Don't Ask Why, But An Until Dawn Movie Adaptation Is In The Works

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff
Now you will be able to see such moments like this in movie form!
Now you will be able to see such moments like this in movie form!

As reported by The Hollywood Reporter, which has since been confirmed by the named director and writer, Sony announced a film adaptation of the Until Dawn video game. The director is currently planned to be David F. Sandberg with writing duties being led by Gary Dauberman. Sandberg is best known as the director behind both Shazam films, but their horror directing credits include their directorial debut, Lights Out (2016), as well as Annabelle: Creation (2017). Dauberman is well known for being the writer and figurehead behind the Conjuring franchise and was also a co-writer behind It (2017) and It Chapter Two (2019). As The Hollywood Reporter fairly points out, in December of 2023 Dauberman signed a "first-look" deal with Sony and its Screen Gems brand, which Sony's lower-budgeted film division. A "first-look" deal likely permitted Dauberman to observe available IPs on the table Sony had not publicly disclosed to anyone else, and considering they were associated with Screen Gems, would not court a premium price tag.

The details on what this movie will be like is largely unknown at this time. What is known is that Screen Gems and Dauberman have been firm that it will be an "R-rated love letter to the horror genre, centering on an ensemble cast." Likewise, the film will not have a massive budget, a fact that Screen Gems and Dauberman have no issues with as both are familiar with working within b-tier budget constraints. For example, Dauberman's work on Annabelle: Creation topped out at a budget of $15 million despite it generating approximately $305 million worldwide. The film is another example of Sony's PlayStation Productions label attempting to ramp up its slate of IPs as 2023 saw The Last of Us court awards fervor and Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal turning profits.

Nonetheless, I don't think it's beyond those of us who played Until Dawn that following a scripted movie completely defeats the appeal of the game. Part of what made Until Dawn "special" were the wild ways it would react to your decisions and failures. And I'm hoping that a movie adaptation of Until Dawn makes changes to the core story in Until Dawn, because its ending is downright bad and the big twist is dumb goofy nonsense that is passable in a reactive videogame, but unlikely to pass muster in a film.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We don't have to ask why because we know why. Adaptations make money and video game adaptations are reasonably hot right now after Super Mario Bros. performance and some other more moderate hits like the Sonic movies.

Slap a name that a lot of people know on a lower budget movie and you're almost guaranteed to make your money back due to familiarity alone. Art has nothing to do with it, really.

Remember when they made that Uncharted movie that seems like it came out 10 years ago even though it was 2022?

$400,000,000 worldwide.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Honestly, I would watch it. I like the video game, but this is one example where I hope they don't completely follow the storyline of the game.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I wouldn't get ahead of it myself...

Games are auctioned to be adapted every week, movies are put in preproduction regularly, with directors, writers and stars being planned all the time. Remember Metal Gear? Remember Borderlands? Bioshock? God of War? Kane & Lynch?... I could do this all day...

Until there is a trailer and a release date, I wouldn't trust any of those news above the level of "rumored".

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#5 eccentrix  Online

Boom. Determinism.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Didn’t the writer of Until Dawn already make a movie called Wendigo? I guess the stories are different. Never seen the old movie.