Don't sleep on this game - literally or metaphorically

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Apart from a mention or two in some GOTY lists, I haven't seen a lot of talk about Sakuna on the site either from the staff or the community. That's sort of a shame, as this game has a ton of spirit and one of the more unique, coolest backbones I've seen in a while. Sakuna is a mix of two very distinct genres. One is a traditional platformer beat-em-up with extremely short levels - you can beat most of them in just under a couple minutes or so.

The other, stranger part of the game is a rice growing simulation. There's no other crop you need to grow, just rice - and it is weirdly detailed, to the point where you'll eventually start sifting rice with mud and water for the ideal mix. Look, I don't understand the specifics of why I'm doing what I'm doing with this, but it is crazy how I'm now into keeping my water levels just right, or looking at temperatures for the day, or pounding the rice with a mortar and pestle.

Growing rice is how you boost your stats, both on a temporary basis through nightly meals with other foods collected during your platforming elements, or through more permanent boosts at the end of the growing season, where you're rated on the quality and quantity of your rice. The stat boosts help you with the platforming, which unlocks more of the island you're stuck on. More gameplay elements are lightly tacked on as the game progresses, driving you to come back to some levels to either grnd out quests or explore new areas with new abilities.

It's a gorgeous game, too, with its animations and controls feeling pretty tight. The enemy AI is lacking, as is the variety of mobs you'll face, but the combat's so breezy it's hard to not like it. The story is damned charming too. There's nothing you probably haven't seen in anime or anime-inspired games before, but the rice growing again adds such a unique dimension to the game it's kind of a neat new take.

Anyways, give it a shot. I'm playing on Switch and it runs pretty well. Some slowdown when there are a lot of enemies on screen, but nothing game breaking.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought this was going to be like.. Muramasa but with some farming in it. Instead of a Rice Simulator with a little combat. But it's stronger for it I think? It's super weird in a very endearing way. Really wish I understood what they were going for with the control scheme while in the rice plot but otherwise I don't have a lot of bad things to say about it.

Also I love Sakuna and the very specific kind of horrible gremlin child that she is.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Oh yeah, those controls are baffling. Planting is the worst - like tank controls, but backwards.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Like I think the idea is that it wants you to be able to move backwards in a line and be able to plant as you go, since that's kind of the method of planting rice they present but... if you breath to hard on the stick in the process you'll go off in a wild direction and crap up your entire field.

It never seems to grade you too harshly if it happens but dammit I know that it looks like shit now.

denisxcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely gonna pick this up on PC once I'm done with my (not that large) backlog!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But why not sleep on it literally? Is the case particularly sharp or something? Couldn’t you just put it in a Steelbook or something if you’re worried about damaging it?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I'd show you the indentation in my backside, but that would violate GB's rules, the Geneva Convention, a thousand laws, and the Falkland Island peace talks. God and Superman together couldn't repair all the damage done to eyeballs. Vogons would have to wipe the whole slate clean all over again.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember being excited when the Japanese trailer hit in the Japanese version of whatever Nintendo Direct that was. I don't know how I feel about the end product though based on your description.

I was thinking it was a 50/50 farming action-platformer. Seems like it's more... 70/30? I love the idea of the farming genre of games, but neither Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing (is this a farmer though?) really held my attention. I'll probably pick it up on PC whenever there's a decent sale on it, though. Give it a decent shot.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myke_tuna: It really varies depending on the season you're in. Spring and fall are busy times because you're either planting or harvesting. Harvesting in particular can take a long time if you've grown a lot of rice, but you gain abilities and new equipment to help expedite it. It probably comes out to a rough 50/50 split, but it does help to have a few saves as backups because I'll often eat a bunch of stat boosting food one night only to realize the next day I need to plant or something.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: i have this game sitting on my shelf waiting to be played, but regardless your write-up made me ready to fire it up. Nice job

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mackdack

I’m going to look into this title for sure! I messed around with it at PAX and enjoyed what I saw.

Quick question about the isle of demons in game. How “demonic” is it? I DO try to stay clear of heavily demon inspired games like Diablo, but I recognize that in Japanese lore demons are necessarily Christian western demons. Is it more mythological?

Thanks! Just looking for some clarification and don’t want to make a purchase I won’t really play on Switch.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mackdack: The "demons" are mostly just creative riffs on animals. Rabbits tossing explosives, flying schools of fish, etc. It's all very cartiony and light.