That police dispatch noise. You know. That one.

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KommanderCevin

There is this one movie sound clip that I hear all the time, very cliche. I've even heard it in some video games so if we can figure this out there is maybe a concept page to be made. It is a female police dispatcher squawking over the radio, just a couple of words at most. Very clipped, very short and often in the background of a scene coming out of a parked squad car during some city wide emergency. 

The best clue I can give you is that it sounds a lot like the name "Kosturbanic." This comes up because I met someone with that last name and as soon as I heard it I realized that was the perfect word to use when trying to replicate the sound. The sound clip really doesn't sound like anything intelligible, so having this near-synonym to give your mouth shape works wonders in replicating the sound accurately. 

Now mild internet sleuthing has not turned up any results for me. I was under the impression it would be a well known sound clip like the Wilhelm scream since ever one I've described it too in person has instantly gotten the reference. So I turn to you, Giant Bomb community: name that sound!

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Suicrat

I think I know the sound. I've heard it everywhere from Law & Order to Sim City. To me it sounds like: "breaker one-point-one for celibacy" and that's what I call it.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By recroulette

Someone give me a video link with that sound in it?

Edit : Is it this one? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklA4-ACN4k

that combined with this from tvtropes.org

Generic police radio: a female voice going "Seven eight six five, code six, one-oh-five North Avenue . . ."

• That, or some other police radio stock sound, was used throughout the Grand Theft Auto series and in Sim City 3000 when one builds a police station.
KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By KommanderCevin

Yes, that's extremely similar to the sound I have in mind. Definitely in the same vein. One of the games I had in mind for it was actually Sim City 2000. Pity it isn't named.

nutinurgut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nutinurgut

ive heard it a thousand times and i thinks its "clear the southbound 128th"

joeyt5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friends, I literally just joined this site because this is the first post I ever have come across regarding the Female Dispatcher voice that is heard in almost any movie with a squad car. I have long recognized it thru my movie watching experience, and was sparked to investigate it online after watching Pelham 123. I have been able to make out the majority of what she says, due to the fact that my father is a police officer in a major city. But, what she actually says is, "COMPLAINT AT..." and then she trails off into a series of numbers.

Anyways, thanks for helping me find something that had to do with this common Hollywood cliche

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By golguin
Loading Video...

What comes to mind is the one from COPS. It's in the start of the ending theme.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Between my friends, the one we're familiar with is now know simply as '5 George K', though apparently that's a different one from the one you guys are talking about. Maybe its a UK thing.

Loading Video...

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zeg said:

Between my friends, the one we're familiar with is now know simply as '5 George K', though apparently that's a different one from the one you guys are talking about. Maybe its a UK thing.

Loading Video...

I remember this one purely from the first GTA game. 5 George K is burned into my childhood memories

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 49th

I feel like they could just say gibberish as long as it still sounds like a fuzzy radio voice.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Whoop whoop, dats da sound of da police!!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure this topic is about this stock audio clip.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Yes! I always hear this sound clip whenever it's used, and the Howie Scream, ever since hearing it all the time in Crash Bandicoot.

HGrace4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HGrace4

I'm pretty sure this topic is about this stock audio clip.

That is it! Right there! However it does seem like they always use some type of filter over the soundbite, because it never sounds as "clean" as that clip there. So cool though, that is definitely it, I have been hearing this sound clip for seriously as long as I can remember (I am 23 years of age currently), in any and every type of media that includes sound in it. I just heard it again in an X-Files season 1 episode right now, and NEEDED to see if I could find it. So thanks mosespippy!

P.S. Oh yeah, Hey Zeg, the British dude, I really think that sound clip is a UK thing... because I can honestly say I can not remember hearing that one ever here in the US, and I have a pretty keen ability to remember things like that.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now all i can think of this:

Loading Video...

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread makes me happy the internet exists. How could people ever find random stuff like this before?

cardiacscanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cardiacscanner

YES! This sound clip has driven me nuts for years. Im the only person I know that seems to notice it, which freaks me out that everyone is so brain dead that they don't realize it either. Its even in a Sublime song. Its everywhere. Why cant they get a different sound clip? Its driven me nuts for years!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By CaLe

There's a certain metal door/gate closing sound that's used everywhere and that bothers me. Did they just decide they found the perfect sound and stop making more? I want more differentiation in my metal gate closing noises. Oh and many bears have the exact same roar in games. Don't think I don't notice it.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By nutta27

It's used soooo much in worlds scariest police chasers on ps1 a terrible terrible game I once owned.

Tremayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn you, internet. For years I've been hearing that same police radio sound from GTA in movies, tv shows etc and I always thought of it as some Chicago "find George Kane" clip and no, its been right here on Giant Bomb all along.

Thank you so much!

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah! Like everyone else, I'm so glad that I googled this after hearing it on a PBS clip featured on Last Week Tonight. I've heard it for years and my wife thinks I'm crazy for pointing it out in anything we watch together. I was shocked to find the thread on Giantbomb after just spending the day streaming E3 press conferences here :)

And in my head, I always came up with the nonsensical "Seventy-eight, five, code six! Suspect blah blah blah."

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutta27 said:

It's used soooo much in worlds scariest police chasers on ps1 a terrible terrible game I once owned.

Back as a Blockbuster employee when it was released, your comment released a flood of nostalgia. It was one of a bunch of low-budget PS1 releases put out after the PS2 launch that I used my free rentals on. It was so terrible!