which, since I have none, required me instead to redownload the game in its entirety, which along with the installation which follows is taking an obnoxious amount of time), and then let the game download the updates, but only the first few. Then, you unplug your console from the internet, install the updates, plug it back in to download a few more, repeat repeat repeat, until the process is finished.

I'm sitting here considering the amount of money I spent on the game (admittedly, a smaller sum of just $15), and whether I even want to jump through all of the hoops to play it. I hate wasting money, but I feel like the game not updating properly and becoming unplayable is not my problem to fix as the consumer.

Am I the only one on the brim of outrage that they are able to sell a game in this condition?

I just wanted to go fast...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That fucking sucks.

Is it worth it? Well, that depends on 2 things - 1) How much do you want to race and 2) Do you have access to a Forza game?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

I'm having flashbacks to the nightmare that was GT5 on launch day and the hours upon hours of updating and installing that had to be done. This situation sounds far worse than that.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By maginnovision

I think updates were the biggest problems for me personally for both 5 and 6. Forza 5 is pretty good if you have an xbox one, although it has the typical forza thing of every car oversteers too much. Otherwise, do what you need to to get it to work. It's a pretty good game, I think it'd be worth the time to get it going.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spitznock

@believer258: Unfortunately, the only Forza game I still own is the original Horizon. Not that Horizon is bad, I'm just not into open world racing games.

@maginnovision: Yeah, luckily I don't have much else to do tonight, so I'll stick it out until I'm bald from pulling my hair from my head in frustration. I hope it's worth it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. That's terrible. I would have gave up a long time ago.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By egg

If you did nothing wrong and the game does not run, then for all intents and purposes GT6 should be treated as a game that does not run. Hacking or cheating to get it to run is basically an attempt to pretend the game did run when it was supposed to. The game is listed on PSN and sold to everybody. You did right by trying to update it the normal way and doing anything else would be incorrect.

For the record I don't check guides or walkthroughs. (edit: I used to do it, just not anymore) Using a guide in order to get a game to run is still technically the same as using a guide in order to get past or get to any other part.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a (easily) 10+ hour process of redownloading, installing, and then baby-sitting the update process, I am now capable of playing Gran Turismo 6, and it seems pretty great.
    What a sour first impression though...

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad you got it running, but that's really crappy. Maybe I should see if I need to do all this. It is a pretty great game, I still prefer GT6 to Forza 5, but I'll buy forza 6 too because it's likely to be pretty good.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At least GT6 didnt melt your ps3 like GT5 did to mine.. Sony fixed it but my ps3 would literally move as if everything was in x100 slow mo.. It was like using an old pentium 4 to play witcher 3 on ultra... Terrible.. Then I got it back and the game was awesome.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: I'm enjoying GT6, but I do miss Forza. 3 was my favorite of the bunch (minus 5, which I have not played). Being able to make/purchase paintjobs is something GT7 needs, imo.

@mcshank: It hasn't melted mine "yet" anyway.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TyCobb

Extremely glad you got yours working. My fingers are crossed that my install goes smoothly. Though I did not download the game, I have been looking at their in-game install screen for the past hour and half. It went from 240,340, 480, 1100, 1200, 400, 340 approximate minutes for the first 10 minutes of the install before randomly dropping to 8. For the past hour it has said "Approx 5 mins left" with only 15% of the bar filled in.

I keep reading and hope that doing the updates first (which took half of today's NASCAR race in length) doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

I am dumbfounded at how bad this. Would much rather play Forza as I loved that series, but had a wild idea to set the PS3 up in my cockpit and try it with the G27. Hopefully GT6 doesn't ruin my fond memories for this series back on the PSX and PS2....

Update: 40 minutes later and the bar is now at 40% complete with still 5 minutes left... I really wish I knew what the hell this thing was doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.