[Video Essay] GAME: The Relationship Between Video Games and The Modern Thriller

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Hi! I'm not active on the forums, but I've been a GB-head for a while, and made something recently that I thought might interest some fellow duders.

With the recent influx of horror/thriller films like 10 Cloverfield Lane, Don't Breathe, It Follows, The Shallows, etc., I noticed a recurring feeling amongst the lot: a video game-like logic in their core systems. In this video essay, I explore the simple (aesthetic, action) and complex (structure, choice) ways video games and films (especially of this type) dance around and intertwine with each other, simultaneously influencing one another.

Aside from the subject of the video, I was highly eager to develop this because of video essays becoming a flourishing new sect of journalism and documentary work. I'm sure a lot of us here support Danny O'Dwyer's noclip (whether literally or spiritually), and the popularity of video channels like Every Frame a Painting, Nerdwriter1, and many others is super encouraging. It's a fun medium!

I hope you guys enjoy my first major foray into the form. But also, let's chat! Did you feel a similar sensation with these films I discussed? Do you know of any more examples? Is this garbage?

Anyway, Happy New Year <3