Stubbs the Zombie returns in March...as a port!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Everyone’s favorite game running on the Halo engine is back from the (living) dead on the 16th day of March.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n44609/stubbs-the-zombie-in-rebel-without-a-pulse-port

I never played it myself and I think the Demo Derby episode where they played the demo is the most I’ve ever seen of this game. I’m also not sure how well a port of an original Xbox game will handle in 2021, but hey, it’s still cool that they’re bringing it back.

At least the soundtrack should still slap?

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they release a PC version of the port too, the original was taken off sale on steam...probably like a decade ago now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Can't say I expected this to get a remaster.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game owns. It's one of those games that I bet was a licensing nightmare. The soundtrack is a bunch of era appropriate jukebox pop covered by trendy bands from when the game released. Hopefully they didn't just scrap the music.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first achievement is great/terrible:

NameDescriptionGamerscore
That didn't age wellCompete the painfully slow, forced tutorial15
xpsync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thoroughly enjoyed this game at release on the PC, was so different and refreshing, was a lot of fun.

If it weren't for the impending ME Legendary drop, i know i'd go another round with this gem.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By apewins

I remember having fun with this game, I have a soft spot for games where you have competent AI companions (that is if you can call zombies "competent") and you don't necessarily even have to do anything other than to sit back and watch them take care of business. Most games have the wrong kind of braindead companions that put on an impressive show but don't achieve anything. Will be checking out the remaster for sure if the price is right.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

This is kind of like that MediEvil remaster that no one really asked for but like, hey, cool that it exists I guess?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

I remember being more into the character than the game.

No matter, I wish it well.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Cool. I already own it on Steam. It's crazy when you own a game on Steam they delisted. They act like it's not on steam, so now how you have pictures on the game's page and stuff it doesn't get those similar to how it looks for a game you add from your computer to steam, but it still runs and downloads fine for me. Or at least last I checked it it did. Although if I remember the game doesn't like Windows 10. I forget now- it's been a while.

It's a cool idea, and that's what always draws me back to it, but it's a really frustrating game. If it showed up on Steam again, and people started talking about it, I suspect it would be very divisive.

I love the idea behind the gameplay loop in it, though. Turning a town into zombies as the first Zombie to start the outbreak is really really cool. Unfortunately that alone, I guess, isn't enough to make a whole game around so they have other mechanics, and eventually they try to figure out other stuff for you to do and a lot of mini games are just the absolute worst. One where you have a dance off boss fight comes to mind as just absolutely maddening.

It's a shame. Like I said it has some really cool ideas, but not enough to fill out a whole game I guess.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@hatking said:

The soundtrack is a bunch of era appropriate jukebox pop covered by trendy bands from when the game released.

I feel like this is ripe for a pulled-from-a-hat randomizer. I can't wait to hear a cover of... Ballroom Blitz by... Hoobastank!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

@peezmachine: Haha not far off. It's like Earth Angel covered by Death Cab for Cutie and If I Only Had a Brain by Flaming Lips. I do think in retrospect it's excruciatingly twee, but I'm not going to lie about that album living on my iPod classic until like 2010. I think it's a pretty important, if not an absolutely crucial, part of that game's legacy, and would practically make the project pointless if they didn't have it. Imagine if that Goldeneye remaster didn't have the multiplayer. I'd say the OST is about 85% of the reason the game gets brought up still.

That said, I do remember enjoying playing it a lot. I love the concept of building a zombie horde and stomping through some dumb shit 1950's suburb. It's one of the rare games that I remember playing all the way through on a rental back when it was fresh, and the fond memories have stuck with me this long. So hopefully the gameplay stuff holds up and more folks can appreciate it for that too.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love this game, but even back when I played it originally I often found it frustrating to play.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember wanting but never getting this back when it came out. I might have to check this out (hopefully it'll be on Game Pass)