When did you stop playing?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The last couple months of 2019 and thus far of 2020 has been consumed by Stardew. I'm currently 65 hours in and in the beggining of my second winter.

I'm having a blast but I have other games calling me. I got Pokemon Sword for xmas and haven't yet taken it out the wrapper. I also just got Hyper Light Driften in sale for a tenner.

So I'm sitting here trying to decide when I want to call it quits and hang up the Hoe and put down the Pick Axe. The problem is there is just so much still to do. I'm finally get a decent supply of Iridium and upgraded my first tool using it, but I gotta stop it someplace.

My initial though was at the end of year 2, because of the grandad thing. I dont think I'll finish the community centre because I'm not all that interested in fishing, which is all I have left to do.

When did you decide to end your journey? Did you set a specific goal to meet or did you just stop once your interest had petered out? Thanks

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped around Winter Year 2. My fiancée is on something like Year 4 and together we've a farm coming into August Year 1.

Nothing really from the game stopped me from playing. I just started to spend less time with it daily and started playing other things in its place. Then eventually there was a day or two I didn't play it at all and that was that. Now with multiplayer being fully supported in it I'm back into it.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OMGFather

I usually stop in Year 4 sometime after I've done pretty much everything and just going through the daily routine (see to animals daily, make wine, wait for wine, sell, rinse and repeat).

Once you complete the community center bundles and fill out your greenhouse with what you want is a good time to stop. Though, yeah play to the end of Year 2 if you can for the slight "ending".

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's one of those "How do I know when I am satisfied" things. I haven't gone back to it in a while, but I've been thinking about it more and more lately. So I might start a new farm when I am "satisfied" with Oxygen Not Included.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I got into the third and stopped, but was so satisfied with my time with it. I have been thinking of getting back into it soon, maybe in a co-op game, and have it be refreshed with that and the new additions to the game since launch.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I stopped midway through Year 3. I had planned on stopping after I got all the achievements, because I wanted any excuse to keep playing, but some of those achievements are just awful and focusing on them sucked all the joy out of playing. I keep thinking about popping back in and poking at it some more, but...I don't think I really want to start a new farm (at least, not right now, when I have so many other games to play and I know a new game/farm would just draw me back in in a way I'm not ready for) and I don't think there's really enough to keep my playing my old game other than chasing those achievements that just aren't any damn fun.

Loved my time with the game, but there just wasn't enough there to keep me playing after a certain point.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mellotronrules

sometime after completing the bundles my drive started to evaporate and i became a little too aware of the treadmill aspect of the game.

that's no shade against stardew- i had a great time. but like anything the loop eventually starts to feel a little routine, and then it was time to move on.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soimadeanaccount

In game time my furthest game is I think at year 4; I haven't touch the game for more than a year however, so I was still in pre-multiplayer patch and before the more recent additions. the last thing I got was I think the teleporting totems and on the way to the golden clock.

I stopped playing when I felt like I was able to refine a "build order" that I was satisfy with after starting anew 3 times.

Kept meaning to go back after the new content additions and maybe give multiplayer a try, but never found the time nor bother enough of the people around me to.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

I kinda don't stop playing it. I mean, I do for a couple of months here and there after getting a save as far as I am happy with--usually sometime in year 3 or 4--but then I go back to it, start a new farm with a different focus on means of production and social progression, and play pretty consistently until that one is "done." This time I'm doing a JoJa play through, which I've never done before, with a primary production focus on mayonnaise, and I'm building a relationship with Penny. There are enough variables and self-imposed rules you can make that there is a significant amount of variety that can be had in a micro scale, if not a macro one.

It's easily near the top my favorite games of the 2010s, if not all time, and I'll likely keep playing as long as I can come up with different permutations on how to advance.