Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Dev Story

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 09, 1997

A game company simulation game for iPhone OS, Android, and PC by Japanese studio Kairosoft.

Game Dev Story on Android?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hey all, i know that as it stands atm game dev story is only out on ipod/iphone, was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it possibly coming to Android phones? i ask coz i really want to play it however Android would really be the only way itll happen.  
    Thanks.    

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Biddy

I agree. I would get it if it came to the android. Plus, we just got Angry Bird's in beta form. I think anything is possible and nothing is exclusive.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bravetoaster

I was wondering the same thing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Seeing as it started out as a Japanese filp-phone game, I suppose it's possible. However, there wasn't much effort put into porting it over to iPhone, so I don't know if they're going to be willing to put in any more effort to port it once again to Android.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Chaser324: Well, I'm sure if it's selling well they'll be rushing to port it. I don't know if anyone besides journalists and game devs are buying it, though.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfizzy
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @Chaser324: Well, I'm sure if it's selling well they'll be rushing to port it. I don't know if anyone besides journalists and game devs are buying it, though. "
    this is what im thinking, if theres money in it for them then im sure they would do it. lets just hope it sells well. Also, from a tech standpoint, does anyone know if it would be hard to port over? 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @mrfizzy: It would be a little tricky. They have to code everything so that it works on the Android. I'm pretty sure coding for Apple and Android are very different.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @FunExplosions said:

" @Chaser324: Well, I'm sure if it's selling well they'll be rushing to port it. I don't know if anyone besides journalists and game devs are buying it, though. "

It seems to me like the hardcore gaming audience in general has really embraced the title. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed my 20 year career as head of Bad Mustache Studios, and I think anyone that's interested enough in games to be reading through forum posts on a gaming web site like this, NeoGAF, GameFAQs, etc. will probably enjoy this game about as much as I did.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrfizzy
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @mrfizzy: It would be a little tricky. They have to code everything so that it works on the Android. I'm pretty sure coding for Apple and Android are very different. "
    damn, was hoping it would be a simple process. will be annoyed if they dont port it only coz they cbf. 
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By jacdg

When they were talking about the game, I went to google to see if it was on Android, sadly it wasn't. I hope they will bring it over though, because the quality of the games on the Androidplatform is quite questionable in my opinion, most of them is stupid "slide-it" puzzles or those bubble shooters were you are trying to match colors.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

I suppose all I can do is declare that I would buy it if it were to come to Android, and hope the devs read this.  :P

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfizzy

Thought id be real smart and try and contact the devs just to ask if they had any plans and mention many people would like to see it on Android, turns out that isnt going to happen unless i learn Japanese... and im not going to learn Japanese. 

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I don't even have an Android phone :( 
    Wish they would make this on PC as well. It seems like the kind of thing I'd love to play.

CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By CrazyCraven

The android platform fragmentation is causing developers major issues in releasing games on Android. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Addfwyn

It's possible, but it's worth mentioning that Android phones have not been particularly successful in Japan, but iPhones are EVERYWHERE, so it makes sense that they'd go for the area of highest market saturation first.  There's only  a pretty limited number of Android handsets here, and none of them have been particularly good compared to the iPhone.   So I say it's unlikely for the time being, unless they are planning an android launch specifically for the international market.  

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By cardician

@Durandir said:

" I don't even have an Android phone :( Wish they would make this on PC as well. It seems like the kind of thing I'd love to play. "

Just wanted to mention that this game is on the PC but it's only available in Japanese. So if you speak Japanese, feel free to get it. There is a guide available written by a guy who does speak Japanese that can also help you navigate through the game if you really want to get it.

Also, as for difficulty in porting it over to the Android, probably not that bad because this game is originally a Japanese flip phone game. The iPhone uses a language called Objective C which is by no means an easy language to develop in, so if they were able to port it to that then porting it to the Android should actually be less effort. Stuff on the android tends to use Java and it's (at least in my experience) a much easier language than Objective C. So for talented programmers it really wouldn't be hard, really it's just an issue about there being enough money in it for them to offset the costs of doing the port.
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Creigz
    @Biddy: We got full version of Angry Birds for free a little while ago, I have it on my Hero right now. It's decent, runs better than Beta.
    Islaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Islaja

So they have released a japanese version on Android Market. I hope they're going to translate it!

FokisMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FokisMoney

Game dev story is now on the app market in ENGLISH looks to be 5 dollars, i dont get paid for 2 excruciating days, :( but i now know longer want an iphone! YAY ANDROID

CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By CrazyCraven

Best £3.03 i've ever spent. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman

Getting it now!! 

I hope my expectations for this game aren't too high.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zonerover

Great - Android is starting to get some decent games.

@JJWeatherman said:

" Getting it now!!  I hope my expectations for this game aren't too high. "
    I've played the iOS version. For all the flaws, it still hooked me in for about 6 hours straight one night.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Devil240Z

just bought the android version. Had no idea it was out.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfizzy

oh this is awesome. will be getting my android phone either for christmas or straight after it. so happy about this! 

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By babylonian

I randomly stumbled onto this in the Android market yesterday. I had no idea it was out! Bought it instantly from all the Twitter buzz and stuff. 

I really like it so far. Although the past three times a staff member has come up to me asking for a boost while working on a game project, I've said yes and dumped all my Research Data into it, and IT HAS FAILED EVERY TIME. ARGH. 

Every time my chance has been over 50% too. One time, it was even 80%! HOW DOES IT KEEP FAILING OH GOD

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrfizzy

well i got the game and i think its really great. I do get the sense that its going to take me quite a while tho. also some parts seem a bit confusing but overall its pretty amazing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.