Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

You can now link your steam and GOG.com libraries

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

As the title says you can now link your Gog.com and steam accounts via https://www.gog.com/connect

Doing so will allow you to add certain steam games to your gog.com library at no extra cost!

I think this is pretty cool and would like to see more games get added to the list in the future

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Thanks for the heads up! GOG servers seems to be struggling with it right now though.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is really good news. I'm starting to buy my PC games on GOG if they are available on both GOG and Steam, so it is nice to have more games on that platform.

I haven't gotten this connect thing to work yet though. I have my Steam account linked to my GOG, but every time I try to link games, it says I don't have any eligible games, even though I have at least The Witness and FTL; and probably more.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Go ahead and add DRM to your GOG games...

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Unsurprisingly it's a little broken right now, but it's a great idea. I don't think it's going to lure me away from Steam anytime soon, but GOG just keeps getting better and better.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great. I've been moving away from Steam, and this will really help ease my transition to GoG.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

@szlifier said:

Go ahead and add DRM to your GOG games...

it's the opposite, you'll get GOG copies of games you own on Steam, not the other way around.

Either way, I already own most of my games on both platforms, and the four games that would've been eligible can't be imported for some reason (Xenonauts, Bit.Trip Runner, Braid and Sherlock Holmes: The Secret of the Silver Earring). I hope it's just a temporary issue due to the traffic.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: I had the same problem an hour ago, but just tried again and everything went fine.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great, thanks for the heads up!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#10 riostarwind  Moderator

Awesome, more ways to get DRM free games is okay in my book. Not sure what magic the Gog team did to convince publishers that this was a good idea but I'm all for it.

BigDaveisCheap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Well ok then.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

@fisk0: It's a temporary issue, it took me quite a few tries before it let me add qualifying games to my GOG account.

It's a curious thing, why they did this. According to GOG the available games are a temporary thing that will get switched out with other games so it seems to be half good PR and half enticement to keep visiting GOG. I'm wondering what the participating publishers get out of it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

@fisk0: It's a temporary issue, it took me quite a few tries before it let me add qualifying games to my GOG account.

It's a curious thing, why they did this. According to GOG the available games are a temporary thing that will get switched out with other games so it seems to be half good PR and half enticement to keep visiting GOG. I'm wondering what the participating publishers get out of it.

Yeah, just got it to work. As for why they're doing it, they've had a similar system allowing you to redeem physical copies of some games for about a year now, and they've let you redeem copies of all The Witcher titles bought elsewhere on GOG since 2014, I believe? Hooking directly into the Steam API probably lowers the risk of someone using this to get a second copy to sell or give away, since the GOG and Steam accounts are permanently linked and unlike their previous method, the keys are never visible to the user, they're transferred directly from the Steam account to GOG.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Can't get it to work for me as well

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also got the "this may take up to several days" message. I'd try to retry, but there's nothing to retry, just that message.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@bigdaveischeap: If the page succeeded in finding games that you owned, you clicked "add to account" or whatever and get that message then you should try again later. The adding found games process is instant when it works.

If you get the message while trying to search for games the account then I don't know.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: I get the same message. We're probably in a queue.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man this is amazing.

Usually the gog versions are preferable but steam has more frequent sales

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried the page just now and got in - 10 games added. I don't think I'd ever actually play them again but it's nice to have anyway.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is really smart. Hopefully they get good traction with publishers.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh wow, this is great

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That. Is. Terrific. Considering I was just about to buy Torchlight 2 on GOG while owning it on Steam, I hope it's a crossover. Actually, a lot of the games available on both GOG and Steam I've already cross-purchased.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has never used gog before is this meaningful enough for me to check it out?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

It's a really cool idea, but that's a rather short list so far... Makes me wonder why they would announce this with just 22 games on board.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started using GOG when I got a code for witcher 3 with a graphics card I bought and thought I had to download yet another Steam wannabe but GOG Galaxy is actually pretty slick and well thought out. I'm glad to see this, as at this point I actually prefer using GOG when I can.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just able to do it as well after trying all night. I think it might be more of a Steam API thing that's cause the issues. I've seen some people say the number of times it can be accessed in a day is finite.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting but not massively appealing at the moment, if you own a game on Steam and it becomes available on this list i guess there's no reason not to redeem it into your GOG account, but the whole temporary deal thing is a little awkward.
    Still, it's better than no deal, it's an extra option for people who own those games and that can't be bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

9 out of 904 games found.. hmm

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like it's working pretty well right now, if people having problems wanted to check again. I just linked up and got 5 games added to my library instantly.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.