Frank Herbert's Dune is a 3D action game based on the TV mini-series

Frank Herbert's Dune on PS2. Wait what?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I was flipping through random YT video two days ago when I saw someone playing a PS2 game that I never knew existed - Frank Herbert's Dune.

It is a bit crazy how many games came out for early playstation machines; well I guess still churn out to some extent. I don't think until this year I knew there was a TV version fo Dune, let alone that someone made a PS2 game about it. And, watching the gameplay on teh video did show me - I didn't miss much. But, it is very fascinating how games looked and played in that era of gaming. I think you could sit any gamer down in front of any of these 3rd person action and adventures and they'd know how to play them. The games are rarely great, but they all work with a few glitches sprinkled in. In fact most of teh games have a 'devil may care' attitude about their game world. In Dune fans (nerds) would know soldiers don't use laser weapons because the opposition has shilds, and ...err. shooting as shield with a laser will just start fissioning atoms - or something like that. But, this game don't care because EVERYONE KNOWS gun in teh future are lasers - nerd! So of course there are lasers!

Dragging out a PS2 would be chore, but I think watch Jeff try to play Frank Herbert's Dune, would have some entertainment value.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Oh wow, this looks like it was designed to coincide with the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries. Incredible.

That miniseries is a pretty good adaptation, by the way. If you can track down a way to see it, I recommend it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By judaspete

I agree with @bladeofcreation: The Dune mini-series isn't perfect, but is a faithful adaptation. Better than any late 90's sci-fi channel production had any right to be. They made a sequel called Children of Dune, but part one is the events of Messiah. I actually though that was even better.

But man, back then EVERYTHING got a PS2 videogame tie in.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bladeofcreation: I’d say the mini series was a decent adaptation as it gave the story room to breath as is needed for something as big as Dune, and was better than the David Lynch movie (though the Lynch film has bits that I unironically adore.) but it was pretty hammy and lost a lot of the weirdness that Dune should wear if it’s sleeve I feel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.