I want to start painting little men

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hello!

I'm looking for a new hobby, and I've always wanted to paint little Warhammer people, cause it looks fun as hell. I once bought a pack of 3 Orkz when I was 24 and painted them, and it was a lot of fun.

Now I'm older, I have a like 3% higher income, so I want to paint some miniatures

But I don't know where to start!

These are the two boxes that are the most appealing to me

Here

and

Here

But outside of buying the box, I don't know ANYTHING about what I need, what a primer is, what a "Wet palette" is, how to pick colours, anything!!

Please educate me, fans of painting people!

funkbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey!

There are a few miniature painting YouTube channels that do a great job introducing folks to the hobby. Each channel host certainly have their own style, but they all cover basically the same information. -

Vince Venturella - My favorite channel because he is an excellent teacher. He doesn't have a flashy presentation, but his information is second-to-none.
Goobertown Hobbies - Another channel with an excellent teacher. The host has a bit of a dry delivery, but his videos are chill and relaxing.
Miniac - This is the channel that I started with. I like his teaching style a lot.
Sam Lenz - Another chill dude that does a good job showing off his technique.

Some other channels I like: Ninjon, Rogue Hobbies, Midwinter Minis.

The Reddit communities for Warhammer and Miniature Painting are both super welcoming and helpful.

This hobby is fun and an excellent way to unwind. I started during the covid lockdown and it helped my mental health immensely.

Be sure to save those 3 Orks if you still have them, it's cool to look back at your first models after you've been painting for a while.

Hope this helps and have fun!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@funkbus said:

Hey!

There are a few miniature painting YouTube channels that do a great job introducing folks to the hobby. Each channel host certainly have their own style, but they all cover basically the same information. -

Vince Venturella - My favorite channel because he is an excellent teacher. He doesn't have a flashy presentation, but his information is second-to-none.

Goobertown Hobbies - Another channel with an excellent teacher. The host has a bit of a dry delivery, but his videos are chill and relaxing.

Miniac - This is the channel that I started with. I like his teaching style a lot.

Sam Lenz - Another chill dude that does a good job showing off his technique.

Some other channels I like: Ninjon, Rogue Hobbies, Midwinter Minis.

The Reddit communities for Warhammer and Miniature Painting are both super welcoming and helpful.

This hobby is fun and an excellent way to unwind. I started during the covid lockdown and it helped my mental health immensely.

Be sure to save those 3 Orks if you still have them, it's cool to look back at your first models after you've been painting for a while.

Hope this helps and have fun!

I bought some figures and paints and brushes and clippers and I should be painting by next weekend :D

funkbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sombre: heck yeah! Enjoy the hobby!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

I found getting a bunch of cheap minifigs and practicing on those was very cost-effective. It didn't just allow me to fuck up the paint job but also mess around with what brushes I liked, the paint I wanted, etc.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I just bit the bullet on a number of pretty intense story telling single player board games that come with miniatures so my wife and I are looking at getting started into this as well.

Any recommendations on starting paints? Are the kits advertised on Amazon worth it or am I better off just going to a hobbyshop the next time I'm down south and getting some advice in store?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

@junkerman: Walmart sells very cheap acrylic paints. 50 cents each (make sure you get the matte and not the gloss which costs more). It's a good variety of colors and some cheap painting supplies as well.

I'd look up some decent brand of primer to use if they're minis you hope to have for a while. And maybe a pack of washes from the more established brands like Vallejo. Then once you're most comfortable you can upgrade the paints and won't feel like you're wasting money. For the most part, the quality won't be that different.